Re: Counter Grumbles

Glen Murphy <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 1 May 2004 17:12:32 +1000

text/plain

I'm with Baz,

I think it's pretty clear to all that you've been pushing this thing
pretty hard for the last 4-6 weeks.  And in contrast to other
conferences (e.g. Sunbelt or the Academy of Management) it comes across
as being a vehicle driven by yourself (and all the connotations that go
along with that), rather than an institution committed to the sharing of
knowledge about a particular area.

As to Barry's comments being a flame, apart from his comments being spot
on I've seen him get a hell of a lot more grumpy about HTML e-mails !!!
:>)

It is also pretty obvious that the list has been "visited" by
consultants or the like in far more in the last 12 months.  This in
itself is not a problem but it's not the first time the point has been
made about "lazy questions".  Even if you search for social networks in
Amazon, Wasserman & Faust's (1994) and Scott's (1994 & 2000) texts pop
up (among others) both of which are an excellent starting point for
beginning to truly understand the field.  Bottom line - people don't
like getting taken for granted.

Cheers, Glen.

Glen D. Murphy
 PhD Candidate