Thinking BIG Part 1

David Simpson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Mar 2003 19:36:04 -0500

text/plain

Hi folks,

Andy and I beat the February Big Day record for Florida by five species on
February 2, 2003.  Considering the misses, we decided we could do more.  The
first run was largely unscouted and featured many misses that could easily
be remedied.  We had nearly four weeks to plan and prepare for the next
assault and this is what happened.

A less than mentally challenging job and an active imagination are a
dangerous mix.  As the plan evolved, it got more and more elaborate.  Andy
was supposed to be the level-headed one and keep me in check.  He failed
miserably in this respect.  Multiple routes went through our minds.  There
are so many species at Smyrna Dunes, there has to be a way to include that.
Tosohatchee could hold the key to several pine woods species as well as the
NW Brevard specialties, all in one spot.  Including that could eliminate
many traditional spots on the route.  The resulting time savings would allow
for radical changes in the route.  Scouting Smyrna Dunes was rather
disappointing.  The only target was Purple sandpiper in the early dawn
light.  No Lesser black-backed gulls, Wilson's or Piping plovers, or
Sandwich terns.  Well, I guess we can eliminate that from the route.
Tosohatchee was full of targets.  That's in.  The groves had many sparrows.
The refuge had ducks and shorebirds galore.  At some point in the planning
process, it occurred to me that we would have about five hours of birding
after dark on Friday night.  Why not go to the Everglades and spook up a
White-crowned pigeon.  Chucks and Whips should be singing and maybe even a
Seaside sparrow at night.  Stupid idea, but it led to even better ones.
There are so many birds in the Everglades in winter.  Warblers galore.
Great-crested flycatchers.  White-crowned pigeons.  Think of all the
shorebirds at Snake Bight.  Hmm.  If we can get out of Brevard early, we can
be at Everglades National Park by early afternoon.  Kendall is not far off
the turnpike, we could pick up four targets in less than 45 minutes.  Andy
thinks this is a great idea.  Andy's idea of a long trip in the car is that
you sleep for awhile and wake up at your destination.

So the route evolved.  A dry run proved that it could be done.  New species
were added to the possibility list (Turkeys calling and Wood ducks flying on
the river at Tosohatchee.)  The plan took root and we were off.

We left my place at 0145 on 28 Feb 03.  Our first species was Eastern
screech-owl, the resident pair responding to the taped call as we packed the
truck.  Off to Snug Harbor for the Canada goose; score!  We didn't spend
much time owling in the groves; we would pick up owls in the Everglades.  We
headed out to the St. John's River at Tosohatchee State Reserve well before
first light.  I had gotten permission the week before to get in before
regular hours; perq's of the job.  It was then that the first clouds of
doubt entered our minds.  There were no stars in the sky.  The solid
overcast sky blotted them out.  The wind was calm.  As long as it doesn't
rain too much, we will be OK.  A week ago, the weather forecast was for rain
on Friday and Saturday.  I was confident that we would be alright; they
haven't gotten a forecast right a week ahead of time yet.  It seemed that
this would be the one time that they actually predicted it right.  Light
rains came and went.  Dawn was delayed somewhat.  King rails called, but no
turkeys or Wood ducks.  A pair of Black-necked stilts berated the upcoming
day and a Least bittern called in the gray dawn light.  These were nice
bonuses, but we would probably get them later in the day.  Wake up turkey!
Where are those Wood ducks?  When planning a long Big Day, you cannot afford
to get caught up in picking up fumbles.  So, we went on; confident that we
would pick up the rest of our targets.  We got chickadee and titmouse, but
amazingly missed Bachman's sparrow, Hairy woodpecker, nuthatch, bluebird and
Blue-headed vireo.  We had another shot at the vireo, but five misses with
no chance of picking them up put us out of the running for the big money.
We left Tosohatchee with only 36 species.  The day before I had 50 species.

Our next stop was the grove in Mims.  We had picked out four stops which we
could quickly pick up our target species.  At the chat spot, we picked up
White-throated sparrow, lots of Song sparrows, Ovenbird, and Painted
bunting.  No other sparrows or bonus species.  South of the county line on
Dixie Way, we found our reliable flock of Chipping and Vesper sparrows.
South of Huntington Avenue at the jog in Dixie Way, we missed White-crowned
sparrow.  The FIND site also failed to produce White-crowned or Field
sparrow.  We were doing alright, but still missing much needed species.  We
left the groves with 73 species.

We speed birded (no time for Zen) the refuge in 40 minutes.  Florida scrub
jay was sitting on a tree south of Haulover Canal.  Most of the ducks were
in evidence on Blackpoint.  We missed Gadwall.  We had to scrounge for
American green-winged teal.  The rising water levels continued to shift the
birds around.  There was only one Great black-backed gull and no Stilt
sandpipers at Stop 6.  A quick check of the birds along CR 402 found a small
flock of Long-billed dowitchers as well as godwits and Herring gulls.  No
need to look for other shorebirds; we will get them at Snake Bight.  A quick
stop on the causeway picked netted Common loon and turnstone.  In hindsight,
we should have looked for Sanderling as well.  The refuge gave us a good
shot in the arm; we were on our way with 113 species.  Almost back on track
but still missing many irretrievable targets.

Before leaving Brevard County, we made a quick stop behind the new Wal Mart
in Viera to check the pond.  The staked out Ruddy and Ring-necked ducks and
Lesser scaup were there, but the hoped for Caracara was not.  A desperate
two minute stop along I-95 in the buffer preserve failed to fill in the pine
woods gaps, so we left Brevard with 116 species; the day before I had 120
species.

A few species were added on the way to Kendall and we exited the turnpike
with 120 species.  A screeching flock of Canary-winged parakeets greeted us
but defied specific identification.  We found Muscovy duck and two of our
targets:  Monk parakeet and Red-whiskered bulbul.  We hoped for White-winged
parakeet and Spot-breasted oriole, but both were no shows.

We arrived at Lucky Hammock at about 1420, not exactly prime time.  We only
managed a couple of species in the hammock before heading on in to Royal
Palm.  Time of day was still hurting us.  We only found American crow and
Black and white warbler.  We were looking forward to the long run to Snake
Bight and the plethora of songbirds and shorebirds that would add to our
list.  We stood at a mere 127, but looked to increase that by about 20 in
the next hour and a half.  When we arrived at Snake Bight, we found that it
was closed for rehabilitation.  Am I to assume the boardwalk is being
replaced?  Only the park service would close down a two mile trail to fix a
50 foot boardwalk.  We decided to try and make up the difference by hiking
Christian Point Trail.  It's an interesting trail, but not very efficient.
Lots of twists and turns.  Nice and scenic, but a waste of time if you are
looking for birds.  There is not much mature hammock.  Most of the trail
runs through prairie.  When we finally got to the point, we had a hard time
'scoping the bay and the birds were so far away that we couldn't even pick
out any shorebirds.  Andy did pick out a flamingo among the white pelicans.
We had a nice look at Swallow-tailed kite and Peregrine falcon, but overall
it was a disaster for the Big Day.  We left the trail with 132 species and
only slim hopes of even beating the old record.

Hope springs eternal and we looked forward to the opportunity of filling in
the many easy holes in our list.  We searched around the Flamingo VIC and
soon found a small flock of songbirds.  There was the usual Cape May and a
Yellow-throated warbler.  A Sprague's pipit flew into a palm tree.  ?????
Well that was Andy's first impression of the bird.  Actually, it was an
oriole.  An oriole with a very gray back, grayish belly, yellow undertail
coverts, and yellow, slightly orange face and throat.  After some
consternation, research, and further thought, we decided that it was a
female Bullock's oriole.  That was my first impression, but I wanted to do
some research before deciding.  I believe that was a life bird for Andy.
Good thing, because he already has Sprague's pipit.  This helped some, but
it was late and we had little hope of getting the record.  We left with 135
species and low spirits.

We were not to be defeated easily.  At Eco Pond, we picked up Green heron
and Sora.  We devised a plan to get White-crowned pigeon and be back at the
pond in time for the nighthawks.  We drove back as far as Snake Bight.  A
quick stop for waterthrush turned up nothing and we headed back to Eco Pond.
No pigeons!  Nothing is working out on this day.  No nighthawks at the pond,
just a Purple gallinule feeding high in the vegetation.  We had hoped to
hear Clapper rails in the surrounding salt marsh, but nothing.  We headed to
Flamingo fro some hot dogs and rest.  Surely we would get at least
Yellow-crowned night-heron at the marina.  No.  Barred owl failed to call at
Mahogany hammock.  No Seaside sparrows at Taylor Creek.  Royal Palm was
devoid of nightjars and owls.  Nothing was working.  We were tired and faced
with the prospect of doing it again the next day.  Andy was fading fast.  He
pretty much slept between stops.  I guess 640 miles of riding must have worn
him out.

To top things off, there was a race in town and all of the motels had jacked
their prices up to outrageous levels.  We couldn't find anyone to crash with
at this late time, so we bit the bullet and stayed at a place in Florida
City. We were somewhat disillusioned with the results of today.  19+ hours
of birding, 640+ miles driven, 138 species observed.  This was indeed one of
the worst Big Days I had ever had, only eclipsed (undermined) by the final
performance of the Feather Dusters many long years ago.  Andy was conscious
again.  We made the decision to try again tomorrow.  Originally, we were
going to try a west coast route, but we decided to reverse the route of the
day before.  It was a great temptation to just sleep late and slowly drive
back home the next day, but what kind of Big Day warriors would we be if we
did that?  I couldn't help but think that the next day would be better.  The
biggest things that hurt us were the lack of scouting in the south end and
the weather.  The weather would be pretty much the same, but that would not
hurt us as much in the afternoon.  Birding Everglades and Lucky Hammock in
the early AM would net many more birds.  We would fight again tomorrow!  The
March record was ours for the taking!

David Simpson
Fellsmere, FL