Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Microsoft's 'Self destructing e-mail'
From: George Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:29:30 -0500

I find all this "the sky is falling" talk really interesting.  As usual RM
folks are afraid to trust users to do the right thing (with our guidance, of
course.)  When was the last time any of you checked out a commercial RMA
that lets users file their electronic documents into a repository?  By
selecting a file tag the user sets the retention period.  What is the
difference between this an Microsoft's new product?  I think MS has given
our community a great tool to clean up all the worthless emails clogging our
systems and to retain only the good stuff.  All we have to do is train users
in how to use it properly before the IT folks do.

George D. Darnell, CRM
Records Engineering, LLC

>From: Gerry Clifford <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Microsoft's 'Self destructing e-mail'
>Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:46:59 EDT
>To expand on Bob's thread, which I totally agree with by the way.  It is up
>to us (R/M's) to educate management that it is a very, and I mean a very
>idea to incorporate the automatic deletion of e-mails due to the
>that may befall the organization due to poor records management.
>By now, all vendors including Microsoft, know or should know that setting
>automatic deletion field is a stupid idea, and they are playing with
>corporation's livelihood.  All this is, is a sham for the almighty dollar,
>company's are playing Russian roulette if they buy into this gimmick.
>Gerry Clifford,
>Clifford & Associates
>List archives at

See when your friends are online with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now

List archives at