FLORIDABIRDS-L October 2002

LEON COUNTY FALL MIGRATION UPDATE

Keith MacVicar <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:33:31 EDT

text/plain

THE NIMROD, VOL. 1, NO. 7 (OCTOBER 2002)

THE NIMROD is a publication devoted to ornithology of Leon County.

SPRINGHILL ROAD SEWAGE TREATMENT FACILITY:  On 28 SEP an EARED GREBE was at
the easternmost holding pond (GEM, Ed Woodruff, Michael Evans).  This species
has become an annual fall transient at SRSTF, and county-wise has been
reported much earlier than the Horned Grebe which is more a late October
bird; such assessment is well in line with a statement in the
Stevenson/Anderson "THE  BIRDLIFE OF FLORIDA" (p. 23).  Leon County's
earliest fall arrival date for the Eared Grebe is 29 AUG 1988 (Jim Cavanagh),
that for the Horned Grebe 22 OCT 1996 (GEM).  During transient fall plumage,
the two species have at times been misidentified one for the other, so
time-of-year can be a pertinent guideline in determining identity of either
bird.

On 27 SEP Jim Cavanagh recorded a ROSEATE SPOONBILL in striking adult
plumage.  This species is usually seen locally in anemic juvenile pinkish
garb.  This is Leon County's 4th record since June, three at SRSTF.

By end of September, at least 14 shorebirds had been reported, most notable
of which was WILSON'S PHALAROPE (2 individuals on 7 SEP; Rob Lengacher, GEM)
marking the first appearance county-wise since fall 2000.  THE OLD NUMBERS
GAME:  On 11 SEP John Murphy of Alligator Point went to SRSTF to add said
species to his Life List but noted presence there of only one such
individual.  Somewhat perplexed, I returned to said site the next day and met
Jim Cavanagh who collaborated to find THREE such birds.  Indeed it pays to
look THRICE as birds at SRSTF can most certainly relocate themselves,
especially at the largest holding pond.  I am thankful that "Phalaropus
tricolor" will at times attract attention to itself by "spin-feeding",
although the Lesser Yellowlegs has also been known to so spin, and I could
cite one experienced field ornithologist, also myself, who have been so
fooled with attendant chagrin/embarrassment.  Pough (Water Bird Guide)
documents that the species "has been recorded to have made as many as 247
consecutive spins", and I noted such counter-clockwise movement on 24 SEP,
also reflected that such spinning back on 7 SEP may have been CLOCK-wise but
ain't sure (what about that, Rob?).  Getting back to the numbers game, a
conversation with a birding newcomer, Jack Skalicky,  convinced me that he
had indeed counted up to SIX Wilson's Phalaropes at SRSTF as of 15 SEP which
would be a record number-ever county-wise.

Other interesting numbers were 2, then 1, then 5 (J.  Skalicky) AMERICAN
AVOCETS during 23 AUG - 15 SEP (Could there have been EIGHT Avocents in all?
Oh, that numbers game!  Avocets are good at that!)

Report of a CASPIAN TERN on 29 SEP (S.P. McCool) extended that species'
ongoing county presence to a record span of 101 days.  Caspians have likely
been commuting from the Gulf Coast, and one wonders, hopefully, if such
commuting will continue indefinitely.  A BLACK TERN on 3 SEP (GEM) may well
have been this fall's first and last (?) county report.

Of considerable interest, the White Ibis has become a summer fixture at SRSTF
in recent years.  There was a time when your editor had to "scrounge" for
summer sightings county-wise.

DUCKS:  OLD BUSINESS - Bereft of a mate as of 10 JUN, a male LESSER SCAUP
remained throughout summer and was still present toward the end of September.
 DUCKS:  NEW BUSINESS - Two NORTHERN SHOVELERS  on 13 SEP (J. Skalicky)
joined already present Blue-winged Teal, issuing in Leon's pending fall
waterfowl parade (entailing I.D.'s of "tricky" females).

