RECMGMT-L March 2003

FAQs

Lawrence Medina <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Mar 2003 18:58:36 -0800

text/plain

You know, like What Is an FAQ?

(Frequently Asked Questions, in case you didn't know)
=)

Okay, I know the Listserv doesn't have an FAQ List and
I'm not encouraging that we DO HAVE ONE, but it never
ceases to amaze me how many questions come up
repeatedly here.  And yes, I know it's in part because
people "pop in and pop out" and then there's the
annual rush of students that want answers to their RM
homework assignments that are here for a semester or
less, but still...

I guess they always seem to fall into three
categories, too...

- The ones with a "yes or no" answer
- The ones with a "maybe" answer
- The ones with a "that depends" answer

There seem to be very few of them that are asked in a
manner that is complete enough to even get the first
type of answer, and the others have answers that are
dependent upon so many factors and scenarios that
they're always going to require some real in-depth
thought (these are the good ones!)

But one thing I've found is the answers given depend
largely on the environment the responder works in, or
what their specific experience/exposure is.

Take, for example the "Question de Jour" about
scanning.  A simple enough question on the surface,
but part one begs a group of follow-up questions
before an answer can be given.  Ginny gave a BEAUTIFUL
textbook response, no one gave a wrong response, but
the first questions I would have asked are:

-What are the documents, how long do they need to be
retained and why is someone asking this question?

-Why are you considering scanning at all?

The second part of the question was a bit more
problematic.  There are a myriad of resources for
scanning, such as Standards and Procedures, firms who
provide services, vendors who sell hardware and
software, consultants (yes, the folks you pay to read
your watch and tell you what time it is) and service
bureaus.  But the first questions I would have asked
are:

- What type of resources are you looking for?

- Have you even considered what you are able to do, or
what your capabilities are?

I'm sure a group of you saw this (and some of the
other FAQs) and thought the same thing... and it makes
me wonder why there aren't any available resources for
people entering the profession or completely foreign
to it that are "thrust into it" to answer questions of
this nature.

I was participating on a panel interviewing candidates
for a position recently and one of the questions asked
was in regard to providing services to customers in a
reference desk type scenario and I was amused a bit by
the answer given... the individual said: "Well, it
depends on the requester... if it's an adult/student,
we typically do a bit of research for them and then
give them the specific information they need and/or
requested and then provide them access to the
materials they need.  If it's a child, we tell them
where to go and search for the information and let
them look for it on their own." =)

And it seems that's what we tend to do around here,
only there aren't any children.  The reason the
individual gave as to why they made the children do it
themselves was that they "...felt it was important to
teach children to learn how to find things on their
own and as they do this, they learn more about what
they're looking for."

So, you ask... where is he GOING WITH THIS?

Well, I'm thinking we (the RIM Profession) need to
develop some form of finding aids and/or decision
trees for people who are asking these rudimentary
questions that we seem to be fielding on a regular
basis.  They exist for other professions, even for
part of our profession... for the microfilm and
imaging folks, AIIM/ANSI have wonderful Technical
Reports, some of which are even arranged and sold in
sets because they are interrelated.  But WE don't seem
to have anything like this... no "how to's" or
"guidelines", a limited number of "technical reports",
and basically everything else is word of mouth or seat
of your pants learning... trial be fire, as it were.

So what do others think?  Is this something that would
be useful?  Is this something that many of us could
(or would be willing to) contribute some time to
working on?

It could be done in a Yahoo Group type format, or even
in a Blog form, a living document that folks would
(like a workbook or journal) check out and make some
additions to, then put back for others to work on some
more until it's sort of done.  Everyone who worked on
it could be a contributing author and at some point in
time it would essentially be made available for use,
and revised periodically.

I mean, if we were SERIOUS ABOUT IT, we could do this
through the ARMA Standards Development Committee by
proposing the idea that we start developing Technical
reports and Guidelines on a variety of topics or
subject matters that are pertinent to the beginning
(or even the advanced) RIM Practitioners, form Task
forces, join them, participate in developing the
documents for review and editing and hen have them
formally edited and issued as ARMA or eventually
ARMA/ANSI formal documents for use by the RIM
Profession... and it would then be easy to point
people to resources for the answers to these types of
questions that are fielded over and over.

The ARMA SDC is meeting at the end of this month in
Lenexa and as I recall, last year a question was asked
"What type of work should we be looking at doing that
the RIM Profession could benefit from?" and I THINK
there is someone who participates on this Listserv who
JUST MIGHT BE GOING TO THAT MEETING and would be
willing to take back some ideas in case that question
comes up again... so what do you think??

Any ideas??

Larry