SOCNET August 2004

Re: SNA and Organizational Performance

Ajay Mehra <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:23:12 -0400

text/plain

Wendi--

You may also want to obtain a copy of this meta-analytic report:

Balkundi, P., & Harrison, D.A. Networks, leaders, and time in teams:
Connections to viability and performance.

You can request a copy of the paper from Prasad at: [log in to unmask]

Good luck,

Ajay

-----Original Message-----
From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Steve Borgatti
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 10:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SNA and Organizational Performance

Hi Wendi. Lots of references on how networks affect performance (see
annotated bibliography by Brass at
http://www.analytictech.com/networks/Brass_consequences.doc ), but fewer
about how network *analysis* affects performance, since this is mostly
done by consultants. Even so, there are a few accounts out there. I'll
skip the self-references and suggest this idea you might not have
thought of: Doing a social network analysis is a technical approach to
what many managers do informally, which is to understand the networks
around them. So let's equate them. Now, there is a literature on how
people vary in their understandings of networks (see the work by
Krackhardt, Casciaro, Kumbasar, Brewer etc) and I think some of this
literature discusses the consequences for the manager and potentially
the organization of having a better understanding. See in particular
Krackhardt's HBR piece and his account of the failure to unionize
silicon systems (in the nohria book).

steve

Steve Borgatti

Organization Studies Dept