RECMGMT-L March 2003

Miami Tornado Update

Jim Teske <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 08:19:50 -0500

text/plain

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - An Update from Archive America, Miami

Disaster Planning Pays Off

Archive America feels fortunate to have the resources, the people, the
world-class partners, and the advance planning to have been prepared for
what happened this past Thursday evening in South Florida.

What Happened

On Thursday, March 27, 2003 at approximately 5PM EST, one or more level F2
tornados (from a group of 6 tornados reported in the Greater Miami area at
the time) struck at or near an Archive America facility in Miami, Florida.
The facility, which is staffed 24/7/365, sustained some damage to its roof,
related vehicles, and power lines.  Fortunately there were no injuries to
any personnel.

As a testament to the strength and integrity of the AA facility, although it
suffered some damage, damages sustained by neighboring properties were
reportedly much more extensive.

The Impact & Solutions

Electric Power & Information Systems

Electric power from outside the facility was lost, but uninterruptible power
supply (UPS) equipment in the IT department ensured the safe shut down of
all information systems with no corruption or loss of data.

Back-up generators were in place and operated to bring local information
systems back up quickly.  In addition, manual operations were in place
offering emergency service from the event until the next morning when
Archive America's IT group ensured stability of networks and all management
data and restored full access to information systems.

Communications Systems

Normal inbound telephone lines to the facility were interrupted for
approximately 24 hours by the event.  However, until restoration of normal
inbound telephone service, the primary inbound telephone number for the
facility was re-routed to an alternate AA facility in Florida where other
personnel could continue to receive and handle calls and offer emergency
access.  Manual operations, needed for only about five business hours,
including the use of cell phones and radios which offered additional
coverage of any emergency retrieval requests and were used to communicate
both internally with team members and proactively with customers.

Protection of Records

Upon occurrence of the event, Disaster Recovery teams were immediately
implemented and independent third party world-class recovery expert, BMS
Catastrophe ("BMS Cat"), joined the business continuity and records
restoration effort.  Approximately 5,500 records containers (less than  of
1% (0.5%) of the boxed records stored in the facility) were in areas where
damage to the facility occurred and were carefully examined by BMS Cat.  An
estimated 4,000 containers were re-packed after BMS Cat used sophisticated
measurement equipment to confirm that none of the material within those
containers was holding moisture.

Approximately 1,500 containers and a small volume of open shelf file
materials were affected by moisture and are being placed in freezers for
further restoration procedures as required.

The frozen records will be stored in a facility that maintains constant
deep-freeze conditions until they are completely recovered.  Any frozen
moisture in the records is removed in a vacuum freeze-drying chamber, the
process recommended by both the U.S. Library of Congress and the National
Archives and Records Administration.  The method utilized by Archive
America's recovery partner maintains the records at freezing temperatures
throughout the freeze-drying process.  Freeze-drying relies on extremely low
vacuum pressure, similar to conditions in outer space, which causes ice
crystals to sublimate, or leave the records while still frozen, thereby
facilitating removal of any moisture.  The end result is that file materials
are protected from undue deterioration and are usually fully usable upon
completion of the process.

All affected records continue to be active, will continue to be tracked by
Archive America's inventory system, and will be available for retrieval and
delivery to customers, if needed, with minimum delay.

At this point, we are pleased to tell you that we have been advised by BMS
Cat that they expect one hundred percent (100%) of the records affected by
this storm to be recoverable.

Ongoing Efforts

Complete lists of all containers (re-packed and/or frozen) and open shelf
records are being forwarded to the very small number of AA customers whose
records may have been impacted by this event.  All other operational aspects
of the affected AA facility have returned to normal.

The internal Archive America team and some very helpful third parties have
worked hard to protect what we manage for customers.  We will be delivering
proactive updates to any affected customers on an ongoing basis.

Archive America takes our responsibility to our customers very seriously and
greatly appreciates the understanding and support we've received during a
challenging period.

A review of this process and our efforts will soon be available on our
website.  We appreciate the positive feedback we've received so far and
remain committed to clients' interests.  Please feel free to contact us at

Andy Blank, President
Archive America Inc.