]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  May 2003

SOCNET May 2003

Re: results of query re: agent-based simulations of/in social networks

"Frans N. Stokman" <[log in to unmask]>

Frans N. Stokman

Tue, 6 May 2003 09:10:22 +0200

text/plain

Some further simulation studies can be found in the first volume on
Evolution of Social Networks, edited by Pat Doreian and myself:

Patrick Doreian and Frans N. Stokman (eds), 1997
Evolution of Social Networks. Amsterdam: Gordon and Breach Publishers
261pp (Partly published as Special double issue of Journal of
Mathematical Sociology, 21, 199 pp.)

See also:

Flache, A., The Double Edge of networks. An Analysis of the Effect of
Informal Networks on Cooperation in Social Dilemmas, University of
Groningen Diss, Dec 19, 1996, 252 pp and several of his articles (partly
together with Mike Macy).

Zeggelink, E., Strangers into Friends. The Evolution of Friendship
Networks Using an Individual Oriented Modeling Approach, University of
Groningen Diss, December 20th, 201 pp and several of her articles.

Stokman, Frans N., and Evelien P.H. Zeggelink, 1996
'Self-organizing Friendship Networks, Wim B.G. Liebrand and David M.
Messick (eds), Frontiers in Social Dilemmas Research, Berlin: Springer,
385-418

Best wishes
Frans Stokman

Corey Phelps schreef:

> On 4/20/03 I posted a query to the list regarding research employing
> agent-based simulations in and of social networks. I would like to thank the
> many individuals who responded. Below is the text of the query and a
> bibliography of the responses. Enjoy.
>
> Original query to the list:
>
> I am looking for articles (published or working) that use multi-agent
> simulations of social network processes. That is, I am looking for articles
> that simulate the evolution of networks using multi-agent simulation
> methodology as well as papers that seek to understanding how the topology of
> network structures influence multiple agents' behaviors. Any and all
> suggestions would be much appreciated. I will post a summary to the list.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Here is a bibliography of the references I received:
>
> K.Auer and T.Norris. "Arrieros ALife"
> http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/4/1/6.html
>
> Bonacich, P. "The Evolution of Exchange Networks: A Simulation Study."
> Journal of Social Structure. 2001.
> http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/project/INSNA/joss/index1.html
>
> Butts, Carter T.  (1998).  ``A Bayesian Model of Panic in Belief.''
> Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory, 4(4), 373-404.
>
> Kathleen M. Carley, forthcoming, “Dynamic Network Analysis” in the
> Summary of the NRC workshop on Social Network Modeling and Analysis, Ron
> Breiger and Kathleen M. Carley (Eds.), National Research Council.
>
> Kathleen Carley, 1991, “A Theory of Group Stability.” American
> Sociological Review , 56(3): 331-354.
>
> Kathleen M. Carley, 1999, “On the Evolution of Social and Organizational
> Networks.” In Steven B. Andrews and David Knoke (Eds.) Vol. 16 special
> issue of Research in the Sociology of Organizations. on “Networks In and
> Around Organizations.” Greenwhich, CN: JAI Press, Inc. Stamford, CT, pp.
> 3-30.
>
> Kathleen M. Carley, 1996, “Communicating New Ideas: The Potential Impact
> of Information and Telecommunication Technology” Technology in Society,
> 18(2): 219-230.
>
> Kathleen M. Carley & David M. Svoboda, 1996, “Modeling Organizational
> Adaptation as a Simulated Annealing Process.” Sociological Methods and
> Research, 25(1): 138-168.
>
> Zhiang Lin and Kathleen M. Carley, forthcoming, Designing Stress
> Resistant Organizations: Computational Theorizing and Crisis
> Applications, Boston, MA: Kluwer.
>
> Kathleen M. Carley, 2002, “Smart Agents and Organizations of the Future”
> The Handbook of New Media. Edited by Leah Lievrouw & Sonia Livingstone,
> Ch. 12 pp. 206-220, Thousand Oaks, CA, Sage.
>
> Contractor, N.S., Whitbred, R. Fonti, F., Hyatt, A. Jones, P., O'Keefe,
> B.(July, 1998). Self-organizing communication networks in organizations.
> Validation of a computational model using exogenous and endogenous
> theoretical mechanisms. Paper presented at the Top Paper Panel,
> Organizational Communication Division, International Communication
> Association, Jerusalem, Israel

> [...]

=====================================
Frans N. Stokman
Professor of Social Science Research Methodology
ICS
University of Groningen
Grote Rozenstraat 31
9712 TG Groningen