Message from President Young

Graduate School <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:43:29 -0500

text/plain

A MESSAGE TO OUR GRADUATE STUDENTS FROM PRESIDENT CHARLES E. YOUNG

The University of Florida, as well as the other state universities, is
entering a new and challenging era.  Over the last year or so, you may have
read newspaper articles and heard debate about how the state's universities
will adapt to a new governance system.  By now you are probably aware that
the university administration, faculty, staff and students worked together
to develop a Strategic Plan for UF that will guide our growth and progress
in the future.

These two separate yet related activities represent challenges and
opportunities for the university.  I would like to explain what we are
trying to accomplish on your behalf and to reinforce my commitment to you,
as graduate students.

Beginning last year, the university became a separate corporate enterprise
with many new responsibilities.  We now operate under a different set of
rules and regulations and are governed by a Board of Trustees.  Following
the elections this past November, the state universities will be
responsibility to a statewide Board of Governors, but it is unclear at this
time how that Board will impact our programs.

The UF Strategic Plan has many elements and is intended to provide a roadmap
for how the university can improve its place among its peer institutions in
the Association of American Universities, an organization comprised of elite
research institutions.  Graduate education is a key element in the Strategic
Plan and critical to our progress as a university.

You play a vital role in the research and teaching missions of the
university.  The university's reputation and success depend heavily on the
scope and quality of its graduate enterprise. You represent the next
generation of scholars and entrepreneurs who stand to create knowledge and
promote economic growth in the state, the nation and world.  We help you
with the transition from students to colleagues.  In return, you stimulate
and assist faculty in their research and teaching.  Your impressions of UF
and the experiences you gained here will play a large role in determining
the university's reputation as you move into the upper echelons of academe,
industry and government.

The Strategic Plan calls for continued expansion and strengthening of
graduate programs through vigorous recruitment, increased stipends, improved
benefits such as health insurance, and expanded fellowship programs. Deans,
department chairs, and faculty are charged to pay serious attention to your
mentoring and career placement.  They are asked to include you in the
academic life of the department, to provide you with stimulating research
opportunities, to help you develop and refine your teaching skills, and to
assist you in understanding and navigating the professional academic
culture.  I will continue to support initiatives that have the potential to
enhance your academic endeavor and quality of life.

I have asked Winfred Phillips, Dean of the Graduate School and Vice
President for Research, to send you more detailed information about the
elements of the Strategic Plan and how they impact your experiences at the
university.  In return, I ask that you let him know of problems that impede
your academic progress.