FLORIDABIRDS-L December 2003

Peace River CBC, or Rain Day!

Jeff Bouton <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:53:31 -0500

text/plain

All,

A bit late, but here is a review of my day last Sunday. I was slated to cover the Peace River and upper Charlotte Harbor by boat, which sounded like a great opportunity. Knowing it would be big fun, I contacted some of my friends from south of here to join me. So at 6:30 AM I met Charlie Ewell and Arlyne Salcedo from Cape Coral and Terry Doyle from Naples at Laishley Park with boat in tow. Like me, they were gluttons for punishment and made the trek despite the thunder showers, the forecasted 4-7 foot seas, small craft advisories, and possible tornados and water spouts. Given the lightning though, we opted to not launch the boat at this point.

We began by dutifully scoping the wires here and counting our roosting DC Cormorants.... 960 later we sauntered back to our vehicles already wet and cold. Given the report of the Common Merganser, we decided to make a quick trip over to the Aqui Esta pond to see if we could see this mega rare FL bird as we weren't going to be able to launch any time soon. No sign of any Merganser species other than Hooded at this time of the morning, but undoubtedly many birds had already left. From past experience I know they all would have been gone by this hour if not for the overcast skies.

By the time we made it back to Laishley it was after 8:00 AM and the rain had stopped. Terry and I decided we were going to attempt a launch, but Charlie and Arlyne had more sense. They listened to the forecast on the way back and heard that the conditions were going to get increasingly worse as the day progressed, more wind, more intense storms, the works. They wished us good luck and opted for warmer drier locales. By 8:30 Terry and I had the boat loaded with gear and on the water and were chugging up stream..... 8 Ring-billed Gulls, 82 Lesser Scaup, 12 Hooded Mergansers.... It began raining but Terry and I were not concerned. Both of us had moved down from Alaska and we had birded the Aleutian Islands and the Bering Sea, a light rain and 20 MPH wind is a NICE day on Attu Island, right!?!.... This wouldn't bother us, but lightning on the other hand would. We'd maybe gone a half mile when the first crack flashed close by. The boat turned quickly and we were on plane heading back, the rain pelting us in the face as we went.

As my area was only the water, any other birding we would do would be "poaching" in other people's areas, but there was little else we could do. So I assigned myself to just peering out over the River and Harbor where I could and would note interesting birds along the way (I would only report these if they were missed by the folks counting that block). By the time I dropped off my boat at home, got it unloaded, and donned some new clothes, it was already after 10:30 and the heaviest downpour of the day was just finishing. While home, we had a Yellow-throated Warbler in the yard, but my resident Ovenbird wouldn't co-operate. I showed Terry that my nesting Screech Owl had mysteriously transformed into an odd floating pink nose that could only belong to a Virginia Oppossum. (A few taps on the tree was all it took and the pink appendage appeared like a bobbing cork inside the entrance hole of my "Owl" box.)

On the way out, we'd peer off the local fishing pier, and behind what used to be the old dilapidated hotel (now park), and finally along the little strip of sand behind the mini golf place at the Peace River bridge. Here we would find the count's only Turnstone, the only Dowitchers, the only Red Knot, the only Semipalmated Plover, and the only Least Sandpipiers for the count, along with more numerous Dunlin, Sanderling, Willets, and Spotted Sandpipers. (Let's hear it for poaching!....) I didn't feel too guilty counting these though as I had planned on nosing into these areas with the boat anyway. Further offshore, everywhere we looked were numerous rafts of Lesser Scaup bobbing on the water for as far as the scope could see.

We worked our way up the river bank and near 11:00 AM (since I was sooo close) I decided to do my first major poaching. There was no water anywhere near here, but for the past few months monitoring FL Scrub Jays I'd discovered a large population of White-winged Doves in a very localized area in Deep Creek (largest flock I'd observed was 37 birds!). I could see that the Mourning & Eurasian Collared Doves were perching up trying to dry, so I headed North away from the river up to Deep Creek Blvd. and east to nearly the eastern edge. The White-wingeds are very reliable (again if you are seeing doves) mixed with the other dove species on the wires here in an isolated area around Posadas Circle, Tandill Street and the other two cul de sacs on the north side of Deep Creek Blvd here. Terry and I were able to conservatively count 25 birds. I knew these would be a new species for the count that have colonized in Charlotte County and it will be interesting to monitor their expansion, but as I was clearly poaching I would wait to see if they were picked up before reporting these. We had all 5 common dove species here: Common Ground Dove, Mourning, White-winged, Eurasian Collared Dove, and Rock Pigeon (formerly Rock Dove). Also while "poaching" we picked up a few other goodies like Black and White Warbler, & Blue-headed Vireo (formerly Solitary Vireo) although these were more legit as we were standing with our heels on the river here.

