]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  March 2003

SOCNET March 2003

Re: Networks in the current global situation

Moses Boudourides <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:07:54 +0200

text/plain

Dear all,

Just to add a few references to those given by Carter. The following are
from the perspective of social movements & collective action combining
social networks considerations:

Kim, H., & Bearman, P.S. (1997). The structure and dynamics of movement
participation. American Sociological Review, vol. 62, pp. 70-93.

Ohlemacher, T. (1996). Bridging people and protest: Social relays of
protest groups against low-flying military jets in West Germany. Social
Problems, vol. 43, pp. 197-218.

Lohmann, S. (1994). The dynamics of informational cascades: The Monday
demonstrations in Leipzig, East Germany, 1989-91. World Politics, vol. 47,
pp. 42-101.

Oliver, P., Marwell, G. (2001). Whatever happened to critical mass theory?
A retrospective and assessment. Sociological Theory, vol. 19, no. 3, pp.
292-311.

Diani, M., & McAdam, D. (eds.) (2003). Social Movements and Networks:
Relational Approaches to Collective Action. Oxford: Oxford University
Press.

The last references is a very important work where you could find more
references to the diffusion approach in social movements (e.g., the work
of Pamela Oliver, Daniel Myers, Susan Olzak, Peter Hedstrom, David Strang,
Nancy Tuma and many others). Please, let me know if you need the latter
references on SM-diffusion so that I might post them into the list.

Cheers & Peace,

--Moses

  M.A. Boudourides
  Associate Professor