]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  March 2003

SOCNET March 2003

Re: Networks in the current global situation

Charles Kadushin <[log in to unmask]>

Charles Kadushin <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:53:29 -0500

text/plain

Applied research always helps to get the social network theory and method
juices flowing -- whether the application is the Web itself, degrees of
connections to second rate actors, the "Bank Wiring Room," mergers and
acquisitions, innovation in bio-technology, corporate board relations, the
spread of AIDS, terrorist organizations, and yes, even politics when the
latter involves network behavior, as it surely does.

Networks, of course, are always draped on the structures of social
institutions. I fear, however, that Mark Grannovetter's usage of "embedded"
has been taken over by some current applications outside the social network
field.

And to note one of my current concerns, all of this inevitably involves
ethics, as Skye Bender-deMoll correctly noted in a recent posting.