PSYART December 2002, Week 3

Philosophy of PsyArt journal

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:54:18 -0500

text/plain

Hi, all,

In case  you're interested, here's a piece from Tuesday's New York Times that
very nicely states the philosophy with which I started the PsyArt journal.
While humanistic studies can hardly claim the cumulative effect or the urgency
of scientific articles, it is our aim, Murray's and mine, to get information out
freely, as widely as possible, and as quickly as possible.

I can claim no originality for this approach.  I learned it from an online
discussion group of librarians.

                        --Best, Norm
Norm Holland

LexisNexis™ Academic

 Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company    The New York Times

December 17, 2002, Tuesday, Late Edition - Final  Correction Appended

SECTION: Section F;Page 1;Column 1;Science Desk

LENGTH: 1560 words

HEADLINE: New Premise in Science: Get the Word Out Quickly, Online

BYLINE:   By AMY HARMON

BODY:  A group of prominent scientists is mounting an electronic challenge to
the leading scientific journals, accusing them of holding back the progress of
science by restricting online access to their articles so they can reap higher
profits.

Supported by a $9 million grant from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, the
scientists say that this week they will announce the creation of two
peer-reviewed online journals on biology and medicine, with the goal of
cornering the best scientific papers and immediately depositing them in the
public domain. By providing a highly visible alternative to what they view as an
outmoded system of distributing information, the founders hope science itself
will be transformed. The two journals are the first of what they envision as a
vast electronic library in which no one has to pay dues or seek permission to
read, copy or use the collective product of the world's academic research.

"The written record is the lifeblood of science," said Dr. Harold E. Varmus, a
Nobel laureate in medicine who is serving as the chairman of the new nonprofit
publisher. "Our ability to build on the old to discover the new is all based on
the way we disseminate our results."

By contrast, established journals like Science and Nature charge steep annual
subscription fees and bar access to their online editions to nonsubscribers,
although Science recently began providing free electronic access to articles a
year after publication.

The new publishing venture, Public Library of Science, is an outgrowth of
several years of friction between scientists and the journals over who should
control access to scientific literature in the electronic age. For most
scientists, who typically assign their copyright to the journals for no
compensation, the main goal is to distribute their work as widely as possible.

Academic publishers argue that if they made the articles more widely available
they would lose the subscription revenue they need to ensure the quality of the
editorial process. Far from holding back science, they say, the journals have
played a crucial role in its advancement as a trusted repository of significant
discovery.

"We have very high standards, and it is somewhat costly," said Dr. Donald
Kennedy, the editor of Science. "We're dealing in a market whether we like it or
not."

Science estimates that 800,000 people read the magazine electronically now,
compared with 140,000 readers of the print version. Given the number of
downloads at universities like Harvard and Stanford, which buy site licenses for
about $5,000 a year, the magazine says people are reading articles for only a
few cents each.

In many cases even such small per-article charges to access a digital database
can make for substantial income. The Dutch-British conglomerate Reed Elsevier
Group, the world's largest academic publisher, posted a 30 percent profit last
year on its science publishing activities. Science took in $34 million last year
on advertising alone.

But supporters of the Public Library of Science say the point is not how much
money the journals make, but their monopoly control over literature that should
belong to the public.

"We would be perfectly happy for them to have huge profit margins providing that
in exchange for all this money we're giving them we got to own the literature
and the literature did not belong to them," said Dr. Michael B. Eisen, a
biologist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and the University of
California, and a founder of the Public Library of Science.

When scientists relied on print-and-paper journals to distribute their work, the
Library's supporters argue, it made sense to charge for access, since each copy
represented an additional expense. But they say that at a time when the Internet
has reduced distribution costs to almost zero, a system that grants journals
exclusive rights over distribution is no longer necessary.

By publishing on the Internet and forgoing any profits, the new venture says it
is now possible to maintain a high-quality journal without charging subscription
fees.

Instead, the new journals hope institutions that finance research will come to
regard publishing as part of the cost. The journals will initially ask most
authors to pay about $1,500 per article, for exposure to a wider potential
audience and a much faster turnaround time.

The library's founders agree that its success will depend largely on whether
leading scholars are willing to forsake the certain status of publishing in the
established journals to support the principle of science as a public resource.
In a profession where publishing in a top journal is often crucial to success
and grant money, that may be a difficult task.

