FLORIDABIRDS-L November 2002

October visit (long) second attempt)

Jim Frost <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:18:59 EST

text/plain

First attempt seemed to become converted to code! Second try...

I thought you might be interested to see my trip report, produced by a brit
for an essentially British audience. Apologies in advance if any of the
comments are considered offensive (US immigration) or patronising (Jacaranda
Hotel), but I thought it best to post the "warts and all" version.

Florida 21st - 30st October 2002

Jim and Megan Frost

Background

This trip actually started in Nova Scotia, Canada, where we had a family
wedding to attend. We were there from 17th to 21st. We knew the birding in
maritime Canada would be pretty thin by late October, and the discovery that
we could get to Florida for only £5 each more than the cost of our scheduled
flights to Halifax NS made a visit to that state too good to resist.

The weather in Nova Scotia was a real "Indian Summer", although chilly at
night. It was nice to see common loons and belted kingfishers at close range,
but with passerine migration nearly over, only a handful of migrants were
seen, Yellow-rumped Warbler being the most common.

The only new birds for us in Canada (we had been to Pelee in May 1999) were
Hooded Merganser, American Bittern, and Song Sparrow. Flocks of Black Ducks,
Surf Scoters and Black Scoters were moving through, but the scarcer wildfowl
had not yet arrived.

We had decided not to do the long trip to the Florida Keys because of the
limited time available, and the fact that the star breeding birds on the Dry
Tortugas would be absent. We therefore concentrated the rest of our North
American holiday on central and southern Florida.

Daytime temperatures during our visit were in the high 80s. It was often
partially cloudy, but rain was restricted to the occasional late evening or
overnight thunderstorm. The only pre-booked accommodation was for our first
night, since we were in the low season and accommodation was cheap and
plentiful.

Species seen everywhere in suitable habitat were Pied-billed Grebe, the two
vultures, American Kestrel, Red-shouldered Hawk, Double-crested Cormorant,
Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Belted Kingfisher, Mourning and Feral Rock
Doves, Boat-tailed Grackle, Northern Mockingbird, American Crow, Blue Jay,
Loggerhead Shrike and Palm Warbler. The warbler was on almost every rural
roadside and footpath.

Daily Summary

Site references are to the pages in Bill Pranty's essential book.

21st The first day was a nightmare. A 4am start was needed to drive to
Halifax airport for our flight to Toronto. Our itinerary then gave us an hour
to make the connecting flight to Orlando.  I had queried this, but was told
that scheduled flights are never late. Predictably, our flight was 30 minutes
late and we were then given a hard time by the notoriously unpleasant US
immigration service, so the onwards flight had to wait 20 minutes for us to
board. Predictably the gate for our flight was the furthest from immigration,
so we had to run the length of the terminal.

After landing at Orlando International, we used the Hertz courtesy bus to go
to collect our hire car (Brown-headed Cowbird there), and promptly got
completely lost en route to our motel, the Alligator Lakeside Inn on US192 in
St Cloud.

We were more than a little frazzled by evening, but a drop of duty-free
helped, as did a large flight of Sandhill Cranes on their way to roost over
the lake. The only other species seen before dark were the ubiquitous
Boat-tailed Grackles and American Crows. Our two daughters stayed with us the
first night before pursuing their own agenda in Florida.

22nd Our original plan had been to go to the Atlantic coast, but we had to
return to Orlando to recover my elder daughter's mislaid Visa card, which
lost us the morning. We stayed local in the afternoon, picking up Mottled
Duck and confiding Fish Crow at Alligator Lake, behind our motel. We then
went to Kaliga Park (p153).

We were astonished at the tameness of most birds, with Sandhill Cranes, White
Ibises, Cattle Egrets, Little Blue Heron and Tricoloured Herons all seen
within yards of the busy Lakeshore Boulevard Road. Two cranes were actually
foraging in a front garden. The undisturbed trees as the eastern end of the
road gave us the first of many Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker and Pine Warbler.

Later, we drove Joe Overstreet Road (p155). Good views of American Kestrel,
Red-shouldered Hawk and Black Vulture on the drive to the lake, with
Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers, Least Flycatcher and yellow-breasted Chat on the
fences and bushes. Only a handful of Sandhills were seen, but two Whooping
Cranes were with them. The boat launching area on Lake Kissimee at the end of
the road gave us Anhinga, Northern Harrier, a very close Bald Eagle, Glossy
Ibises, Killdeer, Lesser Yellowlegs and Eastern Meadowlark. We could not stay
long due to the lateness of the hour, but the return drive up Joe Overstreet
gave us a small flock of Wild Turkeys.

