2005 Sci & Eng Institutes Program

Gary Hartge <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:39:10 -0500

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL.
PLEASE CONTACT THE INDIVIDUAL(S) MENTIONED IN THE MESSAGE BELOW.

Dear Colleagues:

It is my pleasure to inform you that the National Science Foundation has
started accepting application to the 2005 Science and Engineering Institutes
Summer Program (formerly the East Asia and Pacific Summer Institutes
program), which includes the Summer Institute in Taiwan program.

The program provides U.S. graduate students first-hand experience in Taiwan
research environments, an introduction to the science and R/D infrastructure
in Taiwan, and language training.  The primary goals of the programs are to
introduce students to Taiwan science and engineering in the context of a
research laboratory and to initiate personal relationships that will better
enable them to collaborate with foreign counterparts in the future.

This program, co-sponsored by the NSF in U.S. and the National Science
Council (NSC) in Taiwan, has received positive feedbacks from graduate
students and their professors since its inauguration in 2000.  This year, in
the summer of 2004, 26 U.S. graduate students visited Taiwan and
participated in research program of their field.

We hope that you would support this program and encourage your graduate
students to take advantage of this great opportunity to expand their
knowledge and research collaboration to an international level.  We would
also appreciate it very much if you would help pass this information to the
Graduate Student Office and ask them to post the information on the website.
The application deadline is December 10, 2004.

Detail information of the 2005 Science and Engineering Institutes Summer
program is available at NSF's website:
http://www.nsf.gov/pubsys/ods/getpub.cfm?nsf03608.  I am also attaching a
list of the 2004 host institutions in Taiwan for your reference.   If you
have any question, please feel free to let me know.  You may also contact
Dr. William Chang, Senior Program Manager, NSF, at [log in to unmask]

Best regards,

Yaw-Nan Chen
Director, Science and Technology Division
Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States
(TECRO)
4201 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016
TEL: (202) 895-1930