Skip repetitive navigational links
Next (less recent) in topic | Previous (more recent) in topic
Next (less recent) by same author | Previous (more recent) by same author

Learning Center Rules

John Orr <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:41:48 -0800

text/plain

Dear Kathy,

Here at Fullerton College, we have a few such rules:

In the Skills Center (75 computer stations):

No food or drink.
No socializing (especially loud talk of any duration)
No downloading; no chat or e-mail (except for educational purpose
related to skill development), no web surfing (except as part of skill
development activities), no changing our desktop, plus the regular
"acceptable use" policies put out by campus IT Dept. No unsupervised
small children (big liability issue if they get injured)  (No children
at all, except during periods of registration, when some parents with
children may be in the area for a short period.) No cell phones (put on
mute; leave area if you will converse) No listening to CDs, radio, other
music while doing academic work (instructors wouldn't approve for
classwork, so we don't approve it here)

In the Tutoring Center:

We have an agreement that all users of the Center sign.  The agreement
also states that, whether or not the agreement is signed, use of the
Center implies acceptance of the agreement's rules.   The text is below
(no attachments allowed on the listserv).

THE TUTORING CENTER AGREEMENT
2003
Welcome to the Fullerton College Tutoring Center! We are here to help
you to succeed! We appreciate your cooperation with our policies so that
you and other students will benefit from a successful tutoring
experience.

1) Student I.D.s: Since the tutoring staff maintains a data collection
system by scanning in student I.D.s, I agree to
 bring my student current I.D. to each tutoring session or buy one if I
need one.

2) Respect: Every student has the right to be treated with respect and
courtesy by tutors. I understand it is my
responsibility to also treat the tutoring staff with respect and
courtesy.  A complete list of guidelines for student conduct is
published in the Policies Relating to Students. It is available upon
request.

3) Food/furniture: The Tutoring Center provides a refreshment- and
food-free environment.  We also appreciate your
 cooperation in maintaining our furniture by keeping your feet on the
floor.

4) Quiet atmosphere: The Tutoring Center maintains a quiet
study/tutoring atmosphere so that all students can
 benefit. Cell phones: The Tutoring Center is a cell-phone free
environment. Please step outside the Center if
your phone rings/pager beeps or if you check messages. Otherwise, keep
your cell/pager on quiet mode.

5) Appointment cancellation: Tutees need to call 24 hours in advance to
cancel an appointment. Should any tutee
 accumulate two no-shows or two late cancellations (defined as calling
to cancel an appointment after 6:00 p.m.
at the desk the night before), s/he will lose the opportunity for
appointment tutoring for the remainder of the
semester.     Walk-in tutoring is still available for these tutees. In
cases where either a tutor or a tutee is
late, both need to wait 15 minutes for each other. Exceptions to these
policies include sickness and
emergencies.

6) Appointments: The Tutoring Center provides two hours of appointment
tutoring per week per subject.  EOPS
 students may receive three hours per week per subject. There is no
limit for walk-in tutoring. Students may    not be tutored during their
classes.

7) Special subjects: If you need a tutor for a special subject, ask the
receptionist for the Tutor Request Form.
8) Changing tutors: If necessary, the coordinator may change tutors
without the tutor's/tutee's permission.

9) Tutor's guidelines: The tutor will attempt his/her best to provide
guidance, knowledge, and understanding as needed.
Tutors, however, will not do any tutee's homework, take-home tests or
any portion of a writing assignment or
project. Tutors may assist in problem solving by writing on scratch
paper, not on student work.

10) Student responsibilities: Students do their own work and edit their
own papers.  Students keep pencils in their
 hands and their papers directly in front of them at all times.
Students agree to come prepared by bringing
 appropriate materials and also specific questions to the tutoring
session. If the tutee doesn't come prepared,
s/he is not guaranteed tutoring.
Use of the Tutoring Center's services implies agreement with these
policies whether or not a student has read them. Tutoring services are a
privilege for all Fullerton College students. If a student violates one
or more of these policies, he may be given a verbal warning, and the
student's privilege to use the Tutoring Center may be suspended for the
remainder of that semester.

Hope this helps.

John Orr
Director, Academic Support Programs and Services
Fullerton College
Fullerton, California 92832

(714) 992-7552