PSYART September 2004, Week 2

FW: the first "creature feature" [long]

Murray Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:09:53 -0400

text/plain

From: William Benzon [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Subject: the first "creature feature" [long]

Dear Psyarters,

I've gone down the rabbit hole on one of those Winsor McCay films.  Here's a
whole pile of notes I've put together on it, including a fairly extensive
synopsis.  While I'd appreciate any comments you might have, I've got a
fairly specific and simple question for the film buffs:  Given the synopsis,
is this little film the first "creature feature" in "American cinema?

I can't imagine how people in 1921 would have reacted to this
subtle-then-blatent masterpiece of creepology.

Bill B

*******

Point of reference:  King Kong was made in 1933.

Running Time: c. 10 min 30 sec

Now, let's take a closer look at one of McCay's 1921 films, "The Pet."  This
is one of those dream films.  In this case the dream is the husband's dream
and it is about a stray animal that his wife takes in as a pet.

There are two defining characteristics of this creature:  1.) It just grows
and grows and eats and eats and grows and grows.  2.) In both its being and
its actions it violates boundary after boundary.  These are both obvious
enough, but the first could be pointed out by a six-year old while the
latter requires some considerable sophistication to formulate explicitly.
The six-year old can easily tell you that it both is and is not a cat ­ and
be puzzled by this, that it eats things it shouldn¹t ­ like a coffee pot and
a pile of coal; a twenty-six year old could tell you these things as well.
But summing it all up as a succession of boundary violations, that would
require an article-length piece of academic analysis.

The eating and eating and growing and growing are perfectly visible,
concrete events.  Each and every one of the boundary violations is also
concrete and visible; but the characterization of all those events as
³boundary violation² is abstract. One easily notices all those violations,
the seem odd, strange, unsettling, and so forth. So, what¹s the relationship
between that abstract pattern and the ³primary process² thinking of the
Freudian unconscious?

* * * * *

1. As the movie opens he and she are lying in bed and he (Col. B.) remarks
that he had a delicious Welsh Rarebit for dinner (at his club?) that
evening.  She remarks that Welsh Rarebit generally gives him bad dreams.
They go to sleep.

Thus we know the ³cause² of the weird events to follow.  Also, it becomes
quickly apparent that this is a comfortable middle-class household.  Hubby
is, after all, a (presumably retired) colonel.

2. As the dream opens we see this little animal walking through the front
yard of the house toward the front door.  It looks like a floppy-eared
mongrel dog. It opens its mouth to make a sound and we see "MEOW" written on
the image near the dog's head. That, of course, is the conventional
rendering of a cat's cry, not a dog's bark.  So, it looks like a dog but
makes a cat's noise.

3. As the creature moves into the open doorway the Mrs. B. spots it an picks
it up. She (standing in profile) makes a big fuss over it, holding it,
hugging it, kissing it on the snout (twice) and lifting it in the air ­ the
sort of thing one might do with an infant.

4. She then gives it a bath, which takes some seconds.  It swims around in
the tub a bit.

5. She puts a bow around its neck, names it ³Cutey² (after her husband) and
places it in the yard where it prances around is a way most strange.  It
bounces up and down keeping all four legs straight ­ and ³bounce² is the
word, a straight-legged bounce.  Dogs don¹t move like that, nor do cats, nor
does any animal ­ unless it has extraordinary strength in its toes; perhaps
a kangaroo hops something like this on its hind legs.  The pet meets the
Colonel (presumably) on return from work.

The creature¹s eyes have no pupils.  It¹s not clear to me just when that
become apparent.

6.  He and she have a conversation (sitting face to face on a pair of
chairs) about the Pet and he goes off to bed.

7. Then she feeds it a saucer of milk -- appropriate for a kitten, but not a
puppy.  As it drinks the milk, it grows visibly larger in proportion as the
milk recedes in the saucer. When done the pet tips the saucer on to its back
and walks off the screen to the right.

By now it¹s clear that we're stuck with a very strange creature. On the
evidence presented to us on the screen, it is both dog and cat, or neither.
Without being particularly weird or grotesque at this point, this is
nonetheless a strange creature, a sport, a monster, an impossibility.  As
the creature gets larger its back seems to become a bit humped.

8. Now Mrs. B. puts the pet to bed, tucking it into an empty baby crib.
Nowhere in the film is there any evidence that the couple has or has had
children ­ on the face of it, he appears old enough to have grand children.

9. Once she leaves the pet tosses and turns a bit and then kicks off its
covers and proceeds to perform acrobatic stunts on the crib railings.  It
then leaves its bedroom ­ by now its larger than it was when it first
appeared ­ and walks into the bedroom of Col. and Mrs. B.

10. In that bedroom it bounces on the covers and crawls under them between
the Col. and his wife.

11.  The Col. leaves the bed and goes to sleep on the living-room couch.
The pet then follows him and awakens him while growing larger before our
eyes.

12. Now we¹re in the kitchen.  Mrs. B, is setting the table for breakfast.
Cat in lower left.  Pet enters from right, goes under table (which is
covered with a cloth) and then comes out and harasses the cat. The cat is
much smaller than the pet, which MEOWs at it.  And then eats it in a single
bit.  The Mrs. doesn¹t see this.

Cut to next scene.

13.  Now we see the table fully set, with the Col. to the right, Mrs. B. to
the left.  The pet enters from the left, behind the table, and climbs into a
chair in the middle.  The pet then eats everything on the table.  The Col.
leaves (in disgust).  At last it gets to the coffee pot, at which point the
wife leaves as well.   Once it¹s consumed the pot itself it continues
chewing on the chord, which goes down through the middle of the table.  It
finally pulls the chord out, and tips over backward.

