SOCNET May 2003

(event) PlaNetwork Conf Jun 6-8, SF

Cynthia Typaldos <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 19 May 2003 11:53:59 -0700

text/plain

***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/ *****

I am speaking Saturday morning June 7 at this conference and plan to attend
most of it.

If you have any questions, please contact Renee Lertzman at

Cynthia

::: A PlaNetwork Conference ::: Networking a Sustainable Future :::

“Think of it. We are blessed with technology that would be indescribable to
our forefathers. We have the wherewithal, the know-it-all, to feed
everybody, clothe everybody, give every human on earth a chance, without
damaging the integrity of the planet." -- R. Buckminster Fuller.

WHEN: June 6-8, San Francisco, CA.

WHAT: A gathering of innovators from the world of information technology,
environmental advocates, peace and social justice activists, independent
media pioneers, and many others to explore how social networks, information
technologies and the Internet can play a key role in accelerating positive
global change.

WHY: To investigate, demonstrate, challenge and discuss how we are using our
technological tools to enact and mobilize the changes needed to promote a
more just, healthy and civil society.

WHO: Among the dozens of speakers and participants, highlights include:

* Joan Blades & Wes Boyd, cofounders of MoveOn, the online phenomenon
that has moved online mobilization and international peace and justice
activism to new levels in the past year.
* Douglas Engelbart, inventor of the mouse, hypertext, and windows with a
forty-year track record predicting, designing, and implementing the future
of organizational computing.
* Hazel Henderson, worldwide syndicated columnist, advocate for equitable
ecologically and sustainable human development, and author of several books,
including Creating Alternative Futures: The End of Economics, Building a
Win-Win World: Life Beyond Global Economic Warfare, and Politics of the
Solar Age: Alternatives to Economics.
* Jeff Gates, author of Democracy at Risk: Rescuing Main Street from Wall
Street.
* David Dill, Stanford University computer scientist challenging touch
screen voting.
* Tom Matzzie, National Interactive Campaign Manager, AFL-CIO.
* Cynthia Typaldos, Software Product Marketing eGroup
* Henri Poole, Free Software Foundation board member and founder of
Affero, a rating and payment service for authors of online works.

And many more...
visit http://www.planetwork.net for full listing of presenters

CONTEXT: Technology has come a long way since the advent of the Internet in
the late 1980s. From email-to-fax action alerts to geographic information
systems (GIS), to the simple speed of email networks, we are now armed with
powerful tools that can be used for moving us into a more sustainable
future. Amid accelerating global crises, new social and technological forces
are converging into a an unique exciting and powerful movement for global
change. The growing sense of empowerment of a global citizenry has been made
possible largely through the use of the Internet

On February 15th, millions of people world wide spoke out for peace. For the
first time we were able to see our numbers and hear our voice - a richly
diverse and inclusive spectrum of humanity united by a common vision of a
peaceful world, and a just future.

Why stop there?

How might this empowered global citizenry mobilize around other critical
issues effecting our future - natural resource depletion; basic human
rights; economic justice? What are the communications strategies needed to
galvanize around specific issues, to mobilize our networks, envision
alternative solutions, and demand change. How might we use our financial
resources, as a networked global citizenry, to bring about system-wide
transformation?

We have the tools, we have the imagination, and we have the need. It's time
to look at how we are using our information technology tools - to bring
together practitioners from across the sectors of new media, online
community, software development, online activism, independent media
production and progressive entrepreneurship to examine critically - and
collaboratively - where we are, and what is possible. This forum is designed
to enable tool makers and tool users to come together for knowledge sharing,
exchange and collaboration.

Join us. Participate in the second international Planetwork Conference:
expand your networks, forge new models, share resources and help implement
the creative solutions we need to build a peaceful and sustainable future.

FEATURING:

* Mobilizing on a Dime: Tools and strategies for mobilizing activist
networks
* Digital Earth: A full day of 3D Geobrowsers!
* Global Youth: Networking the Future
* Online Communities: New Tools and Models
* Restoring Democracy: Cross Platform Media Strategies
* Social Entrepreneurs: Incubating Social Change
* What Works: Non-profit Needs for Tech Tools
* Internet Based Barter
* Blogs Blogs Blogs
* Sustainable Media Networks: Why Not Now?

REGISTER NOW:

On-Line At: http://planetwork.net

LOCATION

San Francisco: Golden Gate Club in the Presidio

COMING FROM OUTSIDE OF THE SF BAY AREA? CHECK JETBLUE FOR LOW AIRFARES!