FLORIDABIRDS-L November 2002

North Florida Birding

David Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:28:03 EST

text/plain

Hi all,

Wes Biggs, Dick Novier, Erik Haney & I took a five day trip to north Florida
11/23-11/27. We totaled 158 species for the trip. Highlights were:
Late Black-throated Green warbler at Ft. George Island/Kingsley Plantation
near Jax on 11/23.
2 Winter Wrens at Florida Caverns SP 11/25.
Lots of Henslow's Sparrows along SR 379 in Apalachicola National Forest 11/25.
1 Lesser Nighthawk on the causeway into Apalachicola 11/25
2 Sprague's Pipits at the Apalachicola Airport 11/26
1 White-winged Scoter at Alligator Point (no other scoters)! 11/26.
A raft of 200+ Common Loons off from the KOA at Alligator Point.
1 Cave Swallow at Wakulla Beach 11/27
Leconte's Sparrow at St. Marks NWR 11/27
We couldn't find a single Junco or Pine Siskin anywhere. However, there were
multitudes of Golden-crowned Kinglets everywhere! We also missed the Rusty
Blackbird that Ron Smith had at the second bridge inside St. Marks. We also
observed Erik dissappearing as if by magic or alien abduction into the marsh
at Wakulla Beach, and Wes Biggs doing the "Sedge Wren Stomp" near
Apalachicola (details provided only upon request, accompanied by a doctor's
medical clearance).

Dave Goodwin
St. Petersburg, FL
"Quick Hoatzin, the game's afoot!"