Cut to next scene.

14. The Col. enters the pharmacy and asks how he can ³murder² (the word used
on the title slide) his wife¹s latest pet, which has gotten out of control.
He¹s told to order ³Rough on Rats.²  So he places an order for it to be
delivered.  He explicitly tells the Doc he¹ll phone him when he wants the
poison to be delivered.

Cut.

15.  Back at home, the pet walks down the cellar stairs to the basement and
into the coal bin, where it proceeds to devour the entire pile ­ not exactly
standard issue puppy chow. It grows some more.

16. It returns to the parlor ­ now appearing to be man-high at the shoulder
­ eats a lamp, a bust of a pedestal, a clock of the mantel, and the family
bird (along with its perch).  Note that it has now eaten another living
creature.

17. It goes outside and comes along side the house beneath a window.
There¹s a garden hose coiled on the ground and attached to a spigot which is
obviously open as water is coming out of the hose, which is moving about in
the air.  The pet sticks its head into the water flow and moves his muzzle
around in the water, as though washing.  He then bites the nozzle and
proceeds to ingest the hose while ballooning up with water.  The Col. and
the Mrs. appear together in the window, looking out at the pet, which then
squirts water at the from its mouth and deflates accordingly.  They move
away from the window.

18. The pet lies down.  And then it gets up when a barrel labeled ³Rough on
Rats² is delivered from the left on a hand-cart.  We don¹t see more than the
hands and forearms of the man pushing the cart.

*** [roughly three-quarters of the way through]

19. The pet consumes everything in the barrel.  Then it stiffens and begins
to shake and quiver. The pet then stands still as boils begin to break out
on its skin and they become more and more plentiful and larger and larger
until it is entirely covered in them. At the maximum we see drops of pus
coming from the pet. (I didn¹t consciously see them until the 5th or 6th
viewing.)

During this scene Mrs. B appears at the window and then walks away in
obvious hand-waving distress.

This is as creepy and disgusting an image as I've seen in any film.  Just
when you think you can't stand it anymore . . .

20. The boils recede, the creature's skin clears up entirely, and it just
keeps growing and growing.

[It takes roughly 13 seconds for the boils to proliferate and then finally
recede.]

The poison was ineffectual.  The Colonel¹s drastic attempt to bring his
wife's pet under control by killing it has failed utterly.

21. As the boils recede, the pet shakes and quivers a bit more, just like it
had done upon finishing the poison. It stands up on its hind legs and walks
off to the left (the direction from which the poison was delivered).

***

22. Now on all fours, it walks to the edge of the yard, takes a bite out of
the stone fence, and the walks out of the yard.

23. The Col. reports the all-but rampaging pet to the police.  ³Don¹t
capture, kill.²

24. Still in a residential neighborhood, the creature, now as high as a
house, eats a tree and then a parked car, revealing a man underneath who¹d
obviously been working on it.

25. Walks into the center of the city.  It¹s now of a size comparable to the
large buildings in the city.  It reaches down with its head and devours a
trolley car, then some buildings, a large storage tank.

26. It¹s now large enough to dominate the skyline.  We see it moving through
the city. Planes come in view, a dirigible, and then another.  It snatches
planes out of the air with its mouth, consumes a dirigible.

27.  We see bombs falling all over the place.  The pet explodes, Blam!!

28.  Massive destruction.  Debris rains from the sky for some seconds and we
see the remains of buildings.  The pet is nowhere to be seen, but much of
the city has been destroyed.

29. The couple wakes up, glance at one another.  End of film.

* * * * *

First, why frame this story as a dream?  The question arises simply because
the dream-frame is no more than that, a frame. This is not a dream that
arises in the context of a larger story. This dream is the story.

One thing the frame does is establish that this is not real.  But that¹s not
a sufficient reason.  That could be done by telling the story straight and
calling it a fantasy in the title.  Even without that, the unreality would
become obvious enough.  It could be the unreality of a different world
somewhere on a different planet.

But by calling it a dream the story is projected into the purely mental
realm and set over against mundane reality.  ³This is something that
happened in the mind of folks just like you and me.²  That¹s one thing the
dream frame does.

But there are various ways of presenting a dream.  You could, for example,
present it through a conversation between one person and another.  But
that¹s not how this is presented.  The dream is presented directly to us, as
though we are privy to it as it happens.  Perhaps it is our dream.

Not quite.  Rather, it¹s presented to us as the dream of a person we see on
the screen.  It¹s the dream of a married man, whom we see going to bed with
his wife.  The dream is about his wife, the woman sleeping next to him as
the dream transpires.

That would seem to make the dream into a manifestation of the relationship
between a man and his wife.  Could it be something as simple as male anxiety
about children?  There are obvious cues in that direction, but I¹m not sure
what those cues get us.

It seems to me that what¹s central to this film is that interactions with
this creature result in an out of control process (cf. Akira or even the
Metropolis movie).  The wife invites it in, and the husband initially tries
to ³bracket² it.  It would seem he orders up the poison on his own.  But, by
the time the creature has consumed the cat, the coal, and the bird, the wife
is with her husband on this matter ­ as we see when both are in the window.
By the time the creature has become covered with boils she¹s horrified and
he, presumably, has gone to alert the authorities.  At this point whatever
the dynamic is, it has grown beyond the two of them and is rampaging through
society at large.