23rd: We used US 192 and Interstate 95 for a speedy run to Merritt Island
(p176), near Canaveral. Bizarrely, a group of four Wood Storks were seen
feeding in muddy area of road works on US192.  Brown Pelicans were seen from
the island causeway, and their White cousins shortly after on the Black Point
Wildlife Drive.

The first Reddish and Snowy Egrets supplemented the usual herons and ibises,
all allowing close approach by our car. The Mottled Ducks, Blue-Winged Teals
and American Wigeons were much more wary. Reddish egrets are fascinating to
watch, with a foraging technique straight out of Monty Python.

Ospreys were common, and there was the odd Bald Eagle. The only terns still
around were good numbers of Royal and Gull-billed, and Laughing Gull was the
only larid here or elsewhere. The more notable shorebirds included Greater
Yellowlegs, Willet, and probable Long-billed Dowitcher.

The only new passerines seen were Eastern Phoebe and Savannah Sparrow. On our
return to St Cloud, we made a second visit to Kaliga Park. The usual trees
turned up Gnatcatcher, Black-and-white Warbler and Yellow-throated Warbler,
and we had a distant view of a much-desired Snail Kite.

24th: A day later than intended, we took US 192, US441 and Florida's Turnpike
to Florida City. This is a 200-mile drive, but these roads are fast. The
Turnpike cost about $10, a cheap price to pay for avoiding Interstate 95 on
the Miami stretch. Our second base was the Best Western Hotel in Florida City
(Common Mynah here).

In the early afternoon we went to nearby Castellow Hammock Park (p230) in
Homestead. We had White-winged Dove, Collared Dove (!), Ruby-throated
Hummingbird and Great Crested Flycatcher at the Visitors Centre, but the
nature trail produced little of note except more Ruby-throats. We were told
that a Painted Bunting had briefly visited the feeders earlier in the day.

Next stop was Homestead Airport. This is the small airfield just off Pranty's
map accessed via Avocado Drive, not the big USAF base. We asked for
permission to look for the Burrowing Owls and were amazed to be taken around
each active nest site in the airfield's pick-up truck. Another Meadowlark was
the best of the other species here. The final stop was the Homestead power
substation (p230) where the masses of Monk Parakeets were unmissable,
particularly as, they build unique stick nests rather than using holes like
other parrots.

25th: We spent Friday in the Everglades (p234). We had more Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds at the Visitors Centre and then moved on to Royal Palm (getting
Peregrine en route) and the famous Anhinga Trail. Anhingas were approachable
to within a foot or two, as shown in the Gosney video. We also had excellent
views of American Bittern, Green-backed Heron and Pileated Woodpecker, as
well as Alligator and Snapping Turtle. The Gumbo Limbo trail also at Royal
Palm produced little but mosquitoes.

We stopped at the various ponds on the way through the Everglades, but water
levels were high and there was little of interest, although the trees around
the car parks produced American Redstart, Black-and-white Warbler, White-eyed
Vireo, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Catbird and Eastern Phoebes.

Eco Pond, nearest Flamingo, was the best site with the usual herons, White
Ibis, two Snail Kites (male and female), Northern Rough Winged Swallow, Tree
Swallow and Northern Parula. Despite our luck, I don't think the Everglades
are as easy a site for the kites as the Kissimee area.

The mud flats off Flamingo gave us a bonus tick in the recently-split
American Greater Flamingo, Roseate Spoonbills, both pelicans, Ospreys, Willet
and Short-billed Dowitcher. We had a snack outside  the shop,  with five
birds foraging around our feet for scraps. These were two crows, a Laughing
Gull, and, most impressively, two fearless Black Vultures. We make sure that
we didn't doze off!

26th: We headed west along US41 to the Gulf Coast. A stop for a short walk on
the start of the Shark Valley Loop (p199) gave us two more American Bitterns,
Black-capped Night Heron, Cape May, Yellow-throated and Black and White
Warblers. We later discovered that Limpkins, the main reason for our stop,
are never seen at this end of the trail, but are virtually guaranteed if we
had taken the clockwise direction.

