]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Home

FLORIDABIRDS-L  December 2003

FLORIDABIRDS-L December 2003

Collier, Hendy & Palm Beach County Birding 12/23/03

vlucas <[log in to unmask]>

vlucas <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:38:20 -0500

text/plain

All:

Yesterday, Vince McGrath, Ken Klotz, Walt Winton and I birded areas in
parts of Collier, Hendry & Palm Beach Counties. Our main target areas
were the Stormwater Treatment Area #5 and Cannon Hammock County Park in
Hendry County and the areas south of South Bay in Palm Beach County along
the Miami & Bolles Canals. We saw a total of 88 species on the day and
could have broken 100 but we ran out of daylight. . . .

After leaving Naples at about 6:30AM, we headed east on C.R. 846
(Immokalee Rd.). Note: this road is undergoing a six-laning process and
there is much destruction of native upland Slash Pine/Saw Palmetto
habitat along this route, putting extreme pressure on nearby Corkscrew
Swamp Sanctuary. Added to this, the future nearby "town" and college --
both called Ave Maria, which are the brainchildren of Domino's Pizza
founder Thomas S. Monaghan, are also set to begin construction soon.

After passing through the town of Immokalee, we immediately started
seeing nice groups of waders and shorebirds along temporary flooded
fields or wetlands along C.R. 846. Among the birds seen were several
Roseatte Spoonbills; many breeding-ready Wood Storks (sporting pink lower
legs below the knee joints which are usually a dark gray in
non-breeders); small flocks of American White Pelicans; Lesser & Greater
Yellowlegs; Least Sandpipers; Wilson's Snipe and most waders. Several
perched Crested Caracaras were nice additions to the expanding day list
as were a mixed flock of mostly Pine and Palm Warblers with a few
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers seen in the conifers along this road. Many
American Tree Swallows plied the ranchland and a group of some 15 or so
Northern Rough-winged Swallows queued-up on the overhead powerlines along
the road.

Once in Hendry County, we continued east out C.R. 846 to C.R. 833 just
north of the Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation. Here we took C.R.
835 (wrongly labeled as C.R. 846 in the DeLorme Gazetteer on page 113,
Grid A-1) north to Blumberg Rd. (not marked in DeLorme) and turned south
on this road for approximately 11 miles to Stormwater Treatment Area #5.
I apologize if these directions are confusing, but this area is not
clearly or correctly marked in the DeLorme Gazetteer. For a downloadable
map and brochure in PDF format per a TAS post by Bill Pranty, (which also
has directions to Stormwater Treatment Area #5), go to:

http://tropicalaudubon.org/tasboard/messages/4023.html

Click on the hyperlink at the bottom of this message for the brochure/map.

Stormwater Treatment Area #5 is an amazing man-made set of four
impoundments/cells and harbors a dizzying number of ducks, gallinaceous
birds, shorebirds etc. It is also a hunting area. Consequently, you do
not want to go to this place on week-ends or other hunting days when
there are hunters present. The main gate, which is closed on non-hunting
days, affords foot-traffic only on these days. These are huge
impoundments. Birders are permitted on non-hunting days per a couple of
SFWMD employees whom we talked to, but walking-in is the only way onto
the dikes that surround the cells. A spotting scope is absolutely
essential.

As mentioned, waterfowl are plentiful. Mostly, there are thousands
(literally) of American Coots, Common Moorhens, with much lesser numbers
of Purple Gallinules. Ducks and shorebirds are also numerous. All birds
are understanably skittish. Most ducks are Blue-winged and Green-winged
Teal with added Northern Shovelers (few), Lesser Scaup (few), Hooded
Mergansers (few) and Mottled & Ring-necked Ducks thrown in. The nicest
surprise were a hoped-for flock of some 37 Fulvous Whistling Ducks which
were scared-up by a couple in an airboat. These ducks flew around one of
the cells after having been disturbed and landed within scope-view
afterwards. Nice!

Beside the ducks, we saw several Stilt Sandpipers, a few Long-billed
Dowitchers (based on call) and many Lesser & Greater Yellowlegs, Least
Sandpipers and Killdeer. A pleasant surprise were a half-dozen or so
Purple Swamphens which appear to be breeding here(?). They dwarfed their
somewhat look-alike cousins, the Purple Gallinules.

I forgot to mention that on the way into Stormwater Treatment Area #5, we
saw an adult Bald Eagle perched on a telephone pole on Blumberg Rd. On
the way out, I spotted a Peregrine Falcon riding a thermal along with
many Black & Turkey Vultures. Several Red-tailed Hawks were also nice
raptors to see on the day.