"I'd be happy to forswear publishing in any of those journals, but I'm not in a
position where I need a job," said Dr. Marc Kirschner, chairman of the cell
biology department at Harvard Medical School and a member of the electronic
library's editorial board. "The difficulty will be getting over this hump from
the point where people say, 'Why should I risk it?' to where they don't see it
as a risk."

In that regard, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute -- the nonprofit institute
whose $11 billion endowment makes it a leading supporter of medical research --
has emerged as a powerful ally. Dr. Thomas R. Cech, the institute's president,
has publicly endorsed the library's goals and promised to cover its
investigators' extra costs of publishing in the new journals.

As for other researchers, "people will want to be associated with this because
it is such a good deed," said another member of the library's editorial board,
Dr. Nicholas R. Cozzarelli, editor of The Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences.

Unfettered access to the literature, library supporters say, would eliminate
unnecessary duplication and allow doctors in poor countries, scientists at
budget-conscious institutions, high school students, cancer patients and anyone
else who could not afford subscriptions to benefit from existing research and
add to it.

Moreover, they say, the taxpayers, who spend nearly $40 billion a year on
biomedical research, should not have to pay again -- or wait some unspecified
period -- to be able to search for and see the results themselves.

But Derk Haank, chairman of Elsevier Science, whose 1,500 journals include Cell,
says such criticism is misguided. Elsevier, he says, is offering broader access
to its electronic databases to the institutions that want it for far less than
the cost of subscribing to dozens of paper journals. "It sounds very sympathetic
to say this should be available to the public," he said. "But this kind of
material is only used by experts."

Still, in addition to making data available to more people sooner, the
electronic library's founders argue that the research itself becomes more
valuable when it is not walled off by copyrights and Balkanized in separate
electronic databases. They envision the sprouting of a kind of cyber neural
network, where all of scientific knowledge can be searched, sorted and grafted
with a fluidity that will speed discovery.

Under the library's editorial policy, any data can be integrated into new work
as long as the original author is credited appropriately. The model is inspired
by GenBank, the central repository of DNA sequences whose open access policy has
driven much of the progress in genomics and biotechnology of the last decade.

The library's roots can be traced to Dr. Patrick O. Brown's frustration at the
barriers to literature he needed for research at his genetics laboratory at the
Stanford University School of Medicine in 1998. "The information I wanted was
information scientists had published with the goal of making it available to all
their colleagues," he said. "And I couldn't get it readily because of the way
the system was organized."

Dr. Varmus, then director of the National Institutes for Health, talked with Dr.
Brown in January 1999 and decided to pay for a Web site that would provide free
access to peer-reviewed scientific literature. PubMedCentral
(www.pubmedcentral.gov) was opened the next year.

By a year later, however, only a handful of journals had decided to participate
in the government archive. In an effort to whip up enthusiasm, Drs. Varmus,
Brown and Eisen began circulating an open letter to the journals, asking them to
place their articles in a free online database.

The petition quickly garnered 30,000 signers around the world, including several
Nobel laureates, who promised to publish their work only in journals that
complied with their demand. But almost none did.

That is when Dr. Varmus and his colleagues became convinced that they needed to
raise money to start their own publication. After being rejected by several
traditional science research foundations, the scientists found a sympathetic ear
at the Silicon Valley foundation whose benefactor, Dr. Gordon E. Moore, was the
co-founder of Intel Corporation.

"Scientists are a conservative bunch," said Dr. Edward Penhoet, the foundation's
senior director for science. "In the short term they'll still be publishing in
Cell and other places. But in the long term, I think this has the potential to
dramatically facilitate science."  http://www.nytimes.com

CORRECTION-DATE: December 18, 2002, Wednesday

CORRECTION:  A picture in Science Times yesterday with an article about free
online scientific journals that will compete with established ones was published
in error. It showed Dr. Patrick O. Brown of Stanford University, not Dr. Michael
B. Eisen of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. (Both are founders of the
online venture.)

The article also referred incompletely to Dr. Harold E. Varmus, the online
publisher's chairman. In addition to his other roles, he is president of the
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.

GRAPHIC: Photos: Dr. Harold E. Varmus is a leader in an effort to challenge
publishing practices of journals like Science and Nature. (James Estrin/The New
York Times)(pg. F1); Dr. Michael B. Eisen, who advocates free, online,
peer-reviewed journals. (Susan Spann for The New York Times)(pg. F4)

LOAD-DATE: December 17, 2002