EOC Briefing #2 Summary - Hurr. Jeanne

Jeff Capehart <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:38:08 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Per the EOC briefing from Alachua County, the following actions will be
taken:

EOC will go to Level II-Partial Activation at noon today.
Rumor Control and the Crisis Center hotlines will be activated.

SATURDAY--
EOC will go to Level I activation in the morning.
Shelters will be opened around noon.  (Same as usual, more or less)
Recommendations will be issued to evacuate the following residents:
1) Mobile Homes
2) Low-lying flood prone areas
3) Anyone with special needs (life saving equipt. needing power)

The UF/Kentucky football game may be moved up to 11:00 am Saturday
UF will be announcing by 1;00 p.m. whether it will be closed Monday.
(Check the UF official Web site at http://www.ufl.edu for info.)
UF will also make a decision about opening shelters on campus.

Sandbags will be available at Wayside park, on US 441 near Hague.  Sand is
already there, but more sandbags will be delivered.

-----

AVAILABILITY

If you are available to work radio communications, please let me know
ASAP.   We had several people out of town last time and others are
planning on going out of town.   Please advise what position you would
like to work and any requirements or restrictions you have.

GARC is being tasked with staffing for the W4DFU club station, UPD, and
any UF shelters that may open.  For other community Red Cross shelters,
please contact Ron Meder, W8MSH, at 338-0192.   I am coordinating staffing
at the Alachua County Emergency Operations Center (EOC).

The plan is to ensure reliable communications between the EOC, Red Cross
HQ, the various shelters, and any other agencies that need reliable comms
to the county EOC.  Once the danger of service interruption has passed,
and reliable comms are available by regular land-line telephone or
cellular phone, then Amateur Radio can stand down.

The National Weather Service briefing indicates an expected landfall of
Hurricane Jeanne as a Category 2 storm near Vero Beach/Ft. Pierce and
then weakening to Category 1.  The difficult guess will be where it turns
and when.

So far Alachua County may be west of the center and experience less
severe weather.  The potential for tornadic activity is low.  We may see
outer fringes of rain bands and windy/squalls Saturday evening/night.

The worst day for the storm is expected to be Sunday and Monday conditions
will begin to improve.  However, we can expect 1-4" of rainfall, 20-25 mph
winds Saturday with higher gusts, and 25-35 mph winds with gusts up to 60
mph on Sunday and into Monday early hours.

http://www.alachua-em.org/stormwatch/track.htm

The next briefing will be at 4:30 pm today, with report to follow.

Thanks,
Jeff
W4UFL