PSYART December 2002, Week 3

Re: Fw: "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:54:52 -0500

text/plain

From:
       "Richard H. Armstrong" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri 2:21 AM

Sure, it deals in stereotypes, but having had such a wedding myself,
I can say it is also dead on in many ways.  My wife and I laughed
very hard at this film, painfully recognizing the differences between
WASP American and Mediterranean family values.  For example, my Wasp
friends complained at the paucity of speech making; our Spanish
relatives complained at the meager amounts of money the Wasps spent
on their gifts. (That thing about giving a house as a wedding gift is
true for a LOT of people in my wife's family.) My mother-in-law had
to be dragged to the rehearsal dinner because she had no idea what it
was and why it was important.  It wasn't until she saw the formality
of it that she finally got the point.  There was a moment of fast
negotiation at the reception as they deliberated whether they should
cut up my tie and sell the pieces of it; this is a Spanish tradition
that was aborted for fear that the Wasps would think we were begging
for money.

A few months later I went to a Wasp wedding with a crowd of our
Spanish friends, and they were horrified at the small amount of food
served.  They felt, in fact, INSULTED by the tiny beef medallions.
They speculated that the parents of the bride were not optimistic
about the marriage and were therefore saving up for the next wedding.
They also felt that all the speeches were just a cover for the fact
that these people can't dance.  Well, in a way that was true.

There is also a lot of truth to the small village culture
transplanted into the major city.  My father-in-law had such a moment
of doubt about our engagement because they didn't know "my people"
and whether I came of reliable stock or not. They too had sought a
suitor from among their own, and presented my future wife with a
series of hideous and depressing alternatives.  I was "checked out"
by the women of the clan in a way similar to that in the film, both
in New York and in Spain, and I can attest to the reality of that
situation of feeling like meat at the market.  To maneuver around
these problems one really has to know the language at least, which in
our case helped a lot.

By the way, I think the point of the film is that they save each
other from their respective family vortices.  He needs a bit more
rootedness, she needs a bit more freedom to breathe.  Trite it may
be, but it's also true in a lot of these situations.

The problem with stereotypes is not that they are false; it is that
they have a partial basis in truth and are therefore hard to root out
and dominate the imaginary all too easily. One sees them partly
confirmed, and then one assumes that they must be true.  In my line
of work I deal with a lot of Greek immigrants and children of Greek
immigrants, and I can say I saw nothing that didn't correspond to
things I have experienced directly (save perhaps for the Windex,
though I could see my late father in law trying such a thing).  But I
know a lot of Greek Americans who embrace the film because at least
they get a chance to air their own favorite stereotypes of
themselves.  The Greek Diner is a cliche, but it is also a great
American institution, along with the pizzeria, the taco stand, the
Jewish deli, and the cheap Cantonese take-out place.  I suppose the
point is whether the stereotypes are performed from the inside or the
outside.  This might be a higher form of Uncle Tomming, but I for one
enjoyed it very much, for all its stereotyping.  And by the way, at
least the Greeks can lay an historical claim to having invented comic
stereotyping in the Old and New Comedy of antiquity. Only this time
they get to have fun at playing the barbarian.

Best,Richard Armstrong