]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  May 2004

SOCNET May 2004

Re: Social network analysis of structure of MSE business clusters

Carlos Quandt <[log in to unmask]>

Carlos Quandt <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 May 2004 15:21:27 -0300

text/plain

Rick,
I have been studying business/industrial/high-tech SME clusters (mainly in
Brazil) for many years, but I am new to SNA.
After a recent UNIDO workshop on Latin American clusters, I decided to
develop a research project precisely on the use of social network analysis
in research into SME clusters. The focus should be on how the interactions
of the different public and private agents support innovation within
territorial networks. However, I am not aware of any prior application of
SNA to research on clusters, except for the useful contribution (as usual)
from Valdis about network building in that context. I am looking forward to
the research results from the ACEnet experience. Perhaps you and possibly
other list members could be interested in developing comparative studies, or
share any ideas on how to approach the subject?
Thank you
Carlos

Prof. Carlos O. Quandt, Ph.D.
Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Paraná - PUCPR
Rua Imaculada Conceição, 1155 - Bloco Acadêmico Prado Velho 80215-901 -
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Tel.: 55-41-271-1476 / 271-1634 - Fax: 55-41-271-1638 [log in to unmask]

-----------------------------------
>Re: Social network analysis of structure of MSE business clusters

Here is a non-academic article I co-wrote with a client of mine -- June
Holley of ACEnet -- about building economic networks in SE Ohio.  This
'white paper' was aimed at economic developers, community organizers and
foundations with very little, or no social network knowledge.  This is
ACEnet's direct experience of weaving networks within the emerging food
industry/cluster in Appalachia.

We will likely present our actual data gathered annually over the last 3
years, at next year's Sunbelt in LA.

An updated version of this article will be in the upcoming issue of
Nonprofit Quarterly.

-- http://www.orgnet.com/BuildingNetworks.pdf

Valdis