Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: RAIN 1208 Weekly Update: Privacy (12)
From: Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 8 Dec 2002 16:38:35 EST

San Francisco Examiner 11/27/02
Our own private lockbox
STILL WORRIED about all those niggly privacy issues sunk deep into the
Patriot Act, the TIPS program, our new Department of Homeland Security and
more? Relax. With a few simple life changes, you can have as much of that
individualism as you want.

Toronto Star 11/29/02
Patients' privacy rights threatened, watchdog warns
Giant database idea `terrifying' Radwanski fears abuse of system

Belleville News-Democrat 12/01/02

Customer bank records not disposed properly

'Trash' in parking lot traced to loan recipient

CAHOKIA - Want to know someone's Social Security number?

A neighbor's old financial account number? The answers were blowing in the

Thousands of financial documents containing customers' Social Security
numbers and other vital personal information were strewn about a Cahokia
parking lot Saturday. They appeared to have spilled from a split garbage bag
next to a dumpster behind the Wells Fargo Financial branch office at 1647
Camp Jackson Road.

The Post-Crescent 12/02/02

Businesses suffer from identity theft, too 12/02/02

Rogue medical records

The New Yorker 12/02/02

Wired News 12/02/02

Total Info System Totally Touchy

by Ryan Singel

Can a massive database of information on Americans really preempt terrorist

That's what industry experts are asking about the Pentagon's proposed Total
Information Awareness System, which, according to the proposal (PDF), would
aggregate on "an unprecedented scale" credit card, medical, school and travel

Critics say looking for terrorists by rooting around in private, commercial
databases of Americans' personal information violates the Fourth Amendment --
not to mention citizens' privacy. Some in the industry even refuse to work on
the project on ethical grounds.,1294,56620,00.html

Washington Post 12/03/02

Identity Theft More Often an Inside Job

Old Precautions Less Likely to Avert Costly Crime, Experts Say

The Retriever 12/03/02

Social Security Numbers of Students Accidentally Released on the Net

Malcolm Furgol

Retriever Weekly Staff Writer

Information privacy is reaching an all time importance across the country due
to the proliferation of electronic means to store financial information. Just
recently in New York, several people were arrested for using a laptop to
obtain access to countless credit card numbers which they used to illegaly
procure goods. And now at UMBC over 2,500 student’s names and social security
numbers (SSN) were released on a website in early September of this year.

The Cato Institute 12/03/02
Total Information Awareness for the Ages
by Clyde Wayne Crews Jr.
Wayne Crews is director of technology studies at the Cato Institute
The Pentagon assures us we have nothing to fear from its new Total
Information Awareness (TIA) counter-terrorism project, a colossal effort to
assemble and "mine" massive databases of our credit card purchases, car
rentals, airline tickets,
official records and the like. The aim is to monitor the public's
whereabouts, movements and transactions to glean suspicious patterns that
indicate terrorist planning and other shenanigans. Well, we shouldn't always
trust the assurance of
the Pentagon.

Baltimore Sun 12/07/02
UMBC students' data put on Web in error
2,500 notified that names, Social Security numbers posted in records update;
was clearly a mistake',0,5796999.story?coll=bal-l

The Courier-Mail (AUS) 12/08/02
Police seize ATM theft device
FRAUD squad detectives yesterday seized a working keycard skimmer, which will
allow them for the first time to learn how the new electronic thieving
"This is the first entire skimmer we have found in Australia," said Fraud
Squad Inspector Michael Gerondis.,5936,5637561%255E421

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Richmond, Va

List archives at