Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List 9-25-03
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:35:45 -0400

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to
all students who entered UF as an honors student.  Opportunities listed
range from those for freshmen to seniors. To have your event listed, e-mail
several days before the event. Please put the date and name of the event in
the subject line (may be abbreviated).

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Thursday, September 25, 2003

Topics:
1. Bangladeshi Student Association (TODAY)
2. Friends for Life of America Awareness Forum (TODAY)
3. Utrecht Summer Program Info Session (TODAY)
4. Undergraduate Medical Humanities (TODAY)
5. NOVICE ON WEIGHTS! (NOW!)
6. Vox Meet and Greet (TODAY)
7. This Week's SHO Events (TODAY)
8. German Department Open House (TODAY)
9. TANGO Night (TODAY)
10. Ntozake Shange Reads from her New Novel
11. USA TODAY FIRST ACADEMIC TEAM
12. Dropping a Course

Details:

1. BANGLADESHI STUDENT ASSOCIATION at University of Florida is having its
First General Meeting of the semester this Thursday, September 25th in Reitz
Union Room 276. Come and join us if you want to learn about different
cultures and participate in different events we organize each year. For more
information, visit <http://grove.ufl.edu/~bsa>.

2. FRIENDS FOR LIFE OF AMERICA AWARENESS FORUM: "Friends for Life of
America" is hosting the first annual Childhood
Cancer Awareness Week this week.  Please join us on Thursday,
Sept. 25, for our special Awareness Forum.  The forum will be held
at 7 p.m. in the Health Professions/Nursing/Pharmacy Building
Auditorium (Rm1404).  The forum will feature Dr. John Graham-Pole,
a pediatric oncologist at Shands, as well as childhood cancer
survivors.  We hope to see you there!  Also, please join us for
our next meeting on Oct. 2 in Weil 270 at 7 p.m.!  Friends for
Life of America is a national student-run organization that
provides educational, emotional and financial support to pediatric
patients living with cancer.  For more information, please go to
our website at www.friendsforlife.com/uf."

3. UTRECHT SUMMER PROGRAM INFO SESSION: There will be an Utrecht
informational meeting on Thursday, September 25th
at 6:30PM in Dauer 233 for all students interested in studying summer B in
Utrecht, the Netherlands. The summer program is six weeks long, counts for
Gordon Rule and fulfills summer residency.
Questions can be directed to Dr. Sharon M. DiFino, summer program advisor,
at [log in to unmask] or come by to the office M-W-F in Dauer 365 from 3-4PM.

4. UNDERGRADUATE MEDICAL HUMANITIES: The Undergraduate Medical Humanities
Club is holding our first meeting of the semester. The Undergraduate
Humanities and Narrative Medicine Club is an exciting new organization for
students who are interested in the humane aspects of medicine, medical
training, and fostering the physician-patient relationship. Come meet with
current UF medical students as they discuss these important issues, their
life in med school, and much more! Enter our logo design contest for great
prizes! Find out about volunteer and leadership opportunities. The meeting
is on Thursday, September 25th from 6:30-8:30 in Reitz Union Room 285. Check
out our website at <http://grove.ufl.edu/~umh>.

5. NOVICE ON WEIGHTS: What Do You Get Out Of This FREE Program? Informative
sessions detailing the do's and don'ts of exercise; A chance to have the gym
all to yourself and learn how to use the machines and free weights;
Opportunities to have all of your exercise questions answered by fitness
professionals ;A basis to start your very own exercise program. N-O-W
Sessions are held at the SW Recreation Center:
Sun., Sept. 28th 8:30-10:00 AM
Sun., Oct. 5th 12:00-1:30 PM
Wed., Oct. 8th 9:30-10:30 PM
For more info or to reserve your spot:
Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (352) 846-1081, Ext. 225

6. VOX MEET AND GREET:  Vox: Voices for Planned Parenthood will be hosting
an
informal Meet and Greet on Thursday, September 25th from 7-9pm in Reitz
Union Matthews and Bryan Lounges (rooms 122 & 123).  Vox is a student group
dedicated to promoting reproductive rights and comprehensive sex education
on campus and in the Gainesville community.  Come to learn more about Vox's
mission and to find out what is planned for this year. Food and fun
provided!  For more info email:  [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or visit www.ufvox.org <http://www.ufvox.org>.

7. THIS WEEK'S SHO EVENTS: THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 25 MUST-SEE-TV COFFEE HOUSE
8-10pm. Come join other honors students for the most popular shows on
television shown on the big screen of the Hum Classroom. Coffee and hot
drinks along with snacks.
SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 28 SUNDAES ON SUNDAY 8pm. Come on down to the Hume Commons
for ice cream and your favorite toppings with your closest friends in
honors! Come down early so the ice cream doesn't run out!

