LINUX-L 2003

Re: DSL questions

Shawn McMahon <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:03:26 -0400

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 01:57:26PM -0400, Jason Boxman said:

> 2)  Watch out.  If you don't use the WiFi, turn it _off_.  If you can't
> turn it off, enable WEP.  If you _do_ use it, enable WEP.  It's trivial to
> crack but it'll keep bored people from sniffing your traffic.  Determined
> people can still own you if they're interested.

They can own you automatically in a short period of time.  And, before
you think "so what, it's my home machine, I don't care", remember that
they don't care about your data; they will use your connection to hack
into places that are likely to call the police, who will then see from
your ISP that *YOU* owned that IP address.  Have fun trying to prove it
wasn't you.

I don't recommend anybody use WiFi at all unless their access point
connects directly to a dedicated NIC on a firewall, and all traffic
through that NIC is blocked except ssh or some kind of vpn.  Then you
ssh tunnel or vpn from every client you wish to use wirelessly.  Almost
unbreakable.  Almost.  :-)

Throw in a good software firewall on the clients, and you're in pretty
good shape.

--
Shawn McMahon     | Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill,
EIV Consulting    | that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any