]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GRADSTUDENT-L Home

GRADSTUDENT-L  2003

GRADSTUDENT-L 2003

A Message from the Dean of the Graduate School

Graduate School <[log in to unmask]>

Graduate School <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:07:29 -0500

text/plain

A MESSAGE TO GRADUATE STUDENTS FROM WINFRED M. PHILLIPS, VICE PRESIDENT FOR
RESEARCH AND DEAN OF THE GRADUATE SCHOOL

Along with the President, I want to express my continued commitment to our
graduate students.  Research and graduate education are at the heart of any
great research university, like the University of Florida, and both need to
be preserved and enhanced.  I encourage you to take advantage of the many
opportunities and services the university has to offer as you progress
through your graduate program.

Your objective should be to achieve your degree goals as efficiently as
possible. The university helps you achieve this goal by making available to
you state-of-the art research, high-quality faculty and challenging
curricula.  We encourage you to learn all you can about your chosen
discipline, to take advantage of the research and teaching experiences the
university offers, to explore professional development opportunities, to
network with colleagues and faculty, and to consider job placement guidance
through the Career Resource Center.

I joint President Young, faculty, and staff in a strong commitment to
advancing the university into the top ranks of public research institutions
in the country. You are an important partner in this process by your support
of the research enterprise, assistance in promoting an undergraduate
teaching mission, and enlightening campus life and society.

We encourage you be become involved in the Graduate Student Research Forum.
The Graduate School supports the Graduate Student Council in presenting the
Forum each spring semester. This provides an opportunity for you to present
your research to a university audience. Information about the Forum and
deadline for submitting abstracts can be found at:
http://grove.ufl.edu/~gsc/gsf/2003/.  Abstracts can be submitted online.

Professional development and networking opportunities as well as the ability
to conduct research at off-campus locations are critical to the success of
some of you. Travel grants are available to you to attend scientific and
scholarly meetings, or to visit other institutions or sites for purposes of
advancing your scholarship. The Office of Research and Graduate Programs
assists doctoral candidates with a maximum of $300 matched by the
department. Your involvement in off-campus activities helps you and brings
distinction to the University of Florida. Visit our website for additional
information at: http://rgp.ufl.edu/rgp/travel.html.

We are pleased that you have the opportunity to submit your thesis or
dissertation to the library electronically.  The Electronic Thesis and
Dissertation Program allows your work to be immediately accessible on the
World Wide Web.  With support from the Provost's Office, the Center for
Instructional and Research Computing Activities has established a dedicated
electronic theses and dissertations (ETD) computer laboratory through which
more than 300 students have completed ETDs since Fall 1998.  ETDs can be
viewed at: http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/etd.html.

In 2001, the Graduate School unveiled a new annual newsletter called EXCEL.
It is published in the spring to feature graduate students and their
research, plus activities of our alumni. Its purpose is twofold: to inform
current graduate students and recruit new highly qualified graduate students
to the University of Florida. Printed copies are available in the Graduate
School and EXCEL can be viewed electronically at:
http://gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu/pdf/excel/Excel2002Spring.pdf.

The Career Resource Center in the Rietz Union is a valuable resource. They
have counselors devoted exclusively to graduate students and can assist you
in many ways. Visit them or their web site at: http://www.crc.ufl.edu/.

Consult with your department faculty or the Graduate School website or
handbook for information about other services available to you.  Your
achievements in scholarship, research and service enhance the reputation of
the university and the communities you will serve after graduation.   The
Graduate School website is:  http://gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu.

Best wishes for every success on your endeavors.

Winfred M. Phillips
Dean of the Graduate School