As we headed back south the weather got increasingly better, and by noon we thought we could even see patches of blue. We both thought we should get the boat, but were guarded knowing it would take over an hour to return home, reload the boat with gear, get it back to the launch and on to the water. Neither one of us wanted to take that time and get burned again, so we waited a bit longer. Once we were sure we were in the clear, we made our move and were chugging out of Laishley a bit after 2:00 PM. It was amazingly nice here. The sun actually broke through off and on and despite the wind the section of river NE of the 41 bridge was amazingly flat and calm!

The first thing that became apparent was that we had grossly underestimated the number of Scaup from shore. We were idling through some of the same areas we'd just scoped and many more birds were lifting off in front of us than we'd tallied. The other discovery was that despite it being dead low tide, the on shore winds and rain run off were really keeping the water levels high so many would be flats were not exposed. So much for shorebirds. We'd make do though and before long one discovery led to another as we were rewarded for our day long vigilance under less than desirable conditions. We could see a decent flock of gulls and terns working the waters near the main channel just below the I-75 bridge so we moved closer for a better look. PAYDIRT!.... One small gull showed a small rounded head and very defined head spot, and thin tern like bill..... we drifted closer and the bird lifted its wing showing the white leading edge and dark carpal bar of a first winter Bonaparte's Gull! A bird that had only been recorded one time in the history of the count (one bird back in 1991).

Then under the bridge and continuing upstream we struck gold again almost immediately, bobbing on the surface of the water over the shoal just south of Coon Key were 2 female Bufflehead. Another very unusual bird, they had been recorded only 2 other times in the history of the count: 1 bird in 1991, and 2 in 1994. I'd seen this species once in Charlotte County in my 5 years here in the small locks/pools near Ponce De Leon prior to the addition of the fountains 2 years ago. A nice treat!

We continued further north and reached Long Island ( for those following along on a map, this is the largest island just North of the I-75 bridge that looks like a large arrowhead pointing north not the large land mass south of Conecticut! ;)). As we chugged into the sheltered harbor on the south side of the island I queried, "Those can't all be birds, can they?!?....." They were, and on separate guesstimates Terry and I came out within one hundred birds of each other. Here we had nearly 6,000 Lesser Scaup all rafted together in the northern end of this harbor. As we marveled at them and picked up a few other goodies like 2 Roseate Spoonbills the whole flock lifted off the water. It took them about 30 seconds to all get aloft, they just kept rising. Then they spiraled around us for a bit, and the rush of wings echoing around the boat could only be described as intense! In my 20 years of birding I've seen groups of wintering waterfowl this large but always from shore and in the distance. This was my first time ever being IN one. It was awesome and I highly recommend it to all! We watched as the massive string of birds undulated away looking much like one of the massive flocks of Tree Swallows forming an enormous amorphous blob. Ever changing as it moved away, and finally disappearing into the harbor to the SW.

After this we slid over to the west arm of the harbor. We'd heard a Clapper Rail or two call here on the way in and wanted to see if there were more. I nosed the boat right against the grasses and Terry played a rail tape. Within a few moments there were 7 Clapper Rails calling all around us (seen only 3 other times, one each in '87, '93, and '01). Fun stuff, everytime the close rail would call the others all around us would answer. Terry then decided to go ashore and see if he cold find a Sharp-tailed Sparrow or some other oddity, I stood high on my casting platform and watched for any sign of birds flushing ahead of him calling out assurances like, " Watch out for gators!" and "Let me know if you find a Cottonmouth!" ;)

Terry unfortunately, only saw Spartina (once very close when he took one in the eye)! I wished I could have helped but a good captain always stays with the ship. Instead I began pishing and whistled my best Screech Owl impression. After a bit, 2 Marsh Wrens popped up to say "HI" (my first in Charlotte County and the second for the count: one seen in 1990). What could be better, good friends, good times, and good birds! Our day had started miserably but ended a success. We headed back in after 5:00 PM and still had enough time to hit the Aqui Esta pond once again. Here we found birders from across the state: Ft. Myers, Clearwater, and Miami respectively all glassing the pond but there was still no Common Merganser to be found. Only one female Red-breasted Merganser here. Oh well, c'est la vie.... You can't see them all. We were not disappointed, and I thank Terry for making the trip and being foolish enough to stay with me throughout!

Good birding and Happy Holidays all. I'll see you out there!

Best,

Jeff Bouton
Port Charlotte, FL

PS - to Paul Bithorn, it was good to see you, but what was meant by that, 'Wow, that's a REALLY nice boat, that's  not what I expected at all from you' crack?........ ;)