PSYART July 2004, Week 2

FW: Teacher-training rife with incompetents??

Murray Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:10:27 -0400

text/plain

From: John V. Knapp [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Subject: Teacher-training rife with incompetents??

Kathryn et al., --

As one who has been training teachers for over three decades, I find your
generalizations both erroneous and mildly amusing.  Upon what evidence are
you basing your argument?  Which teacher-training institutions/individuals
are "incompetent" and how do you know?  Were the "morons" who declined to
teach something about "Prussians" really lazy or did they merely have a
bias against Junker militarism? :-) I certainly agree that teacher
training in many places needs substantial reconsideration (see my essay in
*Style* (34.4) about why), but frankly, laziness is not the major problem.
In the face of the real problem, it's just too easy to lash out at those
underpaid and overworked familiar scapegoats, the teachers.

The decline of reading skills is a culture-wide phenomenon, and in
reading's fall, we sinned all.  Many parents are too busy to read stories
to their children at bedtime, many use TV as an omnipresent babysitter,
many teachers give up fighting the tide of weak or non-readers and tune
into to Channel One instead of preparing a class, and some college
teachers include "graphic novels" on their course syllabi.  I am waiting
breathlessly for the day when someone in a doctoral program wants to write
a Preliminary examination on "graphic fiction" instead of, say, British
Romanticism!

When the NY Times Magazine (07/11/04) devotes front page and a very large
article to "graphic novels" instead of, for example, the recent wave of
very exciting fiction (in French now but one hopes soon to be translated
into English) coming out of French-speaking Africa, then one can see what
seems to be important to the American culture-at-large.  One key feature
in that article refers to the "short attention span" of viewers of comix.
Is that learned-response problem the fault only of the teachers?

JVK

**************
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Murray Schwartz wrote:

> From: Kathryn WILDGEN [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
> Subject: Re: FW: [Fwd: For PSYART:]
>
> "There is some evidence that the
>         teacher-training profession is rife with
>         incompetents who crank out feebly educated
>         teachers of reading."
>
> Truer words were never spoken. I recall distinctly the Crayola Crayons
> Company decision to give up the color "Prussian Blue" because teachers
> complained that their pupils didn't know what Prussians were. It never
> occurred to these morons to use this opportunity to educate their
> pupils about Prussians. How much do you want to bet the teachers
> themselves didn't know what Prussians were and were too lazy to find
> out? Kathryn
>
> -- Murray Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Dear Psyarters,
>
> Gina Stack makes the point that the decline of reading is related to
> the cultural spaces of young people.  This seems very true to me, and
> I would add that the spaces she mentions preclude another space, the
> aesthetic space of reading itself.  My undergraduate students, for
> example, do read.  They read on the internet, they read short stuff on
> screens or intermixed with images (they love Spiegelman's Maus and
> other comix novels).  Of course they love movies and TV.  What is
> becoming rare, though, is the protected space of deep aesthetic
> concentration that can make reading a transformative experience.
> Reading takes time and requires a space apart from others and
> impingements, and this space and time are hard to seek and find in
> American culture.  And, when found, this space can (at first) seem
> threatening.
>
>    --Best, Murray
>
>         From: Gina M. Stack [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
>         Subject: RE: [Fwd: For PSYART:]
>
>         Marv:
>
>         The reason I believe reading does not sustain the
>         interest level is that generally it does not help
>         create or support popular culture, for example
>         current music trends, popular language or fashion
>         style.  Movies and television have a significant
>         impact on these the importance of which I believe,
>         is that it is a way to feel connected and to
>         belong both to immediate groups and to society in
>         general.
>
>         Gina
>

>         Gina M. Stack
>         President & CEO
>         IriSys Inc.
>         8810 Rehco Road
>         Suite F
>         San Diego, CA 92121
>         Tel:  858-623-1520
>         Fax: 858-623-1525
>         www.IriSys.com
>

>         This is an e-mail from IriSys Inc. the contents of
>         which are privileged and confidential and intended
>         for the use of the ordinary user of the e-mail
>         address to which it was addressed.  No one else
>         may copy or forward all or any of it in any form.
>         If you receive this e-mail in error, IriSys would
>         be obliged if you would telephone the Director of
> [...]

John V. Knapp

Professor, Dept. of English;
Editorial Board, *Style;*        [log in to unmask]
Northern Illinois University     http://www.niu.edu/english/jvk/knapp.htm
330 Reavis Hall                  Office Phone: (815) 753-6632
Dekalb  60115  USA

        To depreciate a Book maliciously, or even wantonly, is
        at least a very ill-natured office; and a morose snarling
        Critic may, I believe, be suspected to be a bad Man.
                Henry Fielding,  *Tom Jones.*