Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  March 2003

RECMGMT-L March 2003

Re: The new Army Record Keeping System

"Tyler, Judy K Ms DACH-Ft Hood" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:37:01 -0600

text/plain

Bob,

I have been screaming about this for at least three years, but it's falling
on deaf ears.  I'm not sure who outside of the Fort Belvoir group likes the
new system.  As I tried pointing out to the group at RMDA (Fort Belvoir)
that I totally agreed that our MARKS system needed revising and needed to be
made more user friendly, but all they did was change the retention period
and the fact that we don't have a standard way of labeling our records
anymore.  They claim this is because field units don't have clerks to do RM
anymore.  My point is, how do they think it's going to get done under the
new system.  This goes against every RM principle I have learned over the
years.  They also have a CRM working in that office.  I just can't believe
she is a proponent of this concept.  They are also saying that ARIMS will
capture electronic records, to include e-mail, that folks would not
ordinarily think about keeping as a record.  The ARIMS system does not
automatically capture the electronic record, you have to physically put it
into the system.  If soldiers are not keeping their records now, they
certainly aren't going to place them in an electronic record repository,
unless the system forces them to, which it doesn't.  Another bone of
contention with me is the system is not DOD 5015.2 certified.  I raised this
and was told that it is not an RMA, but rather an electronic repository.
They are assigning retention to T records, the records are being stored, and
then destroyed when retention has been met.  Sounds like an RMA to me.  Well
enough of my soap box.  Laura Bell hit a sore spot with me when she asked
the question about ARIMS.  I could have gone on much longer than I did, but
I really would have bored the listserv.  Take care and it was good hearing
from you.

Judy