SIBLEY SIGHTING

"Stephen E. Chalmers" <[log in to unmask]>

Stephen E. Chalmers

Mon, 4 Nov 2002 00:32:23 -0500

text/plain

My brother sends me greetings from Chicago with the following report which will no doubt interest some Florida birders.

----- Original Message -----
From: John P. Chalmers
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 11:34 PM
Subject: SIBLEY REPORT

"It was Sibley solo and I will not see him again soon. He remarked that he began looking at birds and drawing them at the age of 7. He also said that he dropped out of college about 1980 in order to spend full-time looking at birds. Furthermore, his decision was partly inspired by Ken Kaufman, who had recently finished a year touring the country, looking at 700 species, and eating cat food.

"Through November 10th we are having the 13th annual Chicago Humanities Festival, to which lecturers, authors, performers, artists, dancers, etc. come from around the country to present programs.  This year there are a number devoted to birds, including tours of the Field Museum of Natural History and lectures by Sibley and Kaufman.

"Here are some of my notes.  Remember that these are cuff notes and are my interpretation of what I heard:

"2 November 2002.  To the Field Museum to a talk by Ben Wilson, Curator of the library, and to look at the double-elephant Audubon. Edward E. Ayer had a copy among his ornithological books, which went to the Field, but that copy was vandalized (i.e. broken up) by an unnamed (Wilson has identified)  person and is lost. In 1969 Ken Nebenzahl got a copy at Sotheby's for 70K and that is the copy which is now at the Field, the gift of Mary W. Runnells.  Wilson calls this "possibly the best copy extant". Originally it belonged to Benjamin Phillips, the Audubon family physician in England, and I think a manager of some of the production. This copy, Audubon's copy (now at the Stark library in Orange Texas) and the Edward Harris copy (now lost) were all specially colored, and to some extent have unique features. The Phillips copy at the Field has thirteen additional birds. Furthermore the Stark and Field copies are re-arranged by species, whereas most copies are arranged according to convenience of publication - that is as Audubon collected and drew specimens the information was printed and issued to subscribers without any other scheme. Wilson damned The Double-Elephant Folio: the story of Audubon's Birds of America by Waldemar H. Fries (1973 ALA publication with "scholarly" notes about each extant copy, including the Phillips copy).   "He was some sort of retired insurance salesman" and not a scholar.  Until recently the Phillips copy was kept in an upholstered ottoman from which the four volumes could be extracted by pulling out drawers. The books could be opened without actually having to lift them. This ottoman is still at the Field and I have seen it on a previous visit and it is illustrated by Fries. Benjamin Wilson (the curator) had set up a special display of bird books - among them two copies of Alexander Wilson's American Ornithology and ONE OF THE COPPERS. There are ten such copper plates at the Field. I did not find out how they got there. Some of Audubon's copper plates are at the New York Historical Society, including the Wild Turkey, and they are all cancelled. The Wilson plate I saw was fine with a small dent from the back - but otherwise in usable condition. Benjamin Wilson was also flogging a new reprint of some of the Audubon plates, Audubon's Fifty Best: the Oppenheimer File dMuseum Edition, produced by Oppenheimer Editions, LLC of Chicago.  Complete sets of the 50 cost 35K and individual plates range from $1,500 to 2,700.  They are digital and they are excellent.  Based on the Field copy, the library gets a bit of the sales for its acquisition fund.

"Also shown to us was Audubon's ms journal, Ornithological biography, beginning in 1826 and Benjamin Wilson especially pointed out the passages in which Audubon reveals details of his difficulties with the professional ornithological community in Philadelphia. The journal (already published by Oklahoma in 1967) was in the H. Bradley Martin sale in 1989 and was given to the Field by Charles Palmer, a Chicago businessman now living in Santa Fe.

3 November 2002 "David Allen Sibley spoke at noon. A couple of hundred bird people attended. He spoke from notes, and referred to them a few times - "oops, I got lost" or some such comment. But it was smoth, well delivered with good information and occasional humor. He spoke of the problem of looking just at field marks and ignoring the whole bird. Told a story about looking for Lincoln Sparrows among Song Sparrows on his first trip to Cape May in 1980. Because he had never seen one before he was looking for field marks as he envisioned them. His friend reported seeing them over several days, but David Sibley saw none. Finally the friend took him to a thicket of weeds and pointed out a Lincoln among the Song Sparrows. At first Sibley could only see the Song Sparrows, but at last, after the individual bird was surely identified by his friend he began to note the differences and himself "saw" it for the first time. He told another story about a call-in radio program devoted to birds in Britain. The callers would ask for help identifying birds seen on their feeders. A caller described what the expert determined was a European Goldfinch, based on the described field marks of the bird. But the caller kept insisting that this did not look like a goldfinch. The expert remained confident for several days over the air, and finally agreed on a sight visit. When he drove up and looked out the window - there was a Sarus Crane - apparently with the same coloration, NOT a goldfinch. (I do not know either of these birds). Sibley argues that looking at the whole bird, as an artist, is essential, and it must be basic to all bird identification for everyone. (Eventually you should know that flycatchers just look like flycatchers). Common birds, often seen and sketched, were the most difficult to paint for the book than the rarer birds because there were many sketches for common birds and DS's collected memory of them was overwhelming. Something of the beauty of the bird must be part of the drawing, balanced with the ornithological record of a field guide (so that identification is possible). The first edition of Petersen has black and white illustrations of the field markings only. Later editions and illustrations incorporate more information about the beauty and larger patterns of variation between birds, including color, or course.
Questions from the audience:
1. Could DS provide the height of shore birds (feet to head)? Answer: DS had not thought of this. He does provided length (bill to tail) and wing span. Remarked that it is difficult to measure birds because they do not stand still for long. He will think about this for the future.
2. About drawing. First DS gets the shape right, then adds details of color, feathers, filed marks, all fall into place easily. But, if the shape is wrong, the details will not fit together. In creating a finished drawing he uses regular water-color brushes nos. 4, 2 and 0, and opaque or gouache colors. In the field its a mechanical pencil on paper and these are just memory aids.
3. Portability of the published book. A: portability is not the first concern. The book was enlarged a few months before publication. Bird watching is such an information-hungry hobby that bird watchers of the world would not be satisfied with less information. DS is working on a division of the information into two publications: Eastern and Western editions, which will be smaller.
4. The new book. A: Called Birding Basics. It is an expansion of the original 50-page introduction to the Guide to Birds. That drafted introduction was first reduced to 24 pages and then to 18. The new book provides a full introduction that should come with any competent field guide to birds.
5. Competition with other writers? A: not at the authorial level. Publishers compete because they want to sell books. Ken Kaufman is a respected friend. Told of Kauman's one-year of birding = inspired him to leave college to look at and draw birds in 1980.
6. Most difficult bird's to capture for the book? A. There are 8 species of N. American birds DS has not seen - so, they are the most difficult. Then, the Pelagic birds are the most difficult, because they are off-shore. [Wish I had asked what the 8 are!]
7. Where are his original drawings and paintings. A: all still in his personal possession in a "secret place". A few are currently on exhibit in Wausau, Wisconsin, and he plans on future exhibits.

"He signed a copy of the new book for me and I actually took a picture."

Steve Chalmers
Malabar FL