Re: brokerage roles

Ilan Talmud <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:07:25 +0300

TEXT/PLAIN

An empirical evidence for Dorothea's claim is in Darr and Talmud
(2003), "The Structure of Knowledge and Seller-Buyer Networks in Markets
for Emergent Technologies", Organization Studies 24 (3): 435-453.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, jansen wrote:

> Sinan, Rick and Steve,
> I think some other  important dimensions of context in brokerage and
> innovation is type of knowledge that is to be transfered (explicit -
> implicit/ tacit, degree of embeddedness of some artifact/ dependence on
> environment, private vs. collective good). The more the knowledge
> process is dependent on contexts, hand-on processes, the more an
> "embedded" (in contrast to a "structural hole") broker is needed.
>
> Best
> Dorothea
>
> Sinan Aral schrieb:
>
> > Rick and Steve,
> >
> > It seems to me that the importance of roles in innovation has as much
> > to do with context as it does with structure generally speaking.
> > Perhaps roles in Open Source communities are different than roles in
> > R&D labs or academic environments. In examining roles, it might be
> > worthwhile to incorporate contextual factors. If anyone has ideas on
> > approaches to considering "roles in context" I would be interested in
> > dialoguing.
> >
> > Here are the citations you requested Steve. Rick, if you have not
> > already, you might be interested in the Hargadon and Sutton work - a
> > qualitative look at brokerage in the context of product development
> > innovation.
> >
> > Best
> >
> > sinan
> >
> > Gould, Roger V. and Roberto M. Fernandez. 1989. “Structures of
> > Mediation: A Formal Approach to Brokerage in Transaction Networks.”
> > Sociological Methodology, Vol. 19., pp. 89-126.
> >
> > Fernandez, R. M. Structural bases of leadership in intraorganizational
> > networks. Social Psychology Quarterly, 1991, 54, 36-53.
> >
> > Fernandez, Roberto M. and Roger V. Gould. 1994. “A Dilemma of State
> > Power: Brokerage and Influence in the National Health Policy Domain.”
> > American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 99, No. 6., pp. 1455-1491.
> >
> > Hargadon, A and Sutton, R (1997) Technology Brokering and Innovation
> > in a Product Development Firm, Administrative Science Quarterly, (42),
> > p. 716-749.
> >

> > At 10:34 AM 9/26/03 -0400, Steve Levin wrote:
> >
> >> *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/ *****
> >>
> >> How can I obtain a copy of Fernandez and Gould's original work on
> >> brokerage roles?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Steve Levin

Ilan Talmud, Ph.D.,
Senior Lecturer,
Graduate Program in Applied and Organizational Sociology,
Department of Sociology and Anthropology,
University of Haifa, 31905 Haifa, Israel
Phones: (W)+972-4-8240-992 (direct);
          972-4-8240995 / 972-4-8249506 (secretaries)
 FAX: (W)+ 972-4-8240-819
      (H)+ 972-3-540-3226 (voice)
           972-3-547-5288 (fax)
  Residence: 25 B Sold St., Apt. 4,