Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  March 2003

SOCNET March 2003

Re: coolest classroom social network exercises

"Thomas W. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>

Thomas W. Valente

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:33:59 -0800

text/plain

***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/ *****

David,
We published:

Valente, T. W. (1996). The diffusion network game. Connections, 19(2),
30-37.

if you don't have access to back issues of Connections, I can send you a
copy. The game uses pocker chips to illustrates how ideas and practices
spread through communities, you have to collect classroom network data a
week before hand, but otherwise it is simple to implement and students
like it a lot.

- Tom V.

David Lazer wrote:
> ***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/ *****
>
> I will be teaching a short course on social network analysis later this
> semester, and I have a question: what are the coolest classroom exercises
> that you have used to illuminate network concepts? One example: Barry
> Wellman has students analyze the origins and destinations of their e-mails
> for a discrete period of time to illustrate some ideas about distance,
> e-mail, and social networks. Clearly social network analysis has direct
> applicability to people's lives, and there is a great pedagogical
> opportunity to tap into that. I have some ideas, but would like to hear
> what other people have done.
>
> Thanks.
>
> David

To learn more about my evaluation book go to:
http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0195141768.html
My personal webpage:
http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/
---