]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  February 2003, Week 4

PSYART February 2003, Week 4

Fan Fiction -- The web runneth over therewith

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:14:14 -0500

text/plain

From:
       Linda Pilgrim <[log in to unmask]>

12:4
>From Slate.com
Dead Man Writing
How to keep writing your late father's books.
By Chris Suellentrop
Posted Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 4:54 PM PT

The Web runneth over with the phenomenon known as fan fiction. "Fanfic"
writers compose new tales for their favorite fictional characters by
inventing back stories for them, fleshing out their personalities, and
shipping them off to grand new adventures. Like many Web ventures, fanfic is
done for love, not money. But there's a parallel real-world publishing
phenomenon that's much more profitable‹family fiction.

"Famfic" applies the dynastic principle to literature: It's children
continuing their dead parents' literary franchises. Now that copyrights
extend 70 years beyond the death of the author, literary characters can be
inherited, allowing authors to pass their creations on to their children
just as a merchant would bequeath the family store. And the children,
showing sound business sense, expand the store by adding new franchises and
releasing new products. Christopher Tolkien finished his father's last book,
The Silmarillion, then published 12 more books under his father's byline.
Brian Herbert, son of Dune author Frank Herbert, wrote a trilogy of Dune
prequels with science-fiction writer Kevin J. Anderson, and they are now
working on another trilogy. The concept extends beyond fiction to the social
sciences and the humanities: Eric McLuhan, son of media theorist Marshall
McLuhan, co-wrote a book with his father that was published nine years after
Marshall's death.

But far and away the most successful practitioner of the genre has been Jeff
Shaara, son of the author Michael Shaara. This weekend's release of the film
version of Gods and Generals, the prequel Shaara wrote to his father's
Pulitzer-Prize-winning The Killer Angels, marks a new stage in the
mainstreaming of famfic. Previously, the books of the father were visited
upon the son, but now the movies have been, too. The ponderous, four-hour
Gods and Generals is billed as a prequel to the ponderous, four-hour
Gettysburg, the movie based on his dad's book.

Certainly Shaara and other famfic writers are not the first heirs to
capitalize on the money to be made from an ancestor's literary bequest.
There's a long tradition of children following in their parents' footsteps
in the creation of comic strips‹Beetle Bailey, Mary Worth, and Hi and Lois
are among the strips that were passed on from one generation to the next.
There's also a literary tradition that could once have been called the
Undead White Male‹an author who continues to publish long after his death.
Now that tradition includes writers who were nonwhite and non-male‹Ralph
Ellison's Juneteenth was published posthumously, and V.C. Andrews, the
author of Flowers in the Attic, continued "writing" books long after her
death‹the publisher and the estate first just didn't acknowledge that
Andrews had died, then baldly lied about a newly discovered trove of
manuscripts to explain the posthumous, and ghostwritten, books.

Other estates have reaped windfalls by asking other authors to write books
that feature a dead author's characters. Margaret Mitchell's heirs made big
bucks by letting Alexandra Ripley write Scarlett, a sequel to Gone With the
Wind. Now Mario Puzo's heirs are trying the same trick‹they own the rights
to the characters in the Corleone saga, and they want a writer to pen a
sequel to Puzo's The Godfather.

But famfic adds a new wrinkle to these efforts. Being an author's descendant
confers a certain moral authority to continue that author's work. Writers
often take advantage of this perception‹when Eric McLuhan was promoting The
Laws of Media, the book he co-wrote with his father, he told the Boston
Globe, "I've been described as my father's ghost.   In some ways I am a
continuation of him." Brian Herbert told USA Today that his deceased mother
"was prescient" when she encouraged Frank Herbert to protect his many notes
and papers. The discovery of those papers was "another episode of my mother
intervening from another world," allowing Herbert and Anderson to continue
the Dune books.

But again, Jeff Shaara takes the conceit to new heights‹or at least he did
during the promotion of Gods and Generals and The Last Full Measure, the
Killer Angels sequel he authored. Shaara frequently asserted that Michael
Shaara was writing through him‹that the son was merely a conduit for the
completion of his father's literary effort. A sampling of quotes: "While
writing Gods and Generals, I have often felt my father's presence, as though
he were there helping me write and giving me his blessing"; "When my sister
Lila read it, she said, 'This is being written by the ghost of Michael
Shaara.' "; "Very often I would feel as though my father was in the room."
He also attributed the "ghost of Michael Shaara" phrase to Ronald F.
Maxwell, the director of Gettysburg and Gods and Generals, saying that
Maxwell told him of his manuscript, "I am awe-struck. The ghost of Michael
Shaara."

Now, Jeff Shaara may genuinely believe that his father was writing through
him, and for all we know, it could even be true. But as a practical matter,
how far does the right of a descendant to continue his ancestor's literary
work extend? Christopher Tolkien clearly feels it ends after one
generation‹his son, Simon, has complained that his father tossed him from
the board that manages the Tolkien estate for expressing support for Peter
Jackson's film version of The Lord of the Rings. (J.R.R. Tolkien sold the
film rights to the books during his lifetime, so the estate has no input on
Jackson's films.) But a copyright term that extends 70 years after an
author's death lasts much longer than one generation. Eventually
grandchildren or even great-grandchildren may get in on the famfic act.

Here, a nonfiction writer has been the pioneer. During his lifetime, the
historian Stephen Ambrose employed the members of his family in what the
Wall Street Journal called "Stephen Ambrose Inc." As part of the enterprise,
Ambrose would hire his relatives "to help produce and promote his books."
The Journal's report on Ambrose Inc. implied disapproval of the project, but
it's not clear why. If your children are eventually going to mind the family
store, why should they have to wait to do it until you're dead?
Article URL: http://slate.msn.com/id/2078980/