RECMGMT-L September 2003

RAIN 0903 Weekly Update: Technology

Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:34:57 EDT

text/plain

Business Week 8/15/03
NEWS ANALYSIS
Alex Salkever
Where's Your Backup System?
On Aug. 14, companies that thought they were safe
found out otherwise because their backups weren't
far away enough
When the lights went out in Gotham on Thursday afternoon,
Jim Simmons got busy. He's the CEO for availability
systems at SunGard Data Systems (SDS ). Headquartered in
Wayne, Pa., SunGard helps companies survive disasters.
That means providing services ranging from extensive
business-continuity planning to specialized data backup and
recovery services to wheeling in a mobile command center
loaded with tech gear that can jump-start a corporate
network and keep operational interruptions to a minimum.
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2003/tc20030815_1292_tc024.h
tm (

Sydney Morning Herald
US researcher
advises against use
of Word for public
documents
By Online Staff
August 19, 2003
An American researcher has
recommended that Microsoft Word
should not be used for any data that
one might not want eventually made
public.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/19/1061261130790.html (

Akron Beacon Journal
Posted on Wed, Aug. 20, 2003
Diebold critic faces scrutiny
Professor who panned touch-screen voting system had tie to
election software firm
By Erika D. Smith
Beacon Journal staff writer
A Johns Hopkins University researcher who criticized Diebold
Inc.'s electronic voting system revealed this week that he
worked for an industry rival until a few days ago.
Associate Professor Avi Rubin said he was on an inactive
technical advisory board for VoteHere Inc. He resigned last
weekend and returned stock options that were unexercised
but partially vested. The Bellevue, Wash., election software
company hired him two years ago.
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/business/6574034.htm (

Newtown Advance
Data storage the old way
By: JAMES SMART , OF ALL THINGS 08/21/2003
Futurists, techie geeks, computer makers and other self-appointed
experts were predicting a paperless society as early as 1970, give or
take a prediction.
Electronic media were going to replace files, documents, business records,
bank checks, newspapers, mail, and just about every kind of paper but the kind
that comes in rolls and you're not supposed to squeeze.
It has happened, to some extent. This column was written, edited and produced
on
computers. But in the end, it was printed on old fashioned paper.
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1686&dept_id=41281&newsid=10045247&PAG=
461&rfi=9 (

Electronic voting raises computer fraud
concern
By Rebeca Rodriguez
San Antonio Express-News
Web Posted : 08/24/2003 12:00 AM
With Bexar County's first fully electronic election less than three
weeks away, some are raising red flags about what they see as a
vulnerable paperless ballot process.
"There's something about this technology that obscures your ability to
ever really know the outcome of an election, because there's no
paper trail," said Alyssa Burgin, a member of Citizens for Ethical
Government.
http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=180&xlc=1044468 (

Ecommerce
August 25, 2003
GAO: Archives' Proposed System Lacks Key Elements
By Roy Mark
The National Archives and Records Administration's (NARA) proposed Electronic
Records Archive (ERA) project is missing key elements of recognized industry
standards, according a new report by the General Accounting Office (GAO).
Earlier this month, the House Appropriations Committee approved a $22 million
budget increase to NARA for the project.
Charged with preserving government records in perpetuity, NARA says electronic
records "pose the biggest challenge ever" due to the rate of technological
obsolescence combined with the expanding number of diverse electronic records
created on different systems within the government.
http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/3067991 (

INQ7.NET
Transaction laws driving
demand for data storage
By Erwin Lemuel G. Oliva
INQ7.net
THE PRESSURE to comply with recently enacted laws
and regulations in South Asian countries is driving
companies and governments to invest in storage,
executives said recently.
The Philippines' Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2001,
for one, requires records of transactions of various
covered institutions in government and private sector to
be stored for five years from date of transaction, said
Jon Murray, program manager for storage firm EMC
South Asia in a local briefing.
http://www.inq7.net/inf/2003/aug/27/inf_1-1.htm (