COUNTY BIRD HAPPENINGS ELSEWHERE:  On 3 SEP Harry Hooper kayaked Lake Jackson
and encountered an AMERICAN BITTERN.  Said date ties Leon's earliest
September date.  Good show!, HaHo, AND sail on...and on...and on, but do
report back, especially American Bitterns!

Leon's first fall report of a Northern Harrier was at Lake Jackson's N. Hwy.
27 landing on 26 SEP.

In mid-September Dana Bryan reported that the LIMPKIN has taken up residence
at Lake Munson due to presence there of a certain Apple Snail.  N.B., HaHo -
sounds like some kayaking is also in order at said lake.

On 21 SEP Michael Evans and Ed Woodruff recorded a juvenile BLACK-BILLED
CUCKOO at San Luis Mission Park - about as rare a fall bird as any in these
parts.

I remember when ornithologist Henry M. Stevenson was reluctant to accept for
publication ANY local record of the YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER.  Times have
changed and county-wise there have since been a number of well-documented
reports by credible birders, i.e., one reported by Jim Cavanagh at the Jue's
residence (Dorchester Center) on 16 SEP.

On 14 SEP Fran Rutkovsky reported a CANADA WARBLER at her residence on
Brookforest Drive and, surprisingly, single Canadas were also reported by Rob
Lengacher on 28 SEP (Wahala Nene) and Dean and Sally Jue on 29 SEP
(Dorchester Center).  THREE in one season is most likely a county record.

RE ROBERT WHITE WILLIAMS BIRDING TRAIL (Black Swamp II or Black Swamp East):
As of July, I have listed NINE more species for RWW, namely, Yellow-crowned
Night Heron, Mississippi Kite, Wild Turkey, White-breasted Nuthatch, Scarlet
Tanager, Lark Sparrow (David Harder, 15 SEP), Black-billed Cuckloo (17 SEP),
probable (pre-dawn) WHIP-POOR-WILL (25 SEP) and Common Ground-Dove.
For-what-it's-worth, I recommend RWW as the best current birding site in Leon
County.  Was pleased to see two consorting Kentucky Warblers there on 4 OCT.

SURSUM CORDA ("Elevation"):  On 15 SEP the first six warblers I recorded at
south Lake Jackson were each a different species and, with the exception of
two Yellow Warblers, this trend continued with six more warblers at San Luis
Mission Park (13 individuals in all).  During 16-17 SEP, I added six
additional warbler species and had by then to "deal with" only 31 individual
birds.  Eighteen warbler species in three days was "uplifting" as said number
is pretty good going for this old laid-back NIMROD.  Missed my favorite,
however, - the Yellow-throated.  The Hooded is a close second, although "me
gustan todas in general".  Unfortunately, upward warbler viewing can be
neck-wracking, as I currently so ache.  Nevertheless - SURSUM CORDA!

CORRIGENDA:  In the September issue of THE NIMROD, I referred to an American
Kestrel at the Tram Road Water Treatment Facility on 8 AUG as "early
county-wise".  Local ornithologist Jim Cox has suggested that said bird "was
actually a nearby breeder that was doing a bit of summer wandering" and his
point is well taken as I am well aware of Kestrels breeding in the southern
part of Leon County, having monitored a nesting site there (Springhill Road)
in the 1980s and Wilson Baker having reported a pair in the vicinity during
the summer of 1992.  Don't know why I said "county-wise", but won't hedge - a
goof is a goof.  Thanks, Jim, for your response and I am gratified that you
read THE NIMROD.

LEON COUNTY FALL WARBLER PARADE 2002 AS OF SEPTEMBER:  Many thanks to those
county birders who continue reporting quantitative warbler sightings either
via nflbirds e-mail, snail mail (rhymes with Gail) or word of mouth.  Listed
below from left to right are September's species totals followed by
cumulative numbers by end of that month.  Pre-September totals can be had by
subtracting the September totals on the left from the cumulative totals on
the right.  YELLOW WARBLER still holds a commanding lead but all bets are off
as the cognizant county birder well knows how such dark horses as Parula,
Palm, Yellowthroat, Redstart, Tennessee, et al, could quickly cut into such a
headstart.  Final results are to be published in the November issue of THE N
IMROD.

