Drop/Add procedures and new FAQ website

Graduate School <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Jan 2003 08:11:27 -0500

text/plain

TO:             Graduate Students
FROM:   The Graduate School

As part of our objective to provide official and correct information on
policies and procedures, here is a preview of our new web page for current
students. This and other Frequently Asked Questions can be found at
http://gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu/education/faq.html on our "Current Student"
page on the Graduate School site at http://gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu.  Please
bookmark our website and check it regularly because we will be adding new
topics and updating procedures regularly.

DROP/ADD PROCEDURES
1. When may I drop a class and avoid any financial consequences?

The timeframe set aside by the university to adjust your registration
without financial consequences is during the drop/add period at the start of
each term. Check the catalog or handbook for deadlines. It is important that
you check your registration during this time just to confirm that your
registration is what you intended. You'd be surprised how often a simple
error like putting in the wrong section number goes unchecked.

2. What is the deadline if I need to drop or add a course after the drop/add
period?

Drop/add - partial registration. The Graduate School Student Records Office
accepts drop/add forms for the current term until the last day of the term
(day before commencement) with appropriate department (and dean, if
required) signatures. However, departments/colleges have the authority to
hold to the undergraduate deadlines if that is their preference. Students on
appointment must always maintain appropriate registration unless otherwise
approved by the Graduate School. International students should check with
the UF International Center.

3. What if I need to withdraw from all courses?

Prior to the university (undergraduate) deadline for course drops, students
withdrawing from all courses should submit the withdrawal form to Student
Affairs in Peabody Hall. After the deadline but before the last day of the
term, submit a regular drop/add form with appropriate signatures to the
Graduate School Student Records Office in 106 Grinter Hall. Students on
appointment should check with their department about financial consequences.
International students should contact the UF International Center.

4. What if the withdrawal is for medical reasons?

Contact the Dean of Students office in Peabody Hall for instructions and the
appropriate forms.

5. What if I believe the circumstances for the drop warrant a refund?

(1) Drop the course(s) using the appropriate procedures.
(2) Submit a completed Senate Petition for Fee Refund to the K.D. Bender in
the Registrar's Office for the fee refund portion only. The Graduate School
is not involved with this petition.
NOTE: Fee refunds are the only appropriate use of the Senate Petition for
graduate students. Dropping the course(s) is a separate transaction.

6. What if the term is over and I want to drop or add a class?

Because the Graduate School is more flexible regarding drop/add deadlines
during the current term, retroactive drop/add petitions are not routinely
considered. Altering the transcript is a serious matter. Retroactive course
adjustments are approved to rectify administrative errors or make a
correction to enrollment due to special circumstances. Petitions will not be
considered solely for the purpose of improving the GPA.

7. The department supports a retroactive change and it's not for the purpose
of improving my GPA, so what are the procedures?

(1) Petition is submitted from the department on their letterhead explaining
the mitigating circumstances. The department chair and graduate dean must
sign it. If you have a fellowship or assistantship, then the petition must
address continuation of appointment and tuition waiver.
(2) Drop/add form appropriately completed and signed by the course
professor.
(3) If an add, then the drop/add form must be accompanied by a Change of
Grade form for the new class.
(4) Submit the packet to Linda Vivian, Assistant Director, 164 Grinter Hall,
PO Box 115500.

NOTE: This and other messages from the Graduate School are maintained online
at:
http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/gradstudent-l.html

Graduate School
University of Florida
Grinter Hall  P.O. Box 115500
Gainesville, Florida 32611-5500
Phone: (352) 392-6622  Fax: (352) 392-8729
Web: gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu