***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/ *****
An article on Google's attempt [orkut.com] to join the social
The last sentence in the article is real telling: "Orkut would spend
weeks coding just to gain new friends. How cool is that?"
But the *real story* is here...
* this past weekend people went nuts on orkut.com, massive sign-ups and
sending out of invitations to friends[Orkut is invite-only]...
* people were begging for invites -- posting pleas on discussion lists
* email boxes of many people were full of Orkut invites [join me on
Orkut] and responses [requests-can I be your friend? and approvals-yes
I know this person as a friend].
* just like any spiraling activity this started slow on Friday but by
Sunday was at a feverish pitch. Google took the site down on Sunday
night. And it is still down[Tue PM EST]... they say they are doing
'maintenance' and 'updates'.
* the 72 hour internet bubble?
Imagine what the Google IPO will be like...
SOCNET is a service of INSNA, the professional association for social
network researchers (http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/). To unsubscribe, send
an email message to [log in to unmask] containing the line
UNSUBSCRIBE SOCNET in the body of the message.