GARC-L September 2003

Homecoming

Susan Ann Tipton <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:50:54 -0400

text/plain

For the third consecutive year the Gator Amateur Radio Club (GARC) is
planning on participating in the University of Florida Homecoming parade.
The parade will be televised in addition to having a live audience numbering
in the tens of thousands.  It is a great way to put hams in the eye of the
public.

This is truly a fun event.  Everyone is having a great time.  The energy is
contagious.  Even the float building and tear down parties are fun.  The day
of the parade GARC traditionally has a mini-picnic while they are waiting to
start.  It is a great way to build camaraderie in the amateur community.

In the past members have indicated that they would participate if they did
not have to walk.  We have good news.  This year GARC is hoping to be able
to borrow a flatbed trailer so that selected members will be able to ride in
style or walk along with the majority of the members.  For those who will
not be able to participate the day of the parade there are the float
building parties.

This year the homecoming theme is “Homecoming through the Ages.”  We are
planning on setting up one of our float like an old time ham shack.  We
would like to put a large 1934 at that to signify the year GARC was
established.  At the other end of the float we would like to set up a very
modern ham shack.  That end will have a large 2003.  Between the two we are
planning on stringing large antennas to indicate the two are communicating
as happened in the movie “Frequency.”

We plan on using the club banners to further decorate the float.  We would
like to be able to once again have walkers go into the crowd and involve the
crowd by having third party simplex traffic encouraging the Gators.  Last
year that was very well received.   Any other ideas or decorations will be
happily received.

To decorate the GARC float we are looking for a few items.  Ideally we would
like to borrow these items and return them to their original owners as soon
as possible after the parade.  The list of items that we need include:

Flatbed trailer (5-7 days)
Truck (& possibly a driver) to pull the trailer

1 to 2 Obviously old, beat up desks (they do not need to match)
1 to 4 Obviously old, beat up chairs (they do not need to match)
1 to 2 Metal, old style fans (non-working is OK)
1 to 2 Manual typewriters (non-working is OK)
1 Distressed or at least old in appearance free standing canopy (faded is
great)
several Large, old radios or radio cases with knobs (non-working is OK)
anything that looks like it belongs in a pre-1970 ham shack with the older
being the better

1 to 2 New, modern desks (they do not need to match)
1 to 4 New, modern chairs (they do not need to match)
1 to 2 Laptops (non-working is OK)
1 New in appearance free standing canopy
1 to 3 Small, modern looking radios or radio cases with knobs (non-working
is OK)
anything that looks like it belongs in a post-1980 ham shack with the more
modern being the better

many large pieces of flat cardboard (washing machine box side or larger
size)
2 large speakers
stereo capable of accepting input from tape, CD or an external source that
can drive the speakers

Amateur radio operators to walk beside the float and interact with the crowd
Friends of GARC to walk beside the float and interact with the crowd
Mature hams to ride in the moving hamshacks
Young people to ride in the moving hamshacks (these participants should be
high school or college age in appearance)

Susan Ann Tipton