]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  September 2003

SOCNET September 2003

Philanthropic Networks - Summary of Responses

Patti Anklam <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:39:22 -0400

text/plain

Hello,

Late in July I queried this list about research using social network
analysis in networks of philanthropic organizations. I received many
generous replies, and very tardy in summarizing the responses for the list.
(Thanks are due to Jonathon Mote for supplying the nudge). I have not yet
started a project, but remain interested in the topic.

Many thanks again to all who sent in references, and notices of interest.
This is a great community.

patti
/
Patti Anklam, Hutchinson Associates
Leveraging Context, Knowledge, and Networks

mailto:[log in to unmask]
25 Westcott Road Harvard MA 01451
Ph: (978)456-4175

***********************************
Many SOCNET-ers recommended that I get in touch with Joseph Galaskiewicz,
Joseph Galaskiewicz
Department of Sociology
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721
520-621-7084
********
Blyden Potts gave me a list of references to Joe's work.
E.C. Hedberg pointed me at his cv:
http://w3fp.arizona.edu/soc/docs/galavita1.PDF
Rochelle Cote searched the Institute for Scientific Information and U of
Saskatchewan  catalogues for lists of Dr. Galaskiewicz's publications and
offered those results.

[References are at the end of this message, along with Dr. Galaskiewicz's
personal  response to me]

***********************************
Allen Whitt, Ph.D.
University of Louisville
           ****************
Reports that he and some colleagues have been doing research for some time
on an  aspect of the issue: the links via boards of director overlaps
between (national and local)  charities and other organizations
(corporations, policy-planning organizations, foundations,  and federal
government advisory groups).  Among other thinngs, we have found that the
more successful charities are also those that tend to be most central in the
overall  director network.  We recently had an article in Social Science
Quarterly, and presented a  paper [in August] at the American Sociological
Association meetings in Atlanta.
************************************
Barry Wellman
           ****************
Said that, "by coincidence, Peter Foley and I have been talking about this
just last week  and will probably launch a research project on it,
principally thru my students as I am on  negative time.  Peter heads Artez
which builds software to support nonprofit events and fundraising.
************************************
Prof. Carlos O. Quandt, Ph.D.
Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Paraná - PUCPR
           ****************
Indicates that his group in Brazil is beginning a research project on
interorganizational
networks involving public, private and nonprofit organizations in innovative
social projects.  and would benefit from the references related to this
question.
*************************************
David Goldsmith, Vice President, Strategic Development
Interactive Applications Group
email [log in to unmask] - www.iapps.com
           ****************
Was referred to me by a member of the list. David's company builds internet
solutions for  foundations and non-profits. He is not aware of any groups
that have taken a disciplined  approach to SNA. He is also a member of a
network of foundation consultants in California  and offered to query his
network to unearth more concrete data.
*************************************
Dolly C. Palacio T.
Investigadora - Docente
Centro de Investigaciones sobre Dinámica Social
Universidad Externado de Colombia
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
           ****************
Provided a reference to a book by Mario Diani and Doug Mc Adam (2003) that
could be
usuful for your quest called 'Social Movements and Networks' Oxford
University Press and also  Diani, M (1995) Green Networks abut the green
movement in Millano (italy).
*************************************
Gwen Moore
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology
University at Albany
           ****************
Indicates that she and several colleagues (including Alan Whitt) have been
studying  connections of nonprofits--especially charities--with corporations
and government in the  U.S. "We have developed a dataset of all of the
trustees of the 50 largest charities, 50  largest foundations, and 12 major
policy groups, as well as directors of the 100 largest  businesses and
members of government advisory boards in 1997-98. We have used  network
analysis (centrality, cliques, blockmodeling) to examine patterns of ties
among  organizations formed by common board members.
        A paper in Social Science Quarterly in Sept. 2002, "Elite Interlocks in
Three  U.S. Sectors: Nonprofit, Corporate and Government," reports our early
analyses. [A  subsequent paper was] presented  at the American Sociological
Association meetings [in  August]. Key questions in this project are: How
well are large charities integrated into a  national elite network of the
for-profit, not-for-profit, and government advisory sectors?  What
distinguishes well-connected charities from those that are more peripheral
in this  network?

Dolly personally has an article in Redes the journal of SNA (2003) in
Spanish  http://www.revista-redes.rediris.es/
*************************************
Marya Doerfl
           ****************
Has published a paper on international organizations among NGOs, media, and
funders in  Croatia:
Taylor, M. & Doerfel, M. L. (2003). Building interorganizational networks
that build nations. Human Communication Research.

*************************************
Steven Garry
           ****************
Informed of the web site for the American Institute of Philanthropy:

http://www.charitywatch.org/

*************************************
Valdis Krebs sent me a link to some work on organizations involved in
economic  development which includes philanthropy, but asked me not to
distribute it.
*************************************
Joe Galaskiewicz's response:

A (relatively) brief of my early work on philanthropy in the Twin
Cities is in a volume edited by Walter Powell and Paul DiMaggio
called The New Institutionalism in Organizational Analysis (1991,
University of Chicago Press).  I have a chapter in that piece.
However, there are no formal network analyses presented.

The high tech paper from my research is in the Administrative
Science Quarterly (ASQ), Vol. 42, pages 445-71,1997.  It's not very
user friendly though.  The most heavily cited work is also in ASQ
(Vol. 34, pages 454-79, 1989).  It's also pretty techy.  Both try to
show how a network approach helps us better understand why
some companies give and others don't, and why some nonprofits
benefit while others don't.  ASQ may have electronic copies of their
papers; I don't know.

