Skip repetitive navigational links

Journal of Student Centered Learning issue #1 plus call for papers

Ted Panitz <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:59:34 -0500

text/plain

Hi listers,

     I am very pleased to announce the publication of the first issue of
the Journal of Student Centered Learning JSCL. As the editor I would
like to encourage readers to submit manuscripts for publication. The
author guidelines indicate that we are primarily a higher education
oriented journal, however, we are hoping to expand our focus by
including articles from primary and secondary educators and to include
practical how to articles as well as research articles. I believe we
have a great deal to share regarding successful student centered
learning programs and that SCL techniques can be adapted to any level.

     The authors guidelines are available at:
http://www.newforums.com/news_jccauthor.htm      The guidelines call for
written manuscripts but I would be happy to receive articles via email
if that is more convenient. I will make an initial evaluation and if
appropriate for our journal I will forward to article to the publisher
to start the peer review process.

   Below are the index pages for the first issue, which is currently in
print, and for issue 2 which will be going to the printer soon for a
Spring/Summer edition. We are currently working on issue 3 for the Fall
2003. These will provide you with an idea of the types of articles we
are interested in.

Subscription information is available at:
http://www.newforums.com/store/list.asp?numperpage=10&images=&display=&category=21

   We have several departments that I would also like to encourage your
participation in. These are editorial in nature so they will not go
through the review process. If you are receiving the journal you can see
some examples of my first attempts to develop these departments. Again
you may email me your materials.

Teaching tips-  If you have a special teaching technique you would like
to share with our readers please email it to me and we will give you
full attribution.

Editorials- If you have a special topic you would like to expound upon
please send it along. We would like to consider editorial articles of
about 300 words.

Book reviews- Currently George Jacobs is helping us with this area as
you will see in issue 2. Please consider sending us a review of a book
or articles dealing with SCL that you feel would benefit our readers.

Letters to the editor- If you differ or support my editorials I would
love to hear from you. Keep the flame throwers on low flame please

    If you have any questions about the journal and/or publishing
procedures please feel free to email me.

Regards,
Ted
http://home.capecod.net/~tpanitz

Journal of Student Centered Learning
Volume I, Number I, Fall 2002

From the Editor   p4

Problem-Based Learning -A Bean Counter Takes the Plunge   p7
by Philip G. Cottell, Jr.
The conversion to Problem-Based Learning requires substantial effort and
commitment. Yet, the
benefits in terms of student learning can be substantial. This paper
recounts the implementation of Problem:-Based learning in a Cooperative
Learning environment by one college teacher in a technical and
professional related discipline.

It Takes Two to Tango: How 'Good' Students Enable Problematic Behavior
in Teams   p19
by Barbara Oakley
Counter to intuition, the well meaning, altruistic behavior of some
students in problematic team situations can cause the situation to
deteriorate even further. This article describes a self-awareness
program developed to educate students about challenging situations that
may be encountered when working in teams, and to provide concrete
methods for changing a typical studentís response to deal more
effectively with these situations.

Training Instructors to Facilitate Collaborative Inquiry    p29
by Nancy Konigsberg Kemer, Beverly Black, Eric Monson, and Leah
Meeuwenberg
The primary instructors of many large introductory science courses are
graduate student
instructors with limited or no prior teaching experience. For our
laboratory-centered introductory chemistry course, after much trial and
error, we developed successful training materials using email, written
cases, and real classroom scenarios captured by videotape.

Ability and Effort Attributions as Motivational Factors in Collaborative
Projects  p37
by Sarah E. Peterson
Following completion of a dyadic project, undergraduates rated their own
and their partner & ability and effort as contributions to the group
outcome. Students feel more pride when they perceived their ability as
higher than their partner, and had higher expectations for future
success when they perceived their partner as more able and hard working.

Student-Centered learning Tips 45

Volume I, Number 2, 2003
Editor's Note p49
Editorial p50

Seeking Diversity in a Homogeneous Setting: Collaborative Possibilities
for Teacher Education p57
by Joyce Herbeck
Teacher education institutions must assure the multicultural sensitivity
of their graduates. Although extended experience in culturally diverse
classrooms is the ideal learning environment, institutions located in
areas with little or no cultural diversity can provide collaborations
with middle school students of color through the use of e-mail pen pals,
photos. and videos. Interactions with culturally diverse students break
down stereotypes and expand the worldview of future teachers. Urban
middle school students gain knowledge of a rural environment and become
acquainted with the realities of college life.

An Exploratory Study of the Effects of Peer Assessment Activities on
Student Motivational Variables that Impact Learning p65
by Art w. Bangert
Two classes of graduate-Ievel statistics students were randomly assigned
to either a Peer Assessment or Traditional Assessment condition. The
Peer Assessment class scored classmates' statistics problems while
statistics problems for the Traditional Assessment class were
instructor-scored. Peer assessors were found to display greater
increases in statistical self efficacy as well as larger reductions in
math and test anxiety as compared to students in the Traditional
Assessment group.

Knowledge Construction Awareness p73
by Cesar A. Collazos , Luis A. Guerrero, & Jose A. Pino
Recent research in CSCL (Computer Supported Collaborative Learning) and
CSCW (Computer Supported Cooperative Work) has provided insights into
how various forms of awareness information should be computer supported
to enable collaboration in distributed environments. Researchers are
investigating how technology through awareness can support effectively
the interactions among people. This paper presents a new kind of
awareness, Knowledge Construction Awareness (KCA) and the design of a
software tool that allows us to capture
information about the group work and evaluate how this kind of awareness
affects the collaborative work process in computer-mediated
interactions. We present an exploratory study of 10 groups that used our
software tool.

Postmodernism: This Changes Everything! p83
by Gregory w. Fowler
Postmodern students are fundamentally different from the students who
preceded them and must be taught differently. Much of the current
tension in classrooms is a result of this difference. To be successful
teachers must adapt to this new environment. Lessons can be taken from
the strategies the business world is using to integrate postmoderns into
the workplace. These lessons can be applied to the classroom.

The Problems and Prospects of Using Selected Cooperative Learning
Structures in Educating Teachers of English as a Foreign Language p93
by Ghazi M Ghaith
This article describes the aim, preparation, and procedures of five
cooperative learning activities for educating teachers of English as a
foreign language. The activities integrate content and methodology,
motivate student- teachers, and maximize communication, reinforcement,
and cognitive work. The prospects and problems of implementation are
documented and solutions are suggested.

Teaching Tips p101
Abstracts and Reviews p107 by George Jacobs

To unsubscribe,
send a message to [log in to unmask]
In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L.

To access LRNASST-L archives,