Re: Steve Berkowitz has passed away

"Wolfe, Alvin" <[log in to unmask]>

Wolfe, Alvin

Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:49:45 -0400

text/plain

Thanks to Fitz and Barry for bringing this sad news of the death of an
outstanding member of our SOCNET family.  Barry's words brought so many
memories to me, too.  Steve Berkowitz was a consistent contributor to the
Sunbelt Social Network Conference from its beginnings. And his presence was
always strong. We should, indeed, do something to mark his passing.  --Alvin
Wolfe

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Wellman [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 8:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Steve Berkowitz has passed away

Dear Social Networkers,

Our former colleague, Steve Berkowitz, has died, this past Wednesday night
or Thursday morning. The immediate cause of death was a heart attack, while
Steve was at a hospital Intensive Care Unit having something attended to.
Just before he died, he reportedly called his wife Terry to come pick him up
because he was feeling better. So, Steve does not appear to have suffered
long at the end.

Steve had had heart attacks before, and he had very serious diabetes. For
those who remember his big booming voice, it was difficult to recognize his
phone calls in the past while. He had also lost a great deal of weight.

But that is now, and not the Steve that most of us remember. The images I
have in my mind are of Steve consuming a dozen bagels one breakfast at my
house, of copious amounts of Coke downed while we eated (in pre-diabetic
days), of Steve propounding some fascinating idea around the lunch table and
holding us all enthralled for hours, and of Terry's sculpture of a
Buddha-like sitting Steve, entitled, "Minor Living God."  My last vision is
of Steve arriving at the Sitges Sunbelt in a trekker costume -- floppy hat,
khaki vest, shorts and walking stick -- apparently having walked from South
Africa where he was a visiting professor.

Steve was a complex guy who never took the easy way. There was always
something going on in his life. He was a brilliant co-editor on our _Social
Structures: A Network Approach_, and I still send folks to read his _An
Introduction to Structural Analysis_. To the end, Steve was working on a
revised edition of _Social Structures_ (along with Doug White). I look
forward to seeing Cambridge publish it, both for its usefulness and as a
testament to Steve.

Almost every day since Steve left Toronto for Vermont, I have found myself
missing his energy and his insights.  We have lost one of the original
thinkers in sociology.

Steve loomed large to all who know him. The world is an emptier place today.
I am sure tht as long as social networkers sit around campfires, Steve
Berkowitz stories will be told.

The message below from Steve's former student, Fitz, provides more
information.

Bev and my hearts go out to Terry, and to his kids, students and colleagues.

 Barry

                 To live is to network; to network is to live.