Good morning! The following is a conference on converged media to be held
here at UF next month.
Web Administrator, University of Florida
Bldg. 34, Fletcher Drive
[log in to unmask]
Please mark your calendars and plan to attend this free event if you are
interested in journalism, online media, or media convergence issues.
The second annual UF Symposium on Converged Journalism is free to all
comers. There is plenty of space in the Reitz Union Auditorium/Cinema, and
panels will take place all day Friday, Feb. 7, from 8:30 until 5 p.m., on
roughly the same schedule as our class periods.
Students (and others) are encouraged to ask questions during each panel.
A specific schedule of panels will be available soon at
<http://www.jou.ufl.edu/converge/. PLEASE FORWARD this invitation
liberally -- the public is very welcome to attend, and there are no
registration forms or fees.
Confirmed guests so far are:
* Sal Paolantonio, national correspondent for ESPN
* Adam Clayton Powell, III, visiting professor of journalism at the
University of Southern California's Annenberg School of Communication,
focusing on research and inaugurating courses and laboratory explorations of
the future of local news.
* John Marvel, vice president of ESPN.com
* Deborah Potter, executive director, NewsLab <http://www.newslab.org/
(Deborah will ALSO give a special presentation on interactive broadcast
news on Thursday, Feb. 6, at 6 p.m. in 3032 Weimer.)
* Steve Yelvington, vice president, Strategy and Content, Morris Digital
Works (Parent Morris Communications Corp. owns 39 newspapers in 14
* Jan Schaeffer, executive director, J-Lab (Institute for Interactive
Journalism, University of Maryland); formerly director of the Pew Center
for Civic Journalism
* Angela Morganstern, new media producer, PBS FrontLine/World
<http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/ and KQED TV, San Francisco
* Stephanie Crockett, news producer, BET.com <http://www.bet.com/news/
* Chet Rhodes, senior video editor, WashingtonPost.com
* Adrian Holovaty <http://www.holovaty.com/, lead Web site developer,
Lawrence (Kan.) Journal-World; formerly assistant database editor,
Atlanta Journal-Constitution online
* Joshua Jennings Moss, PM assignment editor/news manager, ABCnews.com
* Anthony Moor, new media editor, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle;
formerly a reporter at KRON TV, San Francisco
* Andrea Panciera, editor, Projo.com, the Web site of The Providence
* Tom Sorensen, sports reporter for the Charlotte Observer
* Bob Ryan, sports reporter for the Boston Globe
* Keith Wheeler, associate managing editor, Multimedia, Orlando Sentinel