LINUX-L 2003

Friendly debian installer?

Dan Stoner <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:54:04 -0400

text/plain

Hi,

Recent posts regarding desktop RH9 and Debian got me thinking about the
question of "user friendly" installer for Debian.  This seems to be a
highly polarized question, so sorry if I hit someone's hot button.

Is there a distro based on Debian that has a simplified installer
(choose your system: Server, Desktop, Workstation...) that makes it
easier for a poor end user to get Debian installed?  I love the way
Knoppix auto-detects everything and "just works" after booting from the
CD, slick desktop and all.  Is there a project out there that falls
somewhere in between?

Seems to me that people who are wanting to transition away from
Microsoft are going choose other distros because Debian seems "too hard"
to install.

Thanks,

  Dan Stoner