Naples Bird Club "Century Run" results

Vincent Lucas <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:05:07 -0500

text/plain

All:

I've been busy doing other things so I'm now just getting around to
posting the results of the Naples Bird Club's Third Annual "Century Run"
held this past Sunday 9/16/03. For those of you who may not know, the
"Century Run" is the term we use to convey our quest for 0ne hundred
species of birds seen all in Collier County and all in one day. Last
year's record of 108 species was soundly shattered this year. Fifteen
birders had 119 species total including exotics. Yes, we count most any
avian entity native, exotic, intergalactic etc!

We started out bright and early at the Big Cypress Bend Boadwalk where we
had the "expected" warblers (Black-and-white, Northern Parula, Palm,
Yellow-rumped, PRAIRIE and Common Yellowthroat. The hoped for Magnolia
and Wormeating Warblers were a no show this year. Our FOTS Red-eyed
Vireos were vocalizing everywhere but it was incredibly difficult to get
to see these buggers! Other birds present were Great Crested Flycatcher,
Blue Jay, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Red-shouldered Hawk, Ruby-crowned
Kinglet, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, White-eyed and Blue-headed
Vireo, Pileated, Red-bellied & Downy Woodpecker, Gray Catbird, Northern
Cardinal and Common Grackle. the parking area had a Brown-headed Cowbird.

Our next stop was further east along U.S. Rte. 41 (Tamiami Trail) before
its junction with S.R. 29 where a nice mixed-flock of waders and
shorebirds were working the last pools of the water around. here we had
at least one pair of BLACK-NECKED STILTS, a half-dozen or more Roseate
Spoonbills as well as equal numbers of American White Pelican, the
"usual" herons, egrets, ibis, Mottled Duck (mother and twelve or so
young), Blue-winged Teal, Least Sandpiper, both yellowlegs, American
Coot, Northern Harrier etc.

From this location, we ventured on to Birdon Rd. where we found the Barn
Owl in its "usual" location. Northern Flicker, Belted Kingfisher, Osprey,
and other common birds were also seen along Birdon Rd. Wagonwheel Rd.
held one LEAST BITTERN seen by most, Eastern Phoebe, American Crow,
Red-winged Blackbird, WILSON'S SNIPE, Pied-billed Grebe, Common Moorhen,
Eastern Meadowlark, etc. One person saw a PURPLE GALLINULE but since the
"official" rules state that two or more birders must see the bird, we
didn't count it. All had a nice few of a basking Cottonmouth. Turner
River Rd. held the usual Pine Warblers and Eastern Bluebirds.

Leaving Turner River Rd, we helded back west to the Greenway/Fritchey Rd
area seeing a half-dozen or so SWALLOW-TAILED KITES along the way. We
found five WESTERN KINGBIRDS along Cecil Rd. but try as we might, we
could not locate the young Scissor-tailed Flycatcher I saw last Thursday.
A small flock of Tree Swallows were our only ones for the day. The yard
at the intersection of Fritchey & Greenway Rds. held no Pine Warblers,
Chipping Sparrows or Eastern Bluebirds. We did add Common Ground Dove and
a fly-over SHARP-SHINNED HAWK. Fritchey Rd. held at least five subadult
Bald Eagles and, an American Kestrel and a few waders but little else.

A brief stop at Naples Bird Club member Ken Klotz' bird feeders yielded
the only American Goldfinches of the day. Purple Martins were also
nesting in the "gourd" houses near the man-made lake in back of his house.

Our next stop was Shell Island Rd. and Briggs Nature Center. The area is
now completely dry and I mean DRY. There is no longer any drinking water
or any water for toilets etc. at Briggs. Apparently, the well has run
dry. Things do not bode well for Briggs Nature Center I fear. We did get
our Florida Scrub-Jays and Eastern Towhees but little else. Going over
the Jolly Bridge on the way to Marco island, I spied a Magnificent
Frigatebird.

Tigertail Beach gave us our most "bang for the buck". After most of us
waded across the lagoon (high tide) and inspite of some idiot
deliberately running his dog through the resting flocks (Tigertail is a
Critical Conservation Area-- one of only a few in the state), we readily
found all of the plovers, many Red Knots, one Willet, hundreds of Dunlin,
Short-billed Dowitcher, Sanderling, Western & Least Sandpiper, Ruddy
turnstone, American Oystercatcher plus LEAST Terns as well as Royals,
many Caspian, a few Sandwich but no Forster's or Common Terns. Black
Skimmers were abundant. The usual gulls were present but there were no
Northern Gannets anywhere to be found either near shore or out in the
Gulf. In the dune grasses, we flushed several Savannah Sparrows.

Burrowing owls on Marco can be rather easy to find if you know where to
find them. Near 90 degree temperatures in the afternoon doesn't readily
entice them to come out of their "cool" burrows however! Despite that
fact, we found several out in the open along Lamplighter Ct. in Marco.

The small lake at Frank Mackle Park on Marco island gave us the most
ducks for our day. We had a few RUDDY DUCKS, Northern Shoveler, feral
Mallard, Lesser Scaup, Muscovy, Ring-necked Duck, more Blue-winged Teal
and Mottled Ducks. We did not count the Peking Ducks however! A pair of
Magnificent Frigatebirds tempted us by coming in low to the lake as if to
drink but decided against it at the last minute.

Seeing that it was nearly 4:00PM, I had a treat in store for those
participants who "stuck-it-out" thus far. Several days prior, a
photographer friend of mine showed me some photos she had taken of some
psitticids in her neighborhood. Here was the "missing" Rose-ringed
Parakeet staging area! In addition, a few BLUE-CROWNED PARAKEETS, a
half-dozen or more White-eyed parakeets and at least two RED-MASKED
PARAKEETS were all coming to feeders or various palms and shrubs right
along the back canal near Tarpon Rd. in Naples. We got there right on
time to see the show. Magnificent! All had stunning looks and Suzanne was
there photographing them as she religiously does most late afternoons.
See my follow-up post about these Collier County psitticids.

Our next stop was the "posh" area around Tony's on Third restaurant to
try for the DICKCISSEL that has been frequenting the area for nearly two
weeks. Several of us had tanatalizing glimpses of "parts" of the bird
which stayed in the obscured top of a Bottlebrush Tree, but no one had a
really "killer" look at this bird like some of us have had in the morning
in days past. Still, enough people saw enough of the bird to count it for
the day. The ubiquitous House Sparrows were also our only ones for the
day.

We ended our day at Eagle Lakes Community Park where we added American
Wigeon, but no Eurasian Wigeon, and Loggerhead Shrike to the day's total.
A few people saw at least two BRONZED COWBIRDS (not me) so it too got on
the day list.

119 species for Collier County is a great total anytime. We hope to
better this mark next year. Maybe you will join us? I'd like to thank
everyone who participated and judging from the comments I've received,
all had a good time despite the heat and humidity.

Good birding!

Vincent Lucas
Naples