Skip repetitive navigational links

Retention

Zola Gordy <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:36:59 -0600

text/plain

I cut and pasted information regarding retention last September.  Here's what the listserve offered last fall:

Retention - Listserve

Barbara Cress completed a dissertation at Northern Arizona University entitled "Persistence of Under-prepared Community College Students Related to Learning Assistance Center Use." May 2003.  The findings are as follows:

Summary

The results of the statistical analyses presented can be summarized as follows:

       In general those students who utilized LAC services during their initial developmental courses generally demonstrated greater success in English and math courses than their peers who did not frequent the LAC.

       The evidence suggested low but in most cases highly significant positive correlations between LAC use in developmental English and math courses and successful completion of initial and subsequent courses.

       The findings indicated that under-prepared math students who used the LAC persisted at higher rates to complete the final college-level course than their peers without LAC use.  (Although persistence rates were higher for under-prepared English students with LAC use than for those without LAC use, the analysis results did not confirm that the differences were significant.)

       Completion rates for final college-level courses were quite low for under-prepared students in general.  However, successful completion rates for students with LAC use were generally higher compared to those without LAC use.

       Under-prepared students with LAC use enrolled in the final college-level courses demonstrated completion rates comparable to their college-ready counterparts.

From:
Sarah Jasper Noreen
Assistant Director of LES
Coconino Community College
Flagstaff AZ 86001

We have established Learning Communities for our developmental students,
and the informal results indicate that LCs have positively impacted their
attendance as well as retention.  We offer reading, writing, math, study
skills, and a curriculum level class (health, computer skills, humanities)
to help them apply the skills they are learning.  Our first semester (fall
2002), we lost three for outside reasons (illness, financial aid), but 21
of the 24 stayed with us.  Twenty returned the next semester; one moved out
of town.  Many (I don't have specific numbers yet) attended the summer
session and have returned this fall.  We have been pleased with the results
of subsequent LCs as well.  The group support helps.

We offered two Learning Communities this past summer for Trade Act
students.  All but two have returned.  Of course, they are more motivated
because they are paid to come, but all of them questioned so far have said
the summer session (similar to a bridge program) helped alleviate their
anxiety as well as prepare them for curriculum courses.

Laura Powell
Danville Community College

>>> James Valkenburg <[log in to unmask]> 09/23/03 10:44AM >>>
Kathleen,

Ferris State University developed a program entitled Structured Learning
Assistance (SLA).  Directed by John Kowalczyk, it provides a more
structured environment for at-risk students; that is, students with a
course GPA of B- or below are required to attend study sessions.  Delta
adopted and modified this program to fit with only developmental level
courses.  Since the time of implementation, we have seen success rates
over 80% in developmental level math courses and 75% in developmental
level English courses.

If you have other questions, I'm pretty sure John will assist you, as
will I.

Jim

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/23/03 02:36PM >>>
Like Roberta, I'm thinking of looking at what is going on with your
students beyond the services.  Retention is NEVER that simple!  There is
no one magic bullet....its tons of stuff from different aspects of the
institution.

First, I wonder what you're assessing with regard to these programs,
and are you able to show the impact of the programs on retention (e.g.
we found that students that used tutoring were more likely to re-enroll
than students who did not).

Next, I'm wondering what your administration feels is adequate
retention....do you have a goal for this?  Do they have any idea of what
it should be?  How much has this been analyzed.  "Not high enough" isn't
a good enough goal without some knowledge of what you are dealing with.

For example, in our special admission program, which admits 500
students each year, our grad rate for decades has hovered at about 30%.
This is not great, but considering the population we serve, it actually
is pretty good, particularly since only about a third of our students
leave for academic reasons.

Since another third leave the university in good standing, that is a
number that is not necessarily affected by our services.  In our case,
further analysis determined that students left the here to go to a
school closer to home (4-year or community college) because it was
cheaper....well, just how do any of your services affect that?  They
don't!  It's important stuff to know, to get the heat off of your
department.

A book to look into would be "Degree Attainment Rates at American
Colleges and Universities" by Alexander Astin and Leticia Oseguera,
2002.  In this book, Astin provides prediction formulas on how to
determine grad rates (nationally normed)  for your particular
population, based on ACT/SAT, average high school grades, race and
gender.

When we used Astin's computation on the special admit population, we
found that our grad rates were at about the rate that his prediction
formulas came to.  This has calmed down (and bewildered) all kinds of
people at this institution.

Now that our grad rates are starting to climb towards 40%, we can
finally show that we aren't just attempting to bring them up to where
they should be, we are actually doing better than was statistically
predicted based on national norms.

And before anyone asks, here is how to get Astin's book:
Copies can be purchased from the
Higher Education Research Institute,
UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies,
3005 Moor Hall/Mailbox 951521,
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1521

Please remit $15 plus $4.79 (+ $.40 per additional book) for shipping.

Telephone inquires: 310-825-1925

Good luck!

Seven Principles for Good Practice in Undergraduate Education

Winona State University's The Seven Principles Resource Center has a faculty inventory based on the "Seven Principles for Good Practice in Undergraduate Education," (Chickering and Gamson, 1987).  The categories break down into:

1. Good practice encourages student-faculty contact.
2. Good practice encourages cooperation among students.
3. Good practice encourages active learning.
4. Good practice gives prompt feedback.
5. Good practice emphasizes time on task.
6. Good practice communicates high expectations.
7. Good practice respects diverse talents and ways of learning.

The inventory is designed to help faculty members, departments, colleges, and universities examine individual behaviors and institutional practices for their consistency with these 7 principles of good practice.  They are not neutral...they express the point of view of the Principles.  They are useful only to the extent that responses are honest reports of individual behaviors and the institutional environment.

For information or to place orders, you can contact them at (507) 457-5020.
Good luck! :)

Danielle M. Petersen
Director, Academic Support Center
College of the Redwoods