]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  May 2004

SOCNET May 2004

Re: UCINET AND INTERAGENCY COLLABORATION

Bill Richards <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 1 May 2004 22:49:25 -0700

text/plain

There's a fantastic opportunity to learn about network analysis software
and analytic strategies in a series of workshops at the upcoming twenty
fourth annual International Sunbelt Social Network Conference in
Slovenia. There will be about 300 network researchers from over three
dozen countries there. The conference web page is
vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/info/sunbelt24/ The workshop page is
vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/info/sunbelt24/workshops.htm

First is the satellite symposium organized by Tom Snijders -- **Dynamics
of Networks and Behavior**. May 10-11. This two-day symposium is about
methods, models, and empirical applications concerning the mutual
influence between the dynamics of relational networks and the dynamics
of individual behavior (including individual attitudes, performance,
etc.). The focus is on linking theoretical, statistical, and substantive
empirical research on dynamics in complete networks. The symposium is a
satellite meeting to the XXIV Sunbelt Conference in Portorož, Slovenia
(May 12-16, 2004) <http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/info/sunbelt24/>. You can
read more about it at vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/info/sunbelt24/dynamics.htm

The other workshops are all on May 12.

Barry Wellman, the founder of INSNA, does a workshop every year at the
conference -- *Networks for Newbies*
This is a non-technical introduction to social network analysis. It
describes the development for social network analysis, some key
concepts, and some key substantive methods and findings. It is aimed at
newcomers to the field, and those who have only seen social network
analysis as a method. vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/info/sunbelt24/NewbiesWS.htm

Steve Borgatti and Martin Everett do a workshop on UCINET --
*Introduction to the Analysis of Network Data via UCINET and NetDraw
*A beginners tutorial on the concepts, methods and data analysis
techniques of social network analysis. The course begins with a general
introduction to the distinct goals and perspectives of network analysis,
followed by a practical discussion of network data, covering issues of
collection, validity, visualization, and mathematical/computer
representation. We then take up the methods of detection and description
of structural properties such as centrality, cohesion, subgroups, cores,
roles, etc. Finally, we consider how to frame and test network
hypotheses. An important element of this workshop is that all
participants are given a demonstration version of UCINET 6 for Windows
and the Netmap visualization software, which we use to provide hands-on
experience analyzing real data using the techniques covered in the
workshop. In order to participate fully in the workshop, participants
should bring laptop computers so that they can run the analyses on their
machines at the same time as they are being demonstrated by the
instructors. vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/info/sunbelt24/UcinetWS.htm

Vladimir Batagelj, Andrej Mrvar, and Wouter de Nooy offer a workshop on
Pajek -- *Analysis of Large Networks*
The workshop consists of three parts. In the first part we present an
introduction to the use of Pajek based on our textbook on social network
analysis '/Exploratory Social Network Analysis with Pajek/'. In the
second part we present some efficient approaches (valued cores,
triangular and short cycle connectivity, citation weights, pattern
search, generalized blockmodeling, islands) to analysis and
visualization of real-life large network (genealogies, collaboration
networks, citation networks, Internet networks, dictionary networks,
2-mode networks). We will also discuss the 'fine-tuning' of Pajek's
layouts (pictures). In the last part participants will have an
opportunity to discuss about the use of Pajek (questions, suggestions,
analysis of specific data...).
To actively follow the workshop bring your laptop with you. A
description of the workshop and a link to the program Pajek are at
vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/info/sunbelt24/PajekWS.htm

Tom Snijders offers the Seina workshop -- *The Analysis of Longitudinal
Social Network Data*
Longitudinal social network data are understood in this workshop as two
or more repeated observations of a directed graph on a given node set
(usually between 30 and 100 nodes, sometimes up to a few hundreds). In
other words, this workshop is about statistical modeling of the dynamics
of complete networks. The workshop teaches the statistical method to
analyze such data, as described in /Sociological Methodology - 2001/, p.
361-395, and implemented in the /SIENA/ program. The statistical model
used for the network evolution allows various network effects
(reciprocity, transitivity, cycles, popularity, etc.), effects of
individual covariates (covariates connected to the sender, the receiver,
or the similarity between sender and receiver), and of dyadic
covariates. One interpretation of this model is an actor-oriented model
where the nodes are actors whose choices determine the network
evolution. A lot more information about the workshop and the software
are at vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/info/sunbelt24/SienaWS.htm

Isidro Maya Jariego and José Luis Molina are presenting a workshop in
Spanish -- *IV Mesa Hispana para el análisis de redes sociales
*The aim of this workshop is to provide a space for researchers from
Iberoamerica interested in the network perspective to present their
ongoing projects and join the international community. The workshop is
structured in two parts: a presentation of the state of the art by the
organizers and a brief presentation of papers by the participants. For
more information, see vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/info/sunbelt24/SpanishWS.htm

The conference website and registration forms are available at the INSNA
website named below. The */International Sunbelt Social Network
Conference XXIV/*, sponsored by the */International Network for Social
Network Analysis/* <http://www.sfu.ca/%7Einsna/> (INSNA), takes place in
the four days after the workshops, It provides an interdisciplinary
forum for social scientists, mathematicians, computer scientists,
ethnologists and all others interested in social networks. Conference
sessions allow individuals interested in theory, methods or applications
of social networks to share ideas and explore common interests.