A Crested Caracara flew across US41 as we headed west, and there was an
impressive sight of many Wood Storks and Roseate Spoonbills riding a thermal.

We did the detour in Pranty through Big Cypress on CR841 and CR837, but saw
little of interest other than red-shouldered Hawks, two Chimney Swifts and a
Yellow-breasted Chat.

We picked up SR29 again, and headed through the poor town of Imokalee to
Corkscrew Swamp (p203).

Again the high water level was frustrating, and we failed to see Limpkin,
Barred Owl or any rails. Land birds included Downy Woodpecker, Great Crested
Flycatcher, White-eyed Vireo and Brown Thrasher.

We arrived at our third base, the Best Western on Sanibel Island (p191) in
the late afternoon. The causeway islands and the hotel's beach had Brown
Pelicans, Royal and Sandwich Terns, Western and Semi-palmated Sandpipers and
Willet. The waders and the White Ibises all happily shared the beach with
people and would allow approach to a few feet.

27th Still on Sanibel Island, we visited JN "Ding" Darling Refuge  (p191). We
started well with 10 Magnificent Frigatebirds flying low over our heads,
presumably from a roost. There were many pelicans, ibises, spoonbills and
Woodstorks, but nothing else that we had not seen before. The causeway
islands added Wilson's plover to our trip list, but not the anticipated
Skimmers, Avocet or Stilt.

A second visit to Ding Darling at low tide produced little more other than
yellowlegs and Black-bellied Plovers, although American Crocodile was a
bonus, so we spent the rest of the afternoon on the beach and swimming in the
"warm bath" sea. Two distant frigatebirds were the only real distraction,
since the waders and terns were the usual suspects.

28th We took a long detour (unnecessary as it turned out) south down
Interstate 75 to the Briggs Nature Centre (p196) for Florida Scrub Jay. Four
were seen on arrival along the road near the centre. The nature trail
produced Catbird, Pine Warbler, White-eyed Vireo and Indigo Bunting, but
there was nothing of consequence from the estuary watchpoint.

Back north again on the Interstate, SR80 and SR29 to Venus Flatwoods (p167).
This is now fenced off, and the view from the road added only Red-headed
Woodpecker, rather than the hoped-for Red Cockaded.

We continued north to the "flycatcher ponds"  (p163) produced no flycatchers,
but Scrub Jays were common in this area. We also had two or three Florida
form Red-tailed Hawks.

Driggers Road (p163) is not now as described in the book, and is a complete
waste of time.

Our final base was the Jacaranda Hotel in Avon Park, historic (by American
standards-it's as old as our house), cheap, but basic in facilities.

29th Our first site was Kissimee State Park (p155), with more Glossy Ibises
on the way. This very pleasant reserve had many passerines, including
Carolina Wren, Tufted Titmouse, Yellow-throated and Black and White Warblers.
Pileated, Downy and Red-bellied Woodpecker were all seen well. The lake was
too distant for the Observation Tower to give us more than a view from above
of Red-shouldered Hawks.

We then wasted a good deal of the day, first of all by getting hopelessly
lost on minor roads on our "shortcut" to Disney Wilderness Preserve (p153),
and secondly by going to that reserve. The longish drive in produced nothing,
and we were disinclined to pay to enter the section after the car park, given
that it was a very hot afternoon and the similar habitat outside was giving
nothing away.

We therefore drove the Southport Park road (p153), which was surprisingly
good. We saw Common Ground Doves, Short-tailed Hawk, four Bald eagles,
several Ospreys and two Crested Caracaras, the latter perched conspicuously
on top of the trees north of the road. The car park by the lake had the usual
herons.

30th Our final day was drive back to Orlando to get the flight to Toronto,
for an overnight stay with relatives before returning to Heathrow.

Hindsight…

October is not the best month for a visit to Florida, although most of the
birds we wanted to see are resident. Similarly, a longer period in the state
would have been helpful. However, we had no real choice about these factors
due to other constraints.

We lost a morning through no fault of our own, but the doubling back to
Briggs was bad planning. We should have gone there first before Corkscrew and
Sanibel. We missed Red-cockaded Woodpecker and Brown-headed Nuthatch because
our only visited site, Venus Flatwoods, was inaccessible.

We should have include Prairie Lakes or Avon Park USAF base in our itinerary
to give us another chance for the woodland specialities, and omitted Venus
and Disney reserves.