Transform 9/2003
Take Control of Confidential Content
by Penny Lunt
l SIDEBAR: Build-It-Yourself DRM: A Case Study
In April, Madonna lashed back at peer-to-peer network users who were
downloading free versions of songs from her CD by loading P2P networks with dummy MP3
files. Instead of her songs, would-be pirates received an unladylike recorded
warning from the pop diva. Then in June, Senator Orrin Hatch suggested that
law enforcers be allowed to destroy the home computers of P2P network users to
prevent copyright infringements.
http://www.transformmag.com/db_area/archs/2003/09/tfm0309f1_1.shtml (

Byte and Switch 8/26/03
Iron Mountain Digs Through Email
BOSTON -- Iron Mountain Incorporated (NYSE: IRM - News), the leader in
outsourced records and information management services, today announced a new Data
Restoration and Electronic Discovery Support service designed to help
businesses respond swiftly and cost-effectively to the increasing demands for
restoration of electronic data during litigation discovery.
http://www.byteandswitch.com/document.asp?doc_id=39191 (

The Magic Number
Every business has a magic number. By employing his, our columnist didn't
overstaff this year.
From: Inc. Magazine, September 2003 | Page 43 By: Norm Brodsky
Illustrations by: John Ritter
This spring, my records-storage business was all geared up for a big growth
spurt
when I received the two-page report I get on each of my businesses every
Monday morning. Among other things, the report tells me how many new boxes
we put away each week. For months, the number had been increasing steadily as
our Manhattan-based customers -- mainly law firms, accounting firms, and
hospitals -- struggled to get their records off-site in the wake of 9/11. In
one year we grew 55%. But as I looked at the report that morning, I was
shocked to see
that the prior week we'd put away almost 70% fewer new boxes than the week
before.
http://www.inc.com/magazine/20030901/nbrodsky.html (

Philadelphia Inquirer 8/27/03
Consumer Watch | Be wary as oldfashioned
check processing dies out
By Jeff Gelles
Inquirer Columnist
Alert consumers may have noticed something odd on their
bank statements recently: Some checks written the oldfashioned
way are appearing as something else entirely - as
electronic funds transfers.
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/business/personal_finance/6625453.htm (

Wired
No Consensus on Voting Machines
By Joanna Glasner | Also by this reporter
02:00 AM Aug. 27, 2003 PT
As California officials consider new security requirements for computerized
voting
machines, state residents remain conflicted over the future role of
old-fashioned paper ballots.
Around 6,000 people weighed in by e-mail, post and fax last month in response
to a
public inquiry from Secretary of State Kevin Shelley on the pros and cons of
requiring touch-screen voting machines to produce paper printouts.
http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,60195,00.html (

Sydney Morning Herald 8/28/03
Google rival in the
picture
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/27/1061663839576.html (

Upgrade and Archive: The Ongoing Threat of
Data Extinction
By Brian R. Hook
www.TechNewsWorld.com,
Part of the ECT News Network
August 28, 2003
"Those pursuing strategies for archiving digital documents find
themselves in a somewhat contradictory situation," Andrew
Lawrence, of Eastman Kodak's commercial imaging group, told
TechNewsWorld. "We want the dynamism of digital processing and
manipulation, but we also want the trustworthiness of analog
records."
Keeping paper documents intact for years and years has become a matter
of routine for historians and archivists trying to keep a record of history.
But saving digital information is turning out to breed its own set of unique
challenges.
http://www.ecommercetimes.com/perl/story/31436.html (

The Morning Sun 9/1/03
How to store notes an important
decision
By Joan House
Genealogy Forum
Every now and then we get so much of
notes and even narratives collected and
composed that we wonder how we
should put it into more permanent form.
There are a number of ways; it can be
neatly handwritten or typed and put into a
loose-leaf notebook or printed on
computer pages for the notebook.
http://morningsun.net/stories/083103/loc_20030831021.shtml (

The Citizens Voice
Federal court accepting electronic filings from
attorneys
By Thomas K. Staff , Times-Shamrock News Writer 09/02/2003
The doors may be locked and the lights turned off at the William J.
Nealon Federal Building, but lawyers still file documents and beat
deadlines at the clerk of courts office.
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10097318&BRD=2259&PAG=461&dept_id=45
5154&rfi=6 (

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Richmond, Va