Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Home

FLORIDABIRDS-L  March 2003

FLORIDABIRDS-L March 2003

Re: Eurasian Kestrel Viewing Schedule

Florida Nature Tours <[log in to unmask]>

Florida Nature Tours <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:21:55 -0500

text/plain

Vera Fitz-Gerald wrote:

> Pierre Howard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >Road at around 8 A.M. Harold says that they usually start in at 8:30
> >A.M.,but I would advise coming on the early side so as not to get left
> >standing at the gate. Harold advises that the best landmarks for Lust Road
>
> When I posted that I was leaving at 3 am to see the EuKe a couple of birders wrote to me and said not to rush driving up to Zellwood because Harold does not lock the gates behind the group when they go in so if you get there a bit later you can drive in and join them.  It's pretty easy to see where they are along the roads because the fields have been mowed.  So please don't worry about being left standing at the gate.  You might get the best view if you are first in line but you won't be left out if you're not.  It's definitely worth the trip.
>
> Vera Fitz-Gerald, Naples, FL

 Vera & All,

 Although you may technically be correct that Harold "does not lack
the gate" after the group goes in, & that if you are late, "you can
drive in & join them," I would STRONGLY advise against planning to be
there after 8:00 AM for the following 3 reasons:

1. Harold has asked that those who wish to see the bird be there at
8:00 or shortly thereafter.

This in fact should be enough reason, but for those who are not aware
of the circumstances surrounding the the situation at the Lake Apopka
Restoration area (all the old time birders call it Zellwood), I'll
quickly fill you in. About 5 years ago shortly after the St. John's
River Water Mgt. District bought out the private farms in the area
there was a large bird die off. White Pelicans & other fish eaters
were the main victims. Several federal agencies quickly moved in &
took over jurisdiction of the affected area. A number of "hot spots"
with high levels of insecticides were discovered & are being taken
care of, but the feds still exert a great deal of control over the
area & from the beginning of the situation have not wanted anyone in
there. Also from the beginning the water mgt. district has gone way
beyond the call of duty to accommodate birders whenever a rare bird is
discovered on the property. Harry Robinson does regular bird surveys
there for the district & is often the person who discovers gems such
as the kestrel which is there now. The simple fact of the matter is
that NO ONE without direct business on the property is allowed to go
in unescorted. Since the kestrel has been there, almost everybody has
been on time or early. The few times that people were late (to my
knowledge, in every case due to unavoidable circumstances), the group
was close enough to be seen from the gate area, & the late arrivals
drove on in & joined the group. Do not assume that this will be the
case of you arrive late. The following could happen if you are late:

A. The bird might move farther into the area, & the group may not be
visible from the gate. In fact it has been moving further from the
gate since it was first found.

B. If you drive in unescorted & one of the feds stops you the next
birds you see may be jail birds.

C. If the bird has been under observation by the group for some time &
then flies off into the distance, & you show up as everyone else is
leaving, should Harold take another hour or so to re find the bird for
you because you decided to show up late on purpose??? I THINK
NOT!!!!!!

2. Same reason as number 1.
3. Same reason as numbers 1 & 2!

Over the past 5 years the SJRWMD as an organization has done
everything in it's power for the birding community. We have a
responsibility to do whatever is asked of us to the letter. On an
individual basis many employees of that agency have donated there own
personal time on their days off to accommodate us birders. Harry gets
the word out & the district immediately formulates a plan to get
everybody in to see the bird. No begging, cajoling, threatening or
crying necessary! They do it because they want help us out. Without
Harry out there finding these things we could all knock a few birds
off our lists!!! We owe him a Great Deal!! But everybody at the
district from the director on down the line has been completely
supportive. Gian Basili & Jim Peterson are two names that jump out at
me for special thanks regarding these efforts. But, Harold Weatherman
has been our friend for so many years going back to the days when he
worked for the Zellwood Drainage District. This is the third weekend
that Harold has donated to the birding community regarding this bird.
He says that he enjoys doing it, & I know that he genuinely does, but
I also know that he would rather be relaxing with his dog, a Bud, &
his fishing pole. And believe me, there are much more important things
that he could have been doing at work every morning since the 27th of
Feb. than locating a little falcon for a bunch of birders.

Please, if you are planning on coming to see the kestrel, be there
around 8:00 AM. Catch up on your sleep when you get back home. Don't
get an extra hour or two of sleep at Harold's expense. And, be very
thankful that at least one governmental agency other than NASA & the
DOD feel an obligation to go the extra mile out of a feeling of
obligation to those of us who pay their salaries.

 Wes Biggs
 Florida Nature Tours, Orlando  407/363-1360
 http://www.floridanaturetours.com