SOCNET July 2004

payment of INSNA membership and Sunbelt

Bill Richards <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:17:10 -0700

text/plain

If you used the INSNA web membership and conference registration system
and paid the fees with a credit card, you would have seen a series of
screens that look like the following. (I can't send a message with
embedded gifs with SOCNET, so I've put the images on the INSNA web site
and have put links to them in the text below instead.)

This one is part of the main registration screen where you indicate how
you want to pay the fees:

http://www.insna.org/images/pay%20by.gif

This one is where you enter your credit card information. Note the upper
left corner that says "SFU ACS WebPayment." Payment is handled by the
system at Simon Fraser University's secure system that they use for
tuition and other types of payments::

http://www.insna.org/images/pay1a.gif

This screen is the receipt that you see when the transaction has been
completed. If you see this screen, it means that the bank that Simon
Fraser uses has contacted the bank that your credit card uses with the
transaction information and that everything is okay (your account number
is correct, the card has not expired, the card has not been restricted
so it cannot be used for transactions with SFU -- a Canadian university,
etc.) and that your account has been debited and the INSNA account at
SFU has been credited.

http://www.insna.org/images/pay2a.gif

Please note the bottom line of the receipt which states how the charge
will appear on your credit card statement. It will say "S.F.U - ACS
WebPayment". It will not say "INSNA".

The purpose of this message is to remind you about that strange entry on
your credit card statement for a vendor you never heard of and don't
recall having purchased anything from.  Please do not ask your bank or
credit card company to refuse payment of this transaction and please do
not ask them to get your money back some time later when you review your
old statements and discover an entry you don't recognize for "S.F.U -
ACS WebPayment."

If you are like most people, you probably didn't print the page shown
above and there is a good chance that you didn't pay much attention to
it when it appeared on your screen. If you asked someone to take care of
the registration for you, you are probably even less likely to have seen
the information about how the charge will appear on your credit card
statement. If you used a credit card issued by the university or company
you work for, will they know what that charge for "S.F.U - ACS
WebPayment"  is about?

If you do request refusal of payment or a refund, your bank will send a
"chargeback" to SFU's bank and the money will be taken out of the INSNA
account. The administrator at SFU will send me an email message telling
me about another chargeback. I will try to figure out which transaction
has been contested (sometimes the name on the credit card is not the
name of the person whose membership, subscription, or registration were
being paid for) and then attempt to contact you to get things
straightened out. If I am unable to track you down, your INSNA
membership, Social Networks subscription, etc., will be canceled. I
don't like doing that.

best regards,
Bill