PSYART July 2004, Week 2

FW: Crappy teachers

Murray Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:18:38 -0400

text/plain

From: Dianne Hunter [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Subject: Crappy teachers

I think our educational system is corrupt and fraudulent. I see a
relationship between the failures of American schools to educate and the
scandals at Enron & Co., various journalistic frauds etc.  I think the two
Bushes make one wonder about the quality of what Yale is passing along:
neither one of these presidents can speak coherently.  I think system-wide
grade inflation, cooked data for U.S. NEWS AND WORLD REPORT, fraudulent
academic titles (i.e. Distinguished Professorships awarded to people who
have never written well-received books or in some cases, any books or
substantial articles at all), "discussion" classes (which I must say I have
always found bullshitical), the systematic avoiding of exams for fear of
having to define what it is students are expected to know and for fear of
having to confront their ignorance and the time-consuming aftermath--all
contribute to a pervasive ideology in our schools that perception=substance,
and thus to systematic misstatements of assets and buryings of liabilities.
Giving any grade lower than a B- occasions an uproar.  Giving an exam seems
to occasion an epidemic of dying grandmothers.

The reigning idea seems to be that if one can make it look good, that's all
that is required; substance is taken to be equivalent to perceptions.  If
one can manipulate how one is perceived that in itself is taken for
achievement.  In addition to all the regular Honors handed out at various
academic ceremonies maybe we should just come right out and give an award
for Best Con.  I suspect the executives who misstated their assets at Enron
etc., journalist-fabulators at TNR, TIMES et al. are products
of a system thriving on tacit understanding that transacting business is all
con: In school, the assigned reading is not done, grades below B- are "not
done."  Confronting ignorance or working on one's liabilities is "not done,"
for that, this (mistaken) ideology goes, would be impossible (i.e. a whole
lot of work).

 Dianne Hunter

------ End of Forwarded Message