Leaving STA #5, we backtracked down C.R. 835 to find Cannon Hammock
[Hendry] County Park. Directions from Clewiston (much easier): Just after
the Palm Beach/Hendry County line east of Clewiston, take C.R. 835 south
for approximately 17.5 miles. The small sign for Cannon Hammock Park will
be on your right. Watch for it! Note: there is no sign at all if you are
coming from the opposite direction as we did. We missed the park
initially and had to backtrack. Anyway, I was first made aware of this
beautiful out-of-the-way "oasis" (in a sea of sugarcane) by noted
butterfly enthusiasts Linda & Buck Cooper who have found some amazing
leps here. You can read about their finds in this article:

http://members.aol.com/kq4ym/butterfly.html

We didn't see many birds in the short time we were at the park, but this
beautiful park has much potential for birds during spring and fall
migration I would think. We did see a few nice leps including several
unexpected Julia (Dryas Iulia), Malachite (Siproeta stelenes), Red-banded
Hairstreak (Calycopis cecrops), Barred Yellow (Eurema daira) and Zebra
(Heliconius chartonius) to name a few.

From Cannon Hammock, we traveled to Clewiston where we had a nice lunch
(good food but lousy service) in the Everglades Lounge at the famous
Clewiston Inn. This inn, once owned by the United States Sugar
Corporation as a place to wine-and-dine and host company executives and
visiting dignitaries, was built in 1938 and is now a B&B. It is a
National Historic Site. If you haven't been there, you owe it to yourself
to go. It is "Old Florida" -- a nearly extinct species. Check out the
incredible "forked" or "branched" Queen Palm on the grounds (VERY unusual
for palms) as well as the main dining room. However, make sure you get
there at lunchtime to eat in the lounge where there are some very nice
murals of native Florida fauna (mostly birds) gracing the walls. These
murals were painted by J. Clinton Shepherd in the 1940s I believe. They
are valued at nearly one-half million dollars. To see some of these
murals, go to:

http://www.clewistoninn.com/

Then click on "Lounge" on the left-side of the page and follow the links.

Our next stop was to check on the Common Mynas at the McDonalds in
Clewiston. We saw two birds but I'm sure there were more. An added
surprise was seeing a yellow-throated Warbler in a small oak in the
parking lot. After leaving Clewiston, we stopped along busy S.R. 80
across from John Stretch Park where we witnessed about 70 or so mostly
juvenile Caspian Terns sitting in a freshly-plowed field. Their
snowy-white bodies contrasted nicely with the freshly-turned loam. Nice!
I've never seen this many CATEs at one time!

We checked the Belle Glade Marina for the male Vermilion Flycatcher that
had graced this location for the last two winters. He was a no-show.
However, we did find several Indigo Buntings and a Swamp Sparrow in the
nearby reeds around the marina as well as four Ruddy Ducks on the lake
near the community center. Several Purple Gallinules were observed in the
dense vegetation along the canal near the marina but the hoped-for
Limpkin(s) were not there mainly due to the fact that much of this once
lush "island" of vegetation had been eradicated. It never ceases to amaze
me how intolerant landowners are of vegetation of ANY type around small
bodies of water in Florida!

We then headed south and west along the Bolles Canal (C.R. 827 of of U.S.
27) where we struck-out finding the hoped-for family of Smooth-billed
Anis and Barn Owls that usually can be seen somewhere along this road.
The lack of leaf-cover on the Carolina Willows and other trees might have
played a role in their absence.

However, the most disturbing event was not finding ANY Barn Owls at their
usual roosting site in the champion Red Cedars along the Miami Canal. Nor
were there any Black-crowned Night Herons present. I say "disturbing"
because we found an inordinate number of spent shotgun shells on the
upper canal road that passes directly in front of this roosting site. I
want to remain hopeful but this is the second time that I have been to
this location in recent times and have not seen one Barn Owl. The spent
shotgun shells have me very upset. . . .

As dusk approached, we continued south along the Miami Canal paralleling
both the Holey Land and Rotenberger Wildlife Management Areas. We added
Sharp-shinned Hawk and a nice group of Black-crowned Night Herons to our
day list. Our goal was to make it to Government Rd. in time to search for
the Vermilion Flycatcher, Scissor-tailed Flycatchers or Western Kingbirds
that have been seen along this road in years past. We had no success
perhaps due to the waning daylight.

I want to mention that almost everywhere we went we saw numerous Northern
Harriers including many males. I have never seen so many in one day!
Their beauty is only surpassed by the numerous Eastern Meadowlarks that
serenaded us with their presence throughout the trip.

Good birding and Happy Holidays to all!

Vince Lucas
Naples