Unfortunately, in none of my work do I present nice little pictures
that describe the flow of funds between different players.  That's
what you really need to get that overview that you're looking for.
Also you're looking to see how a practitioner could use network
analysis to help a community benefit from the insights generated.
That really just hasn't been done, as far as I know.  So you are on
the cutting edge, if that's any comfort.
PUBLICATION LISTINGS:

Galaskiewicz, Joseph; Burt, Ronald S.. (1991) Interorganization
contagion in corporate philanthropy (Journal Article in Administrative
Science Quarterly [ASQ] )

Galaskiewicz, Joseph; Wasserman, Stanley. (1989) Mimetic processes
within an interorganizational field: an empirical test (Journal Article
in Administrative Science Quarterly [ASQ] )

Atkinson, Lisa; Galaskiewicz, Joseph. (1988) Stock ownership and company
contributions to charity (Journal Article in Administrative Science
Quarterly [ASQ] )

Galaskiewicz, Joseph. (1985) Social organization of an urban grants
economy: A study of business philanthropy and nonprofit organizations
Orlando: Academic Press. (Book )

Galaskiewicz, Joseph. (1979) Exchange networks and community politics
Beverly Hills, Calif.: Sage Publications. (Book )
Copyright © 2003 Institute for Scientific Information

FN ISI Export Format
VR 1.0
PT Journal
AU Galaskiewicz, J
TI Private funds, public purpose: Philanthropic foundations in
   international perspective.
SO ADMINISTRATIVE SCIENCE QUARTERLY
BP 356
EP 358
PG 3
JI Adm. Sci. Q.
PY 2001
PD JUN
VL 46
IS 2
GA 478ZT
J9 ADMIN SCI QUART
UT ISI:000171380000014
ER

PT Journal
AU Galaskiewicz, J
TI Philanthropic foundations: New scholarship, new possibilities
SO CONTEMPORARY SOCIOLOGY-A JOURNAL OF REVIEWS
BP 185
EP 186
PG 2
JI Contemp. Sociol.-J. Rev.
PY 2001
PD MAR
VL 30
IS 2
GA 419UR
J9 CONTEMP SOCIOL
UT ISI:000167967500058
ER

PT Journal
AU Abzug, R
   Galaskiewicz, J
TI Nonprofit boards: Crucibles of expertise or symbols of local
   identities?
SO NONPROFIT AND VOLUNTARY SECTOR QUARTERLY
BP 51
EP 73
PG 23
JI Nonprofit Volunt. Sect. Q.
PY 2001
PD MAR
VL 30
IS 1
GA 403KG
J9 NONPROFIT VOLUNT SECT Q
UT ISI:000167040600003
ER

PT Journal
AU Rulke, DL
   Galaskiewicz, J
TI Distribution of knowledge, group network structure, and group
   performance
SO MANAGEMENT SCIENCE
BP 612
EP 625
PG 14
JI Manage. Sci.
PY 2000
PD MAY
VL 46
IS 5
GA 323KU
J9 MANAGE SCI
UT ISI:000087565200002
ER

PT Journal
AU Galaskiewicz, J
TI The formation of inter-organizational networks
SO CONTEMPORARY SOCIOLOGY-A JOURNAL OF REVIEWS
BP 55
EP 56
PG 2
JI Contemp. Sociol.-J. Rev.
PY 1999
PD JAN
VL 28
IS 1
GA 163MQ
J9 CONTEMP SOCIOL
UT ISI:000078409800029
ER

PT Journal
AU Galaskiewicz, J
TI Why the wealthy give: The culture of elite philanthropy -
   Ostrower,F
SO SOCIAL FORCES
BP 1470
EP 1473
PG 4
JI Soc. Forces
PY 1997
PD JUN
VL 75
IS 4
GA XJ528
J9 SOC FORCES
UT ISI:A1997XJ52800017
ER

PT Journal
AU GALASKIEWICZ, J
   WASSERMAN, S
TI SOCIAL NETWORK ANALYSIS - CONCEPTS, METHODOLOGY, AND DIRECTIONS
   FOR THE 1990S
SO SOCIOLOGICAL METHODS & RESEARCH
BP 3
EP 22
PG 20
JI Sociol. Methods. Res.
PY 1993
PD AUG
VL 22
IS 1
GA LN226
J9 SOCIOL METHOD RES
UT ISI:A1993LN22600001
ER

PT Journal
AU MIZRUCHI, MS
   GALASKIEWICZ, J
TI NETWORKS OF INTERORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONS
SO SOCIOLOGICAL METHODS & RESEARCH
BP 46
EP 70
PG 25
JI Sociol. Methods. Res.
PY 1993
PD AUG
VL 22
IS 1
GA LN226
J9 SOCIOL METHOD RES
UT ISI:A1993LN22600003
ER

PT Journal
AU GALASKIEWICZ, J
TI ACTS OF COMPASSION - CARING FOR OTHERS AND HELPING OURSELVES -
   WUTHNOW,R
SO AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SOCIOLOGY
BP 190
EP 193
PG 4
JI Am. J. Sociol.
PY 1992
PD JUL
VL 98
IS 1
GA JF332
J9 AMER J SOCIOL
UT ISI:A1992JF33200019
ER

PT Journal
AU GALASKIEWICZ, J
   BURT, RS
TI INTERORGANIZATION CONTAGION IN CORPORATE PHILANTHROPY
SO ADMINISTRATIVE SCIENCE QUARTERLY
BP 88
EP 105
PG 18