]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GARC-L Home

GARC-L  February 2003

GARC-L February 2003

GARC Meeting Wed. March 5 at 7:00 pm in Club Station D11-27 DSB

Matthew Henry <[log in to unmask]>

Matthew Henry <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:42:13 -0500

text/plain

Amateur Radio Enthusiasts,

Our regularly scheduled Gator Amateur Radio Club meeting will be held on
the first Wednesday of the month.  I hope to see everyone that has in
any interest in amateur radio or our organizations activities on
Wednesday, March 5, 2003 at 7:00 p.m. at the club station (room D11-27)
in the Dental Science Building.  As we have a lot of business to take
care, I expect the meeting to run for just under 2 hours this time (I
will aim for 1.5 hours), but feel free to attend any portion for which
you can be present.  Once again, a pictorial tour on how to find the
club station can be found at http://www.w4dfu.ufl.edu/pic/tour/tour.htm
and we'll monitor the 146.910 MHz repeater. (The club phone# is
846-0239).  The meeting may get moved to the conference room a few doors
down if the room is open and meeting attendance is good.

Please direct any questions or suggestions for budget items to

MARCH MEETING AGENDA:

Upcoming Events:
- WalkAmerica 2003(March of Dimes Walk)
        Sat. Mar. 22nd  7:00 am - 2:00 pm Westside Park.
- CLUB Meeting
        Wed. April 2 7:00 pm  Club Station D11-27 DSB.
- Skywarn Basic Class
        Fri April 4 7:00 - 9:00 pm  Alachua County EOC.
- Gainesville Hamfest 2003
        Sat. April 26  8:00 am - 2:00 pm Alachua County Fairgrounds.
- ARRL Field Day 2003
        Sat-Sun June 28-29 9am Sat - 2pm Sun TBA - GARS Field Day.

President's Report:
- SG Financial Responsibility training completed via computer program in
SG computer lab at the Reitz Union so that GARC can continuing making
purchases with funds that were frozen in GARC's remaining budget.

Treasurer's Report:
- Money remaining in this year's budget and budgeted items soon to be
purchased.
- Announcement that the second half of our budget had been released
because the GARC President and Treasurer fulfilled their Student
Government obligations to participate in the financial responsibility
training.
- Postage for mailing the QSL card from the Cedar Key Lighthouse event.
- Draft a 2003-2004 Budget.  What items and events do we want?
- Budget Hearings.

Secretary's Report:
- Mailing of QSL cards.

Project Reports & Updates:
- Engineering Fair.
- EMWIN.
- NASA C-band satellite dish.
- Peet Brothers Ultimeter 2000 ("Weather Station").
- Membership recruitment efforts.  Ongoing search for an advisor.
- NASA Shuttle/International Space Station link (possible demo and
summary of installation).

FEBRUARY MEETING MINUTES:

Meeting moved from station to conference room.
No one checked in for comment via the repeater.

New Business:
Upcoming Events:
- Engineering Fair (Feb 18-19)
        Contact for possibly unmanned booth or GARS may help.
- March of Dimes Walk (Mar 22)
        - Contact Jim Carr by email to sign up.  Meeting Feb 7 @
11:30am.
- Orlando Hamfests.
        QST's will be given away there and rest will be recycled. Anyone
that wants them, contact Joe Dipietro, N2UF 367-1700 (daytime).
- ENWIN System.
        - Frequency of 162.300 MHz.  Todd Sherman, Jim Carr, and Jeff
Capehart gave info.  Todd gave a handout.  Dish does not require hole in
roof.  Discussion on where to put dish, antenna, tx/rx, computer. Q on
obligation to maintain if damaged or if optional ($$$).  Really can't do
anything to us.at worst take it back.  Joe and another guy are radio
techs if need to work on it.  Vote approved accepting the equipment,
which would be delivered after the Orlando Hamfest.
- AA4FL Jay Gartlitz, former GARC Pres visited.  Now a dentist.  He was
responsible for getting our station location at the DSB.
- Another campus HAM Demo.
        Tabled for later discussion.
- New 2003-2004 Budget - Suggest items for the coming year.
        Mentioned but tabled until next meeting because short on time
due to long ENWIN discussion.
- Meeting Time & Location
        Sought input on first Wednesday at 7 p.m. & resuming use a
conference room in the J. Wayne Reitz Union.  Wed at 7 said to be an ok
time for meeting, people just want a consistent date to expect meetings.
Group was content to continue meeting as DSB for now.
- Equipment Maintenance / Antenna Party.
        Beaty rooftop antenna party.  Fire antenna.  10M antenna is ours
but rusty tripod mount that isn't ours.  M-F 8-5 supervised access is
required.  Todd will help but need a GARC student club member to help
too, especially for access to the roof (our schedules don't fit).

        Update on status and purchase in the works.  Pres and Treas need
to go to SG CD thing.  March 22 12:20PM budget hearing.need to
reschedule time because March of Dimes.
- Need to fix rotor, order TV TX, postage.
- GARC postal mail key.
        Top drawer of desk.  Key is now on a large ring in the club
station.  Matthew Henry took a second key and checked three months worth
of mail.
- GARC's SG email account.
        Need to contact SG about access to it and possible forwarding.
- GARC-L mailings and officer responsibilities.
        Very little discussion; remains status quo.
- QSL card mailings.
        Postage problems.  $1824 for it this semester.
- Independent officer meetings.
        Not jumped on due to time constraints; other officers prefer
phone and email communication.
- Weather Station.
        Missing power supply.
- Reminder to keep eyes and ears open for a Faculty Advisor / Club
Trustee.

Program:
- W4DFU Space Shuttle Link - by Jeff Capehart, Todd Sherman, and Joseph
DiPietro.
        Out of time, so was tabled until another meeting.  Especially,
considering shuttle won't be up for a long time.
- ENWIN System.
        Extensively discussed.