44   Yellow Warbler                   176
51   Northern Parula                    80
25   Black-and-white Warbler       41
31   Hooded Warbler                   39
33   Northern Waterthrush           38
20   Pine Warbler                       34
31   Chestnut-sided Warbler        31
19   Prairie Warbler                     27
23   Common Yellowthroat          25
24   Kentucky Warbler                24
20   American Redstart               22
13   Blue-winged Warbler            13
13   Palm Warbler                      13
 9    Worm-eating Warbler           11
 6    Prothonotary Warbler             9
 5    Yellow-throated Warbler`        8
 8    Blackburnian Warbler             8
 7    Tennessee Warbler                7
 5    Magnolia Warbler                   6
 4    Cerulean Warbler                   6
 3    Golden-winged Warbler          3
 3    Canada Warbler                    3
 2    Ovenbird                               2
 2    Brewster's Hybrid                     2
 0    Louisiana Waterthrush           2

Birders may still contribute to this "Warblerama" (coinage, David Harder).
All daily sightings are welcomed; don't worry about day-to-day possible same
individuals.  All quantitative sightings per given day are solicited.

SETTING THE TONE:  On 27 AUG your editor ventured to Forest Meadows (North
Meridian Road) in search of Overbirds and/or Hooded Warblers, and while
there, reflected on a skillfully essayed account by ornithologist Robert
White Williams of 98 years ago which I submit is worthy of reprint and sets
the tone for autumnal birding in Leon County:

......... "Of the pleasant recollections of the fall of 1904 none will remain
so indelibly impressed on my memory as those of the [Hooded Warbler].  The
dry and lifeless skin of this bird excites more than ordinary appreciation of
the beauties of natural things, so how much more intense must be that feeling
when one can spend a morning in a beautiful virgin forest inhabited by
several pairs of the living birds?  In my former paper I was in great doubt
as to the status of this bird with us.  I said it was a migrant, never
abundant.  So the matter stood until August, 1904, when the spirit of fall
possessed me and I took myself to Lively's Woods [north of Leon High School]
for recreation and relief from the endless vexations and annoyances of a
professional life.  No sooner had I climbed the wire fence than my presence
disturbed a pair of these birds which was feeding on the ground near the edge
of the woods.  Their characteristic alarm notes resounded through the forest
and I was deeply sensible of the position I occupied - that of an unwelcomed
trespasser upon the domains of at least one of the legitimate proprietors of
that bounty of providence.  The birds were in a high state of plumage, which
stood out in well defined contrast to their dull-colored surroundings, for
the Hooded Warbler is a bird of the earth, his ambition rarely taking him
into the higher trees.  Contented he is to spend his days among the fallen
leaves or in the humbler growth of swamp or forest.  There he shines and
lives and is happy.  There were six or eight pairs of them in this woodland
and when the necessities of the times did not demand my presence elsewhere I
could enjoy an hour or two in their midst watching their every movement with
my field glasses.  They seemed always actively in search of food though they
went at it very deliberately, in fact the bird has a phlegmatic disposition,
in the fall at any rate, and its movements are strangely different from those
of any warbler I know.  On Oct 16 they were still there.  On the 26th an
oppressive silence reigned throughout the woodland - they had gone".

Alas!, they had gone and so for RWW, back to those "endless vexations and
annoyances of a professional life" (Ah!  Retirement!).  On 27 AUG your editor
recorded at least 3 Hooded Warblers, though, alas!, no Ovenbirds.

Fellow Nimrods, I would also submit that when the necessities of the times do
not absolutely demand your presence elsewhere, it's still not too late to OFF
IT TO THE WOODS and gather fall warblers.

SURSUM CORDA

GAIL E. MENK
Editor, THE NIMROD
2725 Peachtree Drive