8. GERMAN DEPARTMENT OPEN HOUSE will be taking place on Thursday, September
25 from 4-7 pm in the McQuown room (Dauer 219) and the immediately adjoining
room, within the broader framework of Weeks of Welcome. We're planning to
have pizza delivered and other finger foods and soft drinks on hand, but we
will encourage our students to bring any dish they would like to share and
we encourage you to do the same. After initial brief introductions by the
faculty members, we hope to have a program of music and dance -- pending the
willingness of our students to volunteer their talents. We plan to devote
some space -- possibly the above-mentioned adjoining room -- to displays
about our programs and study abroad possibilities. Come and meet the German
Department and find out about the programs they have to offer.

9. TANGO NIGHT: Hispanic Heritage Month, Argentine Students Association and
Peruvian-American Students United present:
TANGO NIGHT: Thursday, September 25, 2003
7:30 pm at Broward Basement. FREE FREE FREE
Everyone is welcome! We'll start off with a presentation of 4 tango dances.
This will be followed
by a tango lesson and dancing. Please direct any questions to

10. NTOZAKE SHANGE READS FROM HER NEW NOVEL: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 1:00
PM. Ntozake Shange returns to Wild Iris Books
to read from her soon to be published novel, How I Come by This Cryin' Song.
Renowned poet, playwright and author, Ntozake Shange's works include for
colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf,
which won the Obie Award for Best Drama, as well as Float Like a Butterfly,
Daddy Says, and numerous other plays, novels, and poetry
collections.  Ntozake Shange's new choreopoem is Lavender Lizards & Lilac
Landmines.  She holds an appointment in the African American Studies
Program and The Center for Women's Studies and Gender Research at the
University of Florida. Wild Iris Books A Store with Book Sense, 802 W.
University Ave.
Gainesville. Tel 352/375-7477; [log in to unmask]

11. USA-TODAY ACADEMIC FIRST TEAM: Check out this national competition at
http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2003-07-29-2004-college-allstars_x.ht
m  You need to be at least a full-time sophomore to compete. Last year UF
had 2 Third Team winners: Michael Gale and Stephen Cohen. Wonderful for your
resume to be among the 60 outstanding undergrads chosen for this honor.
(First team has some money attached to it too!).  "The criteria are designed
to find students who excel not only in scholarship but also in leadership
roles on and off campus. The element given the most weight by the judges is
the nominee's outstanding original academic or intellectual product. The
judges will be influenced by the student's ability to describe that
outstanding endeavor in his/her own words. They will not read an author's
work, see an artist's painting or hear a composer's music. They will rely
solely on the student's ability to describe the effort in writing,
supplemented by recommendations from the nominating professor and two other
persons of the nominee's choice."

12. DROPPING A CLASS The deadline for dropping a course this semester is
Monday November 24. This is also the last date to withdraw from the whole
semester. You drop a
course with an orange bubble sheet from the Registrar's Office (Criser) or
our office. Your college advising office needs to sign it and then you take
it to the Registrar's Office in Criser.
Each college has somewhat different rules about dropping courses. Usually
you can drop two courses in your freshman/sophomore years and two in your
junior and senior years (you need to check your college policy in the
catalogue). Dropping a course gives you a W on your record (and it does not
affect your gpa). I don't think one W is the worst thing in the world but
you don't want a transcript littered with Ws. If you are unsure about your
need to drop a course, you have lots of time to make up your mind--November
24 a long way off. I don't think it is a good idea to drop a course for a
frivolous reason.

Some frivolous reasons for dropping a course include: changing majors and
you don't need the course (unless you are doing very badly in it);
predicting a B in the class when you really want an A; dropping a class too
soon when there is a long way to go before November 24.

Scholarships require you earn a certain number of hours so be sure that
dropping a course does affect your eligibility (Bright Futures requires you
earn 6
hours a semester; for Merit scholarships you need to earn 24 hours total for
fall
and spring--please note for these scholarships you have to be registered for
12 hours at the end of drop/add.)
An obvious point is that if you drop a tracking course, there are some
important ramifications. Dropping a tracking course will put you off track
for your major. That means you will likely be at UF this summer catching up.
Once off track you can probably recover--twice off track means that you will
need to find another major. Dropping a tracking class may also mean it's
time to consider whether you are perhaps in the wrong major.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can search the Archives (previous issues) of the Honors Daily
Opportunities List at <http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html>