Thinking BIG Part 2

David Simpson <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 8 Mar 2003 20:54:45 -0500

text/plain

Hi Folks,

After a few hours of sleep in their overpriced cheap motel, our battered
road warriors awoke and headed out for what had to be a better day.  The
March record stood like a ripe plum, ready to be picked.  142 species, piece
of cake.  Flamingo was our first destination.  Our first bird of the day was
a Black-crowned night-heron en route.  At the marina we would find Great
blue heron and heard the Yellow-crowned night-heron that had eluded us the
day before.  Perhaps this was a good sign.  Eco Pond gave up a sleepy Sora
and a few Savannah sparrows as well as a coot that never woke up as we gazed
upon in from the boardwalk.  A quick stop at Mrazek Pond yielded Wood stork
and Great egret.

Here's where the plan began to unravel.  Somehow, at 0300, it seemed
reasonable to forgo getting gas and head on into the park for some birding
before the sun came up.  We would come back out and get gas in plenty of
time before dawn chorus.  Duh!  We got out to the nearest gas station and
the birds were already waking up.  We put a few dollars in and raced back to
the park.  Once at the gate, we had to wait while several fisherman
purchased annual passes to get into the park.  The toll collector didn't
have enough sense to make them pull over while the other folks went on
through.  After a few rounds of passes, we finally got through and headed to
our dawn spot, just a little too late.  We had hoped for BC flycatcher at
Long Pine along with Chucks, Whips, quail, and a few other pine woods birds.
We managed to get a few things, but were too late for nightjars or quail.
We heard turkeys and bluebirds, both reintroduced but not yet reestablished.
We stumbled through the rest of the morning without a clear schedule, but
determined to make the best of it.  A quick stop along Taylor Creek netted
singing Cape Sable Seaside sparrow.  Lucky Hammock produced several new
birds including Indigo bunting and Grasshopper sparrow.  Back to Royal Palm.
We headed down Anhinga Trail in the still early morning light.  Not only was
this good for water birds, but the sun hitting the vegetation on the right
side of the trail produced some good songbirds.  Yellow-throated vireo
appeared along with parulas.  A photographer inadvertently pointed out a
Purple gallinule.  Andy picked up his Least bittern.  After a little
indecision, we headed into Gumbo Limbo Trail and picked up a good deal of
songbirds.  We found Blue-headed vireo, Ruby-throated hummingbird and a
bonus Hooded warbler.  Feeling a little better about things and knowing that
we would at least have the consolation prize of the March record, we headed
back to Lucky Hammock.  Orange-crowned warbler and Least flycatcher awaited
us.  We needed to make time, so we headed to the kingbird roost area to
hopefully get a few tardy kingbirds and a Scissor-tailed.  The Western
kingbirds were in evidence along with two bonus Shiny cowbirds.  This is
more like it.  Andy picked out a Purple martin from his side of the truck.
That was one of the misses the day before and would be our only one of the
day.  As we headed into town to get gas for the second time today, we had 69
species.  Not a bad start.  With good time, we should do pretty well.

Once on the turnpike, we made the decision to forgo Kendall on the way back
up.  Actually I made the decision, and since I was driving, my decision
holds more weight.  The rationale was that we could pick up one of our
targets from the turnpike.  At best, we would probably only get two by
getting off in Kendall.  It worked.  After I pointed out some Monk parakeet
nests in Broward County, Andy was able to pick one up.

We picked up several species en route to Brevard County.  We crossed the
county line with 88 species.  We wondered if we would reach 100 by MINWR.
We were an hour ahead of time, another reason for skipping Kendall.  This
would give us the flexibility to get more species at the end of the day.  An
unscheduled stop at Sarno Ext. picked up a  few water birds.  I got a pipit
as it flew away.  No Snail kite today.  Viera had the expected scaup,
Ring-necked, and Ruddy duck.  As we made a U turn to get back on the
highway, I told Andy to check out a strange hawk on a tree nearby.  I didn't
have any idea what it was, so we pulled off and got a caracara for the list.
These had proven difficult in scouting.  I didn't think we would get one
today.

We were approaching the refuge with 98 species under our belts.  We picked
up a few species at Veteran's Park.  The Spotted sandpiper was a no show
again, but we got Common loon, and Red-breasted merganser.  We entered the
refuge with 102 species and ready to fill our pockets with all the goodies
it had to offer.  The main road and E. Gator Creek threw such a flurry of
new species at us that we would could hardly keep up.  All of the shorebirds
were present including an unexpected Semipalmated sandpiper.  It took us
awhile to find Short-billed dowitcher.  I found one in a flock of knots.  If
it hadn't been in flight, I wouldn't have gotten him.  Blackpoint produced
Black-necked stilt and Hooded merganser, but Huey the EUWI eluded us.
Pintail, Gadwall, and Canvasback would not show as well.  That hurts, but it
is not entirely unexpected at this end of winter.  We stopped for
approximately 37 seconds at the Eagle nest spot on 406.  I didn't think that
it was necessary.  We saw eagles six more times before dark, but you never
know.  127 species and so many holes.

Tosohatchee was kind to us this time.  We picked up all of our targets
except chickadee.  The bluebirds were in the proper place.  A flock on St.
Nicholas produced kinglet, titmouse, nuthatch, and Hairy woodpecker.
Stopping at Tosohatchee Creek, we picked up Black and white warbler and
Hermit thrush after a few minutes' wait.  Driving up the road I casually
pointed out the robins on the side of the road.  Andy reminded me that we
hadn't seen them yet today.  Weird, we added robin at 1600.  We got gas for
the third time that day in Christmas.  A slight backtrack to Orlando
Wetlands Park was productive.  We got the staked out Limpkin easily.  We
tried for Marsh and Sedge wrens (still missing from the list) in the
cattails.  We were hoping for King rails, but only got Soras.  Before I
could pull over to the south side of the road for a quick peek on that side,
I noticed a raptor crossing the road.  I think I know what that was.  We ran
up the dike and both saw a Snail kite flying over the marsh.  Nice pick up.
We left with 137 species.  Five away from the record and many many holes to
fill.

En route to the groves we picked up our first flicker of the day.  At the
chat spot, we slowly convinced the birds that it was OK to come out.
Several Swamp sparrows eventually showed.  Andy got his Grasshopper sparrow
for the day.  Two bobwhites called back and forth in the bushes.  Several
Painted buntings flitted around and the White-throated sparrow added itself
to the list.  Our Vesper and Chipping flock was mostly Vesper today.  There
were a few chippies calling in the woods nearby.  The jog in Dixie produced
four White-crowned sparrows and a snipe.  Where were you White-crowneds
yesterday?  We still had time to kill, so we headed out to Scottsmoor
landing to check the marsh and lagoon.  The impoundment revealed little, but
there were plenty of ducks on the lagoon.  Rafts of scaup were everywhere,
staging in the north end of the lagoon before heading on.  We tried in vain
for Redhead or Canvasback.  A very distant grebe was finally determined to
be Pied-billed.  More loons and Red-breasted merganser.  A flock of scaup
flew by and one was a Greater.  I told Andy and he picked out the bird
without me telling him which one it was.  Good spotting, kid.  After another
stop at the chat spot, we headed to our final daylight spot with 148
species.  Six species over the record and still there were easy birds to
add.

Turnbull Creek was our final spot in the light.  We added Sedge and Marsh
wrens and Clapper rails.  Andy was in full Big Day mode.  The old one was
content to finish out the day on the railroad tracks, catching a breather
before heading out into the night.  "We need to hit a freshwater marsh for
King rail" was the punk's idea.  The old one began to think of where we
could accomplish this. It is 1800.  Where can we get to by dark and get a
King rail?  How about Lake Poinsett?  It's only 35 miles away.  30 minutes
later we were there (and that was after stopping to get gas again!)  As we
drove down Providence Road, we saw eight Black-bellied whistling ducks
flying south.  That was why we came here.  Now for those King rails.  None
were heard, so we headed on to Mud Lake after dark.  This is right behind my
parents' house.  I had King rails on each of 300 birding trips there while
growing up.  Some would argue that I never actually grew up, but most people
believe the King rails.  No rails this time.  We decided to head out to
Jetty Park after dark to walk the beach in search of Sandwich terns.  We
searched, but did not see anything at all.  I completely forgot to check the
barge canal for oystercatcher.  We were getting desperate and it was getting
late.  We needed to leave time for easy pickups like screech owl and Canada
goose.  152 species and time for a break.

Hunger was weighing heavily upon us as we hit the Steak and Shake on Merritt
Island.  For some reason, I always try to turn into Hooter's when I go
there.  You can't count those owls.  After filling up on steaks and shakes,
we decided that we would head on to the buffer preserve for the remainder of
the calendar day.  En route, we ducked into Snug Harbor and saw the immature
Canada goose at the same spot at the day before.  I decided that we would
hit Goodwin before the buffer.  Great-horned and possibly Barn owl could be
there.  I woke Andy up when we got there and we headed to the east side of
the parking lot to get away from the airboat noise.  We did not get
Great-horned owls, but a cooperative Barn owl screeched for us.  It was now
about 2230 and we headed to my place for the easy screech owls.  On the way,
a Barred owl grabbed something along the edge of the road.  The screech owls
were in their usual spot, but no Great-horned.  It was now 2300 and we were
limited on our time.  I decided that we should head over to Sebastian Inlet
for the remainder of the day.  We checked the south side to see if any
Sandwich terns were sitting around.  From the sounds of it, the gulls and
terns were on the sand bars in the lagoon.  The north side of the inlet
would be our final spot.  We checked around the field for Great-horned owl.
We checked the tidal pool for terns.  We checked again for owls.  Time ran
out and we were at 155 species.  Not bad, but only the same as February.  21
hours of birding and just under 700 miles of driving.  After much needed
sleep and a recount, we would have 159 species.  We could have done better
with a little better scouting.  Next year, we will be more ready.

Our two day total was 176 species.  With a little better scouting on the
first day and a west coast route on the second day, we could have had 200+.
Maybe next year.  Perhaps there should be a Big Double Day category.

What did we learn from this?  Many lessons.  Most importantly, we learned
that this route works.  The challenge is in scouting such distant places.  I
like the idea of back to back Big Days with reverse routes.  It gives a
chance to scout on the first day.  I may try the ENP - East coast route
again at the end of the month when I have about five days off.  I have
several more crazy routes in mind.  These long distance Big Days are a
challenge logistically and physically, but they are the wave of the future.
One big advantage is that you continue to get large numbers of new birds all
day long.  You must be disciplined enough to keep moving and not take too
many side trips for one species.  I look forward to many more Big Day
adventures.

David Simpson
